It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio news photographer reportedly shot by deputy while setting up to take pictures of traffic stop

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Ohio news photographer reportedly shot by deputy while setting up to take pictures of traffic stop

A small Ohio news organization said one of its photographers was shot by a sheriff's deputy Monday night while he set up to take pictures of a random traffic stop.

Andy Grimm "had his camera in his hand" when he was shot in his side by a Clark County sheriff's deputy in New Carlisle, which north of Dayton, The New Carlisle News said in a Facebook post.

He was rushed to Miami Valley Hospital for surgery and is expected to recover.

This story really teaches that it's dangerous to be anywhere near law enforcement.

I get it that they are spooked by the rash of cop assassinations, but on the other hand, you'd think they'd be better at discerning actual threats.

What a mess we have created for ourselves.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Paranoid is what cops are trained to be these days.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Reporters may need to start bringing docile dogs along with them to draw the police officer's fire, giving them more of a chance to get away.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   
From your link:

The newspaper speculated that the deputy may have mistaken the camera for a weapon. Grimm said the deputy, identified in reports as Jake Shaw, gave him no warning.

So a news camera and tripod looked like a weapon?

What kind of weapon did it look like to the deputy, I wonder?
A tow missile?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The USA is not the proverbial "land of opportunity" for nothing.

Even if this opportunity is to kill the freedom of the press, the freedom of free speech etc...

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

“I just talked to Andy and he said that he is very sore, but in good spirits,” Dale Grimm, the photographer's father and publisher of the New Carlisle News, told Fox News. “He said the hospital expects to be releasing him Tuesday. He also stressed that he does not want the deputy to lose his job over this.” The Dayton Daily News reports the case has been turned over to the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation. “This is a small town. Everybody knows everybody. It was just a terrible misunderstanding,” his father said.

I can understand the friend mentality, but this guy really doesn't need to be a cop with a gun. Perhaps he could have the sheriff hold his bullets and maybe let him keep one in his left shirt pocket.

Glad the reporter doesn't have life threatening injuries and everyone can walk away from this.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
CARUMBA....big lawsuit and the cop goes off to seek other career choices like on the back bumper of a municiple truck that makes the rounds to everybodys curb....

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

If you cannot carry a firearm without fearing for your life, then you should not be a police officer. What happened to other officers should only alter your training, not your level of cowardice.

As for shooting a member of the press, no doubt Trump will give him a medal, but the judiciary should tear this officer a new ringpiece if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Meanwhile Black Lives Matter ignores this because it doesn't fit their narrative of Blacks are the only ones targeted by the police.

edit on 9/5/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
www.nydailynews.com...

Without warning, the deputy opened fire as Grimm was setting up the tripod. The photographer said he and the deputy knew each other.

“I turned around from the Jeep and it seemed like instant, I heard pop-pop,” Grimm told the Daily News from his hospital bed.

One bullet struck him in the chest and Grimm said another may have grazed his shoulder.

The officer that wounded the cameraman rushed over to help, repeatedly saying, “I thought it was a gun,” Grimm said.

“Now that I’m OK, I’m not so much mad, but when I was on the ground and in the back of the ambulance, I was kind of angry at him,” Grimm said.

“He said there was no warning, no ‘show me hands’ or ‘drop what you have,'” the paper owner said, while changing Tuesday’s front page to reflect his son’s shooting around 3 a.m.

"Andy does not want him to get fired," Grimm said, calling the shooting a misunderstanding.

Awww, looks like these two knew each other!

So it sounds like a happy ending afterall !

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
So, the linked story (which is scant on details, to be nice), says that there's "some confusion" concerning the incident, yet everybody on here finds it appropriate to already jump to conclusions about LEO incompetency?

Don't misunderstand me--if this was a paranoid cop with exceptionally poor trigger discipline, he probably doesn't need to be entrusted to protect the public while armed. But we don't know any pertinent details, so can we at least be intelligent enough to wait for more information?

I know that some of you despise LEOs at an unhealthy level, but damn...is it too much to ask to wait for an appropriate amount of details and info before, say, going on a rant about the "land of the free" or trained paranoia.

According to HuffPo, the Ohio Bureau of Investigation is currently investigating. Hell, even in this NY Daily News story, Mr. Grimm (the victim) has a wait-and-see approach:

“Until I hear his side, I guess I won’t know what I did wrong,” Grimm said.

Obviously he did nothing wrong, but at least he has the desire to hear the "other side" of the incident. Again, maybe wait for the OBI investigation, or a statement from the officer?

Just me thinking out loud, I suppose.

+15 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

What does it feel like to carry so much hate for one person, that it insinuates itself into every thought and comment? What the hell does Trump have to do with a cop in Ohio?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Nothing, as you well know. The hysteria is unbridled now.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I could be wrong, but details suggest this story isn't as stupidly simple as it sounds.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

He's mad because Trump has better hair.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
I could be wrong, but details suggest this story isn't as stupidly simple as it sounds.

What details?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

If you cannot carry a firearm without fearing for your life, then you should not be a police officer. What happened to other officers should only alter your training, not your level of cowardice.

As for shooting a member of the press, no doubt Trump will give him a medal, but the judiciary should tear this officer a new ringpiece if you ask me.

I am not sure that anyone asked you...but you are entitled to your opinion.

By your logic, African Americans who get nervous when they are stopped by the police are displaying cowardice, because instances of profiling or use of excessive force have only happened to other African Americans...not to them personally.

Women who feel fear when a man seems to be following them as they stroll through a park late a night are cowards too because they...to that point in time...have not been personally sexually assaulted.

Perhaps we should wait until the full story of this encounter comes out. Nah, let's just go right ahead and demonize the officer - and Trump while we are at it!

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Meanwhile Black Lives Matter ignores this because it doesn't fit their narrative of Blacks are the only ones targeted by the police.

I'm not sure you're understanding what "targeted" means in this context.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
In Ohio, but still in Miami County.

Its good to see Miami Man still at it

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: The GUT

What details?

Lack of, conflicting, and gaps between.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join