It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Equifax breach exposes 143 million people to identity theft

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This is horrible news for anyone that has ever used credit. Now cyber-criminals have access to your social security number, drivers license number and credit card accounts. I assume this will affect most U.S. members here on ATS and sadly there really isn't much we can do about it now.

I would recommend keeping a close eye on all your accounts for at least the next few months and also you should monitor your credit reports to see if any new credit has been opened in your name.

This is still only the second largest hack behind Yahoo, but then again Yahoo doesn't have my SS# or my credit cards.

The theft obtained consumers' names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some cases, driver's license numbers. The purloined data can be enough for crooks to hijack the identities of people whose credentials were stolen through no fault of their own, potentially wreaking havoc on their lives.

Source

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Here's another source..

motherboard.vice.com... n=Motherboard+Premium+Newsletter+-+97&utm_content=Motherboard+Premium+Newsletter+-+97+CID_b2e62588fe1c9c52faf7fd6004785421&utm_medium=email&utm_source =Campaign+Monitor&utm_term=Read+more

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Great.

Another micro-managing scheme gone awry.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I use this service. I wonder what will come of it or the bureau now that this has happened.

Their web page:

www.isitdownrightnow.com...

Down.

ugh....

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: baddmove
Here's another source..

motherboard.vice.com... n=Motherboard+Premium+Newsletter+-+97&utm_content=Motherboard+Premium+Newsletter+-+97+CID_b2e62588fe1c9c52faf7fd6004785421&utm_medium=email&utm_source =Campaign+Monitor&utm_term=Read+more

They probably outsourced their IT to India..

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
What a luck that people have nothing to hide in the web...
How good that big data makes everything sooo comfortable...

Good that we in germany still have other choices than to use the web for everything.
I would never do homebanking or anything personal in the web. If i startpage my own name, nothing. No pics, no videos of me. Just really nothing. I don´t use e-mails, just "throw away" e-mail addresses, that delete themselves after 60 minutes. So i can sign up on forums like ATS, or if signing up is needed because of gaming stuff. You can´t find anything about me, i am a ghost in the web. That´s because i learned from the beginning that in the web NOTHING really can be secure. So i never ever used my real name or anything in the web.

But i am sure there are corporations and whatever circles of people that know more about me than i know. Because i had to give my real name to sign the contract with the internet provider. But i don´t wnat to expose myself, that´s why i even censor myself a bit and i lie a lot in the web. Years ago, when i idiot still used google, google thought that i am female and 15 years younger, coming from a complete other part of germany. Lying sometimes is good, especially in the web. Not in forums like here, when writing comments, but you are often asked a lot of things in the web, just to sign up to whatever. I am thinking of gaming, for example. There, for example, i lie about my gender, my age, my origin, the place where i live, etc.

I even NEVER paid with "plastic money", refused to "own" a bankster account for more than 30 years, till i was forced to have one. The day my money arrives i take it down from the account and leave only the money for the monthly transfers like rent, power and internet. Everything else is done manually. I have no "smart"-whatever. An old mobile telephon without internet, just for telephoning and sometimes writing a SMS. No smart TV, no spying gaming-cardboards like x-box or playstation.

Everything that could spy is blocked on my PC, never ever would i install Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp or whatever useless crap. I am still able to call people and talk to them, if i need to contact somebody. The woest spying stuff on my computer is steam, but let whoever know what i play, that is really nothing to hide. If i haveto pay something there, Paysafe cards, anonymous.

I even still use anonymous sim cards, even if you can´t activate them them anymore here in germany, without a passport verfication. But there are always ways. That all sounds a bit paranoid, but i almost do it just for fun. Why should i make it easy for whoever, to know everyting about me, to risk anything because i had to use the web for nearly everything, including exposing myself, voluntarily. Why should i make it easy for others to make a lot of money with my data? If somebody makes money with my data, that will be myself! I heard that the data of every german is around 2500 Euro worth. In my case, these 2500 Euro will stay with me! If there are curios secret servies or whoever, for whatever reason, creating a dossier about me, on the basis of my internet activities, they will have a dossier full of lies, useless infos etc.

And when i read things like:

Equifax breach exposes 143 million people to identity theft...

...then i know that i am not paranoid and acting like a weird conspiracy theorist, but doing the right thing to secure myself and my real data!

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
This happened pretty much immediately after Discover started offering 'Identity Protection' to all their card-holding customers. I signed up for it as soon as I got a notification and it activated at the start of this month... that was a little too convenient of a coincidence.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Sounds like a fun life bro.
Life of the party!

You must be real important to attempt to be so hidden.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
BUT FRIENDS, IT GETS BETTER!

Three Equifax Inc. senior executives sold shares worth almost $1.8 million in the days after the company discovered a security breach that may have compromised information on about 143 million U.S. consumers.

The trio had not yet been informed of the incident, the company said. The credit-reporting service said late Thursday in a statement that it discovered the intrusion on July 29. Regulatory filings show that three days later, Chief Financial Officer John Gamble sold shares worth $946,374 and Joseph Loughran, president of U.S. information solutions, exercised options to dispose of stock worth $584,099. Rodolfo Ploder, president of workforce solutions, sold $250,458 of stock on Aug. 2. None of the filings lists the transactions as being part of 10b5-1 scheduled trading plans.

The three “sold a small percentage of their Equifax shares,” Ines Gutzmer, a spokeswoman for the Atlanta-based company, said in an emailed statement. They “had no knowledge that an intrusion had occurred at the time.”

Equifax said in its statement that intruders accessed names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and driver’s-license numbers, as well as credit-card numbers for about 209,000 consumers. The incident ranks among the largest cybersecurity breaches in history.

We need harsher penalties for this nonsense...but hey, live by the kleptocracy, die by the kleptocracy.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
why are these so called credit bureaus even allowed to compile dossiers on it, with all our personal information,without our consent?

are all our financial transactions public information? if not than why are they allowed to collect it and keep it?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Basically, everyones numbers are out there at this point. What is it, half the population in this breech alone? Much higher percentage when you include only adults with credit.

There is no securing networks enough. Hackers will always find a way. There is only defense, which is smart but always will have holes.

Im sure this is legit, but I also can entertain the idea that some of these breeches are false flags. Prepping the populace for the doing away of the social security number system which is imminent is my guess. Theyve got to do something considering there wont be any social security money left soon enough.
edit on 7-9-2017 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TheOneElectric

well, actually it needs to be made a crime for anyone or any company to collect and distribute personal financial information about anyone.if it isn`t public records than no private company should be allowed to access,compile and distribute that info.

edit on 7-9-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Everything you do is now public information. Corporations are essentially public last i checked. And i do mean everything. Nwo anyone? Those damn terms of service, and its all legal. Even without them - with the lobbyists running the government and all.
edit on 7-9-2017 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

At this point I'd be very happy just to see someone go to jail for the blatant insider trading that happened after the fact. That's how little hope I have that any of this is sorted out soon.

This financial system and economic theory is broken and will grind the middle class to ashes the further we march into the 21st century. It's time to admit that the big "Cap" may not be sustainable long term. But hey, let's keep playing this game where one of the "seven deadly sins" is made virtue.

This floor is about to fall out from this world in about 10-15 years for more than ten horrifying reasons. There are no systems to replace it and that should worry everyone.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

yeah, I suppose you`re right about that, I suspect the terms of service says that they are allowed to give or sell your personal info to anyone they please, but I don`t understand why if I don`t pay a doctor bill or any other bill that Equifax and other "credit bureaus" are allowed to collect,compile and distribute that information. it`s not public information if the general public is prohibited from accessing it and only certain corporations are allowed to access, collect compile and distribute it. so I wonder why it`s legal for certain corporations (credit bureaus) to collect,compile, and distribute our personal information for a profit when it`s illegal for us common people to do the same?

actually I don`t wonder about that I know it`s because the elite are taking care of the elite at our expense.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I wonder if people with less-than-stellar credit are safer? Sort of a dumb question, cause I think I know the answer, lol. But would anyone really want to steal the identity of someone who can't pay bills on time, or has a bankruptcy or two? The Middle Class is definitely screwed. The Upper Class is too protected and well known.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

including exposing myself

That's my favorite thing about the web

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

143 million people in a "reckless endangerment" class-action suit against Equifax would shut that company down.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Lolliek

that`s why I didn`t even worry about this story because 25 years ago I decided I wasn`t going to be a slave to the credit thieves, I declared bankruptcy and haven't paid a penny in interest in 25 years.
I own a house and 3 cars free and clear no payments, no mortgage no interest payments on any of them and I did it all with no credit no loans and no interest.
if someone wants to steal my private info from a "credit bureau" ( that has no business even having my private financial info) it doesn`t bother me, because I bought and own a lot of things without the benefit of credit or "credit bureaus".

The credit folks try to scare you into thinking that you can`t accomplish nothing without them, but I stepped outside that box and bought a lot and accomplished a lot without the credit vultures and I did it all with $50,000 of unpaid medical bills hanging over my head, which I never paid any of them despite all the threatening letters and phone calls, and most of those bills have been taken off my credit reports, not that I care because I don`t use credit, and don`t want to be enslaved back into the credit corporate web.$50,000 of medical bills over 10 years and they never did figure out what was wrong so I don`t feel the least bit guilty for not paying them. if I took my car to a mechanic 3 or 4 times a year for 10 years and he never figured out what was wrong and never fixed it, I wouldn`t pay him $50,000 either.just because they are in the medical field doen`t mean I should pay them for not diagnosing or fixing the problem. only 3 professional fields get paid for not being successful in their field of endevour, doctors, lawyers and politicians. they get paid whether they win lose or draw. if every profession was that way the country would be a mess,it klind of is getting that way though isn`t it?

I know they hate me but all they can legally do is clinch their fist and and say " dammit one got away" but we have at least 100 million more we can screw.

you want to steal my credit that that the "credit bureaus" have on file? fine with me because the last time I checked it was at 350,but it didn`t stop me from buying a house and 5 cars, if you count the 2 cars a gave away to my daughter and son in law,all paid for,and I didn`t need any credit or "credit bureaus to do it.

I know I`m repeating myself but I`m really proud of the fact that I bought and paid off a house and 5 cars without the help of credit and I did it with in spite of the fact that all the credit folks were trying to ruin me.

they didn`t get # because they didn`t deserve #,i got a house and 5 cars, that`s called karma.

edit on 8-9-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join