It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hysteria and Chaos grips Florida

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Having grown up there, I can say with relative ease that Floridians tend to go one of two ways with hurricanes coming their way -- extreme DGAF, or extreme OMGWTF panic. They went for the latter this time.

Who can blame them though with all the media hype on it. Even the governor of Florida is on TV ordering evacuations and calling up 7,000 National Guardsmen already

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: SaturnFX

That's just it. There may have been some overreaction, more because of the devastation from Harvey two weeks ago. The news played this one as the biggest storm ever, and the path of uncertainty had the whole state of Florida covered, so the entire state panicked and now you have a very bad situation that will only be made worse when the storm hits.

I dont know man, we had a number of hurricanes in 05 and we lost power for over 2 weeks in my neighborhood. Its good to be prepped, but would be better if there was a prep system in place to begin with instead of freaking out everytime a hurricane is heading towards us

This is gonna do some damage. a cat 5 is gonna level some areas.

yep, like Andrew in 92. Leveled Homestead.

The wife and I were on a vacation with friends in Florida in '92 and stopped for gas. For some reason I took some video, asking our friends where we were. They said, "Homestead". Two weeks later the town including that gas station was completely wiped out.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
a reply to: BlueJacket

I would be so stoked and thrilled at the idea of surviving a cataclysmic disaster with little more than a knife and a barely working flash light and no reserves to go off of.

Jesus Christ people are a spoiled bunch.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The early calls for evacuations may seems a little silly but if Irma does hit Florida and people were killed/injured at least the authorities can say 'well we did warn you'

If I lived there I'd rather have them warn me early rather than the last minute when everyone is trying to leave all at once

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

What city are you in SaturnFX, if you don't mind me asking?
Also what is happening around you, Are people freaking out or keeping their cool?
Have you stocked up on any staples?

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

I personally think a lot of the governors actions are in light of Harvey's devastation.
No one want to be the one in the spot light, in his position, if he didn't insist on every precaution.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Yep, same with Trump and everyone...nobody wants to get Goerge Bush flak like he and Fema got from Katrina

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Wow, I was just thinking of the exact same scenario.
I started a thread earlier today for people to post music and I had just now posted linking parks: little things, video.
The song was about Bushs lack of GAF during Katrina.

Then I came back here and read your comment.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
You know, it's only just now as I read your OP that I realize part of the problem:

My family live in Central Florida, in a well protected house, so we have no need to evacuate...

...and yet - I had my husband topping off the gas tanks, even though we both drive hybrids and can easily go a couple weeks on less than half a tank, because we live so close to work.

The thing is, we are getting so slammed with this 'be prepared', "get gas", etc. message that it never even occurred to me to think, "gee, maybe I should leave the gas to those who really need it" - and I'm usually a very thoughtful person when it comes to that sort of thing...

...I guess my point is that it would probably be a good idea if part of the 'official "be prepared" message' would include the idea that people who are not evacuating should really consider whether they need to get their tanks 'brim full', or if they can get by with less and leave more gas for those who 'have' to travel..

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

That's just it. There may have been some overreaction, more because of the devastation from Harvey two weeks ago. The news played this one as the biggest storm ever, and the path of uncertainty had the whole state of Florida covered, so the entire state panicked and now you have a very bad situation that will only be made worse when the storm hits.

I dont know man, we had a number of hurricanes in 05 and we lost power for over 2 weeks in my neighborhood. Its good to be prepped, but would be better if there was a prep system in place to begin with instead of freaking out everytime a hurricane is heading towards us

The wife and I were on a vacation with friends in Florida in '92 and stopped for gas. For some reason I took some video, asking our friends where we were. They said, "Homestead". Two weeks later the town including that gas station was completely wiped out.

Same with me. Two weeks before it hit, I drove through there on way back from the Keys and remembered it well. Two weeks later I saw Dan Rather standing on side of freeway which was built up high over Homestead doing his news report and the entire town behind him was leveled. Crazy.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

I personally think a lot of the governors actions are in light of Harvey's devastation.
No one want to be the one in the spot light, in his position, if he didn't insist on every precaution.

Agreed. I don't see anything wrong with his actions. This storm looks to be pretty bad and better to be prepared than caught sleeping on the job.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostgirl
You know, it's only just now as I read your OP that I realize part of the problem:

My family live in Central Florida, in a well protected house, so we have no need to evacuate...

...and yet - I had my husband topping off the gas tanks, even though we both drive hybrids and can easily go a couple weeks on less than half a tank, because we live so close to work.

The thing is, we are getting so slammed with this 'be prepared', "get gas", etc. message that it never even occurred to me to think, "gee, maybe I should leave the gas to those who really need it" - and I'm usually a very thoughtful person when it comes to that sort of thing...

...I guess my point is that it would probably be a good idea if part of the 'official "be prepared" message' would include the idea that people who are not evacuating should really consider whether they need to get their tanks 'brim full', or if they can get by with less and leave more gas for those who 'have' to travel..

Dang. Very good point. Maybe something they should consider in the future because it's definitely going to be an issue after this crisis.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime
My mother's church just tonight, gave her 4 gallons of lemonade, 2 gallons of tea, and 6 gallons of water, along with a ton of snacks and comfort foods, because they know she lives in the woods and they wanted to make sure she had something to drink and to eat if we get stuck back here. There is only one way in and one way out of these woods, and it is six miles of dirt road.

They also told us that the church belongs to the people, that it is sturdy and is available to anyone that needs a place to stay. The other campus is always used as a shelter. I know some will think that they made the offer because of the Joel Osteen fiasco, but my mother's church has been providing shelter and even homes for those church members that have fallen on hard times.

Country folk can be cantankerous, annoying, and a little put offish, but they know how to be good neighbors and how to look out for the folk in the community. They are really big on sharing.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Same with me. Two weeks before it hit, I drove through there on way back from the Keys and remembered it well. Two weeks later I saw Dan Rather standing on side of freeway which was built up high over Homestead doing his news report and the entire town behind him was leveled. Crazy.

We were headed towards the keys for a 4 day stay. Yeah I'll never forget the news footage after it hit, there was nothing left.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Look at that. No one eats their veggies. That's all that's left on the shelf.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Hurricanes in Florida are always the best times to go surfing.
The waves really are pretty decent during the big ones.
Tons of fun and no danger of flying debris while you're out on the surf.

I don't always go to Florida, but when I do - I go during hurricanes and go surfing.

edit on 7-9-2017 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Get books and candles and don't act surprised when you get to the bottom of the page and tap it. Lol.
Don't laugh....

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I'm in Okeechobee and for the most part it isn't to bad. The Walmart looked pretty much like the other pictures that have been shown, but that's expected.

I drive close to 80 miles every night on the roads here. Last night most houses were still unboarded. I'll be heading out again for the night shortly. I've been trying to keep my gas topped for the job. Don't know what kind of gas is left at this point, but will update later with what I find.

One good benefit of being a night roamer, you at least get the stores pretty much to yourself and they are restocking then.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Watching this one myself - my eldest and grandkids are down there. Gulf side, too, and not too close to water, but still. Have a feeling this is going to be bad.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 01:52 AM
link   

That's the key right there - prep ahead of time! Have some reserved canned goods, bottled water, etc, set aside, when living in such an area, so you don't have to scramble at the last minute. Even gas - keep the tank full, and some cans, just in case. They tell people this all season, and who listens?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join