It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Sun just unleashed an X9 Class solar flare - Strongest in a decade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The flare ranks as the fourteenth-strongest since 1976. From what NASA and the NOAA scientists are saying, it's nothing to get paranoid about. This one wasn't perfectly aimed at us, and if we receive a glancing blow from the Coronal Mass Ejection, it shouldn't cause any damage. It may, however, spawn some incredible Auroral displays that could be a once or twice in a lifetime sight! I've seen the sky completely lit from horizon to horizon with incredible, multicolored Northern Lights, and I can't imagine seeing anything for the rest of my days that could compare to the beauty and majesty of it. So keep your eyes to the skies the next few nights friends!

Here's a couple links to some info, and a few satellite videos of the event.

Space weather status page

Satellite Environment Page

And the one below will be a good one to check on when the CME actually impacts our planet's magnetosphere...

Magmetosphere/Magnetic Field info
edit on 962017 by M4nWithNoN4me because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Have you heard when the auroras are going to hit from that? It's raining here presently, but by Friday it should be nice. I like sitting out by the campfire at night, but this year all the firewood needs to be kept under a roof.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
After a staff discussion, this thread has been reopened.

new topics

top topics

join