It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are The Mysterious Jelly Balls?

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Mysterious jelly balls have been found by divers. One was found by a diver 150 meters from the norwegian shoreline and 17 meters below the surface. Seven jelly balls have been observed along the coast of Norway this summer. Scientists don't know what they are, and are asking for a DNA sample. There are speculations that they might be eggs from a giant squid. These speculations are supported by scientists. Have you seen these before? Any ideas on what they might be? Could they come from a new species?

Nå ber forskerne om hjelp til å finne svar på «geléball»-mysteriet (in norwegian)

Google translated:

It's like a big balloon with thick walls, completely soft and jelly-like. Of course, the animal that comes from is only speculation, but I guess it may be eggs from a giant octopus.

Photo: Ronni Bekkemellem

The researchers support the diver's suspicion that the jelly ball may originate from octopus, but in order to get to the bottom of the mystery, they are now asking for help from the audience.

"We are a whole bunch of people who have a lot of knowledge. The problem is that neither of us have seen this jelly ball.

This summer, seven cases of jellyball have been observed along the coast of Norway, from Stavanger to Trondheim.

Photo: Erling Svensen

Possibly related ATS thread:
Jupiter 6 Mysteriously Vanishes With Crew While Towing Ship

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'm not a scientist or anything.....

But I'm gonna take a stab at this.

It's Gojira eggs.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Hellmutt

Perhaps it's the Giant Squid version of a kidney stone? Unprocessed biologic material that they excreted? I'm sure they could test for this but perhaps they are unfertilized eggs, or mucus sacs of some sort?

Fascinating find - I hope to follow this story to find out more. S & F OP

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I can't recall ever hearing about it, and I doubt they're underwater spy orbs. Jokes aside, they appear to be some kind of jelly type fish to me. Maybe a rare species we haven't heard of.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

this is the guy to call
:-)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Here's an English source. The article mentions similar "blobs" found in the waters near Alaska and Turkey as well. Here's a video of one found near Turkey:

More about that one here at Deep Sea News:

The divers didn’t know. Lutfu Tanriover, the videographer, told me via Facebook the group felt a mixture of both excitement and fear as they approached the mysterious blob. The blow felt “very soft,” and looked gelatinous. But only after the video went online did the mysterious blob get a possible ID. Dr. Michael Vecchione of the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History was the first to propose a suggestion. Dr. Vecchione is an expert on squid, and to him this giant sphere looks like a huge squid egg mass, and it’s the largest he’s ever seen. In fact, egg masses like this may be floating off many major coasts, not just Turkey’s. But what kind of squid, specifically, could produce a mass this big?

Dr. Vecchione best guess? A large red flying squid named Ommastrephes bartramii. These animal can grow to around 1.5 meters (~5 feet) in length. As their name suggests, red flying squid can fly, or rather glide, by jetting out of the water and flattening their tentacles and fins to make “wings”. They’ve also got arms packed with suckers complete with “teeth”.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Dr. Vecchione is an expert on squid, and to him this giant sphere looks like a huge squid egg mass, and it’s the largest he’s ever seen.

Wow! Thank you! Yeah, they do look similar. I once catched a squid on the norwegian coast using a fishing rod. It felt like catching a submarine. It was strong as hell. And it was a small one (about 50 cm / 20 inches).

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The page I linked to in the OP is now 404, for some reason. Here's another link (in norwegian). It has a video as well.

Egersund-dy kker er trolig den eneste i Norge som har observert dette fenomenet to ganger

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

No idea, maybe alien egg's laid by a race of giant alien humanoid's that live in our oceans' having decided to colonize our planet and are preparing to exterminate us.
Actually I do not actually believe in Ningen as they are called but hey anything is possible, now I know why my cod is missing those alien git's are eating it all.
mysteriesunsolvedstory.blogspot.co.uk...

Seriously I don't believe in them but great fun,

These Egg's if that is what they are must have been lain by something rather large though so very interesting, at first when I read the thread title I was a little bit tired and am actually on the verge of nodding off as I type this, still it is humorous to note also that I read wrongly Jellied ball's through half open eye's and winced in sympathy at the thought of it.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I bet it turns out to be an excretion of mucousal matter from some newly evolved worm or something. They are completely translucent. if they were eggs wouldn't we see the inside critter?? Im betting on an excretion of some kind. if not from worms, then possibly coral, tunicates or gorgonians.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Possibly related ATS thread: Jupiter 6 Mysteriously Vanishes With Crew While Towing Ship

possibly? i cant even see an tenuous link

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: humanoidlord

Giant squid, mentioned here and in the OP. Yeah, I know it's not likely, but a theory nontheless, since nothing else has been proven. Personally, I believe Jupiter 6 was sunk by a freak wave. However, the ship that she was towing showed no damage from a huge wave. Maybe a wave was to blame anyway? Whatever happened, it happened so fast that they didn't have time to send any distress signal.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Eggs from a giant something?

Pretty cool stuff.

Wasn't David Bowman on the Jupiter 6 or was that Will Robinson?

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Btw, here's another thread about a ship that may have been a victim of a giant squid attack. Someone on the ship fired an emergency flare (several witnesses) and the ship was reportedly seen "being pushed sideways" before she disappeared without a trace. Maybe she was a victim of a submarine? Giant squids apparently exists. The question is how big they could be, and whether they might be a threat to ships. Many sailors have told stories about giant squids throughout history. Did they exaggerate, hallucinate or make things up? I guess we'll need to get photos or videos of these creatures.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Squid sacs, pretty neat. Octo eggs are pretty cool nonetheless. Octopus garden.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Gelatinous Sphere
CR: 7
HD: 3d12
HP: 35
AC: 4
XP: 100

Attacks
Pseudopod: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (3d6) acid damage.

Engulf: Whenever the cube enters a creature's space, the creature must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw.

On a failed save, the cube enters the creature's space, and the creature takes 10 (3d6) acid damage and is engulfed. The engulfed creature can't breathe, is Restrained, and takes 21 (6d6) acid damage at the start of each of the sphere's turns.
An engulfed creature can try to escape by taking an action to make a DC 12 Strength check. On a success, the creature escapes and enters a space of its choice within 5 feet of the sphere.
edit on 952017 by Butterfinger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I don't have an idea what it is (octopus egg sounds interesting) but I know what it reminds me of:

top topics

join