It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goosebumps and Music Study, do you get emotional?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

this one does it for me even though i didn't know what she was singing for the longest. the lyrics go perfectly with the haunting melodies if you wish to look up a translation. curiosity got the best of me after awhile.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I will say that it don't matter what kind or type or emotion of music it is, the equipment is what does the trick....

Last week i was introduced too a tube and transistor hybrid hi-fi system with the album "Klaatu- Long live politzania" downscaled from a 24 bit decode/encode to analog from the CD stack to the preamp.. A MSB LINK III DAC 24 bit 192KHz digital to analog converter to be precise .. altec lansing 511 tower speakers and bi-directional wisdom planar speakers .. Yeah my hair was standing on end the whole time and it felt so overwhelming i was crying...

I believe it.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Some nice choices. I actually listened to fast car just after I made this thread, still does the same thing, remixes just don't. That may be due to my prejudice or some reasoning that you can't just remake a powerful and emotionally driven song.

Getting older might bring more sentimental feelings but it also can bring a ruggedness and bitter attitude too. I guess it really depends on the person.

Some people don't even get music at all.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I get goosebumps from all genres of music but most pieces by Mozart will stop me in my tracks and take me away from this world.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I indeed do and have.

When I was younger I was into the dance or "rave" scene, happy hardcore, UK hardcore etc. Sometimes I'd listen to the trance stuff when I was in that mood, usually under the influence but I soon found out stone cold sober worked just as good too.

In the darkness we are all the same, only our thoughts define us.

Those were the only words sung on an album I used to "transcend" with back when I was 16. I wasn't listening to the music, I felt like I was the music. Mind-opening stuff.

Remember that vampyr thread?

The videos they were making had some brilliant bits of music in them, so they were onto what this thread is prodding at. Which brings another whole aspect of what music is capable of, brainwashing.

a reply to: 4003fireglo

I've been told that the feelings wear away after time, which mustn't be true because as you say, sometimes a song can play 1000's of times and evoke the original response.

This one does it for me, gets me right in that transcendent mode antediluvian.

edit on 6-9-2017 by RAY1990 because: Fixed link

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Many genres of music have given me goosebumps while listening.

Loreena McKinnett is one artist who's music has that special quality for me

This next song not only gives me goosebumps but often brings tears to me eyes. A song I want played at my funeral .

And last but not least, another song I want played at my funeral because it is my theme song for my life, and it's old like me and still gives me goosebumps😏

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Some nice choices. I actually listened to fast car just after I made this thread, still does the same thing, remixes just don't. That may be due to my prejudice or some reasoning that you can't just remake a powerful and emotionally driven song.

Well the song is sung in the first person and Tracy Chapman's voice has a lot of soul and grit. Even if none the song bears any resemblance to her actual life, it's a perfect song for her.

My younger brother gets super emotional. It's kinda funny because he's a basically a giant (like 6'7") and he's all tatted up and scarred up but Tiny Dancer will instantly reduce him to tears. (it gets me too sometimes)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I chose it simply because it moved me deeply without any knowledge of what it's about. But music is a universal language.

I absolutely loved that first one, definitely depressive but in a solemn fortitude kind of way. Steadfast.
I guess in an abstract way as you describe it, it's like a Twista song called "kill em all", a song which really made me think as a youth about a lot of things.

Sometimes music enforces a frame of mind or makes lines of thought possible. In a way a song can bring much more wisdom than a book. Be more eye opening than a revelation.

Haha. The second one was definitely cheesy and naturally I shy away from such songs... But I do have a soft spot for such songs. Wonderful world might be a choice for a lot of people and maybe rightly so, I love that song. It it helps me realise I love this world. Despite it's destructive nature, this world is truly beautiful.

Figured you might like these.

The full album is pretty awesome, I haven't found the time to listen to more yet though.
edit on 6-9-2017 by RAY1990 because: More to add

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Hadn't heard that before-love, love his voice-so emotional-does really hit the spot in my heart with everything he sings-he's magical.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
So many great replies so far and great music!

Here's a few more from me:

I'll be back later today
loving the music this for

One more.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: homerJ

I respond to classical much more emotionally but especially, Johann Pachelbel's "Canon." But there are so many, many others-it is my peace and tranquality as well as all emotions at one time-hard to explain in words.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is beautiful ... and anything by Johnny Cash is good.

Somebody in the country western genre who's voice at times gave me goosebumps... Hoyt Axton

edit on 6-9-2017 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-9-2017 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I prefer music that helps me concentrate and energize me while I work/code.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Yeah, totally get the experience - one of the few things that makes this world worthwhile.

Wish I'd gotten to see these guys live, I'm against religion, but I can respect the intensity of these guys and they all give me the shivers:

Seen these guys live 3 times now, always very intense - was lucky enough to see the tour with Jarboe (Swans) and that was awesome. Should satisfy those of you with tribal "cravings".

These guys I missed live but a friend went, said there were people crying at the beauty of it. Crary mormons

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   
2 more

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

I indeed do and have.

When I was younger I was into the dance or "rave" scene, happy hardcore, UK hardcore etc. Sometimes I'd listen to the trance stuff when I was in that mood, usually under the influence but I soon found out stone cold sober worked just as good too.

In the darkness we are all the same, only our thoughts define us.

Those were the only words sung on an album I used to "transcend" with back when I was 16. I wasn't listening to the music, I felt like I was the music. Mind-opening stuff.

Remember that vampyr thread?

The videos they were making had some brilliant bits of music in them, so they were onto what this thread is prodding at. Which brings another whole aspect of what music is capable of, brainwashing.

a reply to: 4003fireglo

I've been told that the feelings wear away after time, which mustn't be true because as you say, sometimes a song can play 1000's of times and evoke the original response.

This one does it for me, gets me right in that transcendent mode antediluvian.

We would get on!

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Whenever I hear this song, I think about the loss of a friend who past away. Not just one friend, but several friends over the years...

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Some interesting music choices so far. A lot I haven't heard of, and some of it I really like!

I'd agree that a lot of the time, the reason for the emotions being stirred by a particular piece of music is usually of a sentimental nature, but below are a few songs that gave me goosebumps the first time I heard them.

Most are relatively slow to get going, but goosebumps every time!

ETA: Thought I'd add these 2 as well.

Steve Reich (minimalist composer) - Music for 18 Musicians

This last 1 is a modern interpretation of the previous piece, by Coldcut (creators of the NinjaTune Label).

edit on 6-9-2017 by AbdulAlhazred because: added another couple vids.

edit on 6-9-2017 by AbdulAlhazred because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Here's another aspect to emotions and music, but not from listening - from playing. I play a Flamenco/Classical/Folk Guitar in Fern Bars around here. Most of the time I see people drinking and getting louder, but, every now and then you get the right crowd and you connect. Every musician feels it. You hook up with the whole audience. You can feel them feel your music the way you feel it - which - is why you made the song in the first place. That strange feedback is pure human brain communication and I love it.

It's like playing in the 'zone'.

Magical - for me all the hairs stand...I get rolling shivers that pulse up and over my head - I almost feel like I am going to burn up into a little cinder.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

edit on 6-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join