It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My daughter says I'm racist!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: tayton

Yeah, no offense, dude, but you really do sound racist. As a "brown skinned" person, I do get tired of hearing everyone claim everything is racist. More often than not, it's not racist at all. Yet, every so often I do hear someone say something that is just flat out racist. You, sir, are one of those. Your daughter sounds like a bright lady, hopefully she's smart enough to not think like you do. Seems she's off to a good start. Try not to be a negative influence on her.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

But I didn't say "if I did business with people like me". In that post, I asked:

would you consider me racist if I only did business with "people of color"

So is that racist or not? Remember, the OP's saying that he won't do business with gas stations that are staffed by brown skinned people, and that's what I based my examples on.
edit on 7-9-2017 by enlightenedservant because: my grammar suuuuuucked

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
You're definitely NOT a racist.

Oh, wait...you're Canadian?

You're a Racist.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: jjkenobi

Will you please take your partisan BS to a thread that calls for it? Plenty of those here.

He's 100% on point. What's partisan about his statement?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Until it doesn't. Ask Europe about that one.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Seems like your daughter is on to something.

If it's any consolation you are weirdly enough, the seemingly nicest racist I've seen online? You don't seem violent or hate fueled anyways based on this thread.

My papa always told us "it's hard being brown"

Now lol, I guess it's not as hard for us -as 2 of us never look brown, and my brother and I look like the mixes of heritage that we are but.........

Give the brown guys and gals a chance eh? You go to a place enough, and you might form a new friendship. I'm friends with a lot of the gas station/ drive thru owners and employees around here and all but one of the franchises is owned and operated by people who's skin is even browner than mine. They aren't gonna bite ya man. Plus it's an excellent opportunity once you form that friendship to learn about other peoples heritage/culture/lives. I've learned a lot about these friends through my daily trips for a pack of smokes over the years.

Get outside of the "white" bubble you are accustomed to!

Just my two cents, please at least consider it

-Alee

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

Will you please take your partisan BS to a thread that calls for it? Plenty of those here.

No he's not. This thread is Canadian based. How many Democrats do you think are here? Take your hate to a US based thread.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: tayton
a reply to: eNumbra

I just want things back the way the were in my little world. Lol

Is the world getting to dark for you?

The world changes, time goes on and nothing is stagnant. I try to speak with people about issues like wage stagnation and inflation of housing prices and a common response is "move where it's cheaper", I could be a dick and tell you to move somewhere you're more comfortable, but maybe you should just suck it up and get your gas pumped by a Sikh

Way to try to force your personal views on him. How about you do you and he can do him? You wanna talk to a Sikh about wage stagnation then go right ahead. If the OP don't want to, he can keep driving to the next store. Problem solved and no ideals are forced.

Don't force your personal views about forcing personal views on me and I won't force my personal views about forcing personal views on you:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

No he's not. This thread is Canadian based. How many Democrats do you think are here? Take your hate to a US based thread.

Plenty of Democrats in Canada. They just call them by a different name.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Democrat talking heads tell me I'm racist everyday. I'm racist for being white. I'm racist because white people in the USA owned slaves hundreds of years ago. I'm racist because I didn't vote for Obama.

The list is literally a million items long.

no one thinks this or says this but pusses like you. if my husband talked like this i'd be so embarrassed.

You've gotta be kidding. For 8 solid years we've dealt with that type of crap and being called racists by the left for things unrelated. I'd be embarrassed if my wife was that clueless to the real world.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: intrepid

Great, enjoy it.

We do. It enriches our society. Multiculturalism works.

Not here.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

It's crazy that it's 2017 and we still have to make this point.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: LSU0408

But I didn't say "if I did business with people like me". In that post, I asked:

would you consider me racist if I only did business with "people of color"

So is that racist or not? Remember, the OP's saying that he won't do business with gas stations that are staffed by brown skinned people, and that's what I based my examples on.

No, I wouldn't consider you racist for that. I'm sure you knew exactly what I meant. The line, again in my personal opinion, is drawn when you go into a restaurant, for example, and refuse to have a waiter wait on you because he's white or black.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
Seems like your daughter is on to something.

If it's any consolation you are weirdly enough, the seemingly nicest racist I've seen online? You don't seem violent or hate fueled anyways based on this thread.

My papa always told us "it's hard being brown"

Now lol, I guess it's not as hard for us -as 2 of us never look brown, and my brother and I look like the mixes of heritage that we are but.........

Give the brown guys and gals a chance eh? You go to a place enough, and you might form a new friendship. I'm friends with a lot of the gas station/ drive thru owners and employees around here and all but one of the franchises is owned and operated by people who's skin is even browner than mine. They aren't gonna bite ya man. Plus it's an excellent opportunity once you form that friendship to learn about other peoples heritage/culture/lives. I've learned a lot about these friends through my daily trips for a pack of smokes over the years.

Get outside of the "white" bubble you are accustomed to!

Just my two cents, please at least consider it

-Alee

Come on, NG, there's nothing racist about him. He even said they don't understand his little quips and that's another reason he drives past.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: tayton
a reply to: eNumbra

I just want things back the way the were in my little world. Lol

When you share your world, it cannot keep just you happy.

Accept the world as it changes around you and be thankful you don't live somewhere worse.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

OK.

How racist is it to pretty much hang up the phone when someone calls you to talk about something and they have a very thick foreign accent?

I admit to doing that one more than once.

1. They're already going to talk to me about adding this or that service to my credit card or student loan or mortgage, etc. Something they're going to have to sell me on to begin with which I'm already not keen on.

2. They're calling the house line which never has a very good connection.

3. They're calling with an accent I am going to have to concentrate very, very hard to try to understand them through.

At what point, am I going to start being motivated to want to put up with this? Is that racist or just a lack of desire to overcome my annoyance at the entire sum of the situation?

Accents are far less annoying in a regular social interaction.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

If the color of skin is the deciding factor for who pumps your gas, it is racist. The next step would be to dispel your superstitions and go strike up a conversation. You'll find that jokes and smiles are universal.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

If the color of skin is the deciding factor for who pumps your gas, it is racist. The next step would be to dispel your superstitions and go strike up a conversation. You'll find that jokes and smiles are universal.

To expand on that ...

Husband is telecommuting today, and he is now working foreign reg affairs. So a large part of his job involves dealing with people in other countries via Skype and over the phone. This goes with my point above.

The best way to interact with people with accents is face to face. Sometimes, he and they have to agree to type because they cannot see each other. He sounds as incomprehensible to them as they do to him over telecommute services.

But communication around accents is not easy and almost needs that concerted effort along with the body language of facial expression and gesture in order to work out.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I couldn't care less what country this thread is based on, lol... His statement was 100% representative of America and 100% on point. Take my "hate" to a US board because I called his statement true? Wow, I never pegged you as the hypersensitive type... Maybe you can find it in yourself to keep scrolling next time you see my name, because I'm not going to keep my posts Rated G and politically correct.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

OK.

How racist is it to pretty much hang up the phone when someone calls you to talk about something and they have a very thick foreign accent?

I admit to doing that one more than once.

1. They're already going to talk to me about adding this or that service to my credit card or student loan or mortgage, etc. Something they're going to have to sell me on to begin with which I'm already not keen on.

2. They're calling the house line which never has a very good connection.

3. They're calling with an accent I am going to have to concentrate very, very hard to try to understand them through.

At what point, am I going to start being motivated to want to put up with this? Is that racist or just a lack of desire to overcome my annoyance at the entire sum of the situation?

Accents are far less annoying in a regular social interaction.

Honestly I don't think the situation you provided is inherently racist, I understand it can be so aggravating trying to communicate with someone who has a different accent than you and perhaps doesn't speak your language as well as you. I get that. But if you hung up because while you understood them enough, they sounded "brown" or they sounded like they had on "headgear" then THAT would be racist.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join