It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just finished a very good book...thought I'd share.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I just finished reading The Oregon Trail - A New American Journey by Rinker Buck (2015).

It is a (non-fiction) History book about the 2011 journey of two brothers as they retrace the epic Oregon Trail migration in the American West during the 1850's.

One of the interesting things about the book is, unlike many who travel the Oregon Trail, these two did it by traditional wagon, pulled by mules...and most importantly, they did it from start to finish in one essentially unaided effort (many take years to do it in sections, and even then by truck or 4x4).

It is very well researched and full of facts which, even as a quasi-old west and Oregon Trail history buff who grew up in Wyoming, I did not know. The body of the book is equally about their experiences and tribulations along the trail interspersed with the colorful history of those who did it in the 1850's. The historical parts pace their own progress along the Trail which makes it very a very interesting read. It spent many weeks at #1 on the NYT Bestseller list.

There were a couple political bents in the book I didn't particularly agree with, but overall it is an excellent book and well worth the read at just shy of 450 pages.

Should you take occasion to read the book I believe you will enjoy it.

Note: I have no affiliation with the author or any of the persons characterized in the book.

edit on 9/4/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Thanks. Always on the look out for a good book.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Hope that didn't happen to them

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: norhoc

No, but it happened to many! The Oregon Trail was littered with dead animals, festering in drinking water. It was far from the romantic dream most imagine.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I know, that is from an old computer game old guys like me played in elementary school

top topics

join