It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Zombie dogs' roaming near Chicago are infected coyotes, police warn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Poor guys.
Just a heads up for any pet owners in Chicago.

(Foxnews.com)-Hanover Park Police Department posted the warning on its Facebook page on Wednesday, saying the coyotes, usually nocturnal animals, are infected with sarcoptic mange that causes them to be active in the day.

“Infected animals will often appear ‘mangy’ -- which looks just like it sounds. They suffer hair loss and develop secondary infections, eventually looking like some sort of ‘zombie’ dog,” the department said.

www.foxnews.com...

Also here
www.facebook.com...

edit on Sun Sep 3 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
These "things" have been seen often in the City as well !!

Crazy looking monstrosities !!

edit on Sep-03-2017 by xuenchen because: wild

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Oh man... We need ninja cats now !

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Oh no poor sick little bastards. What happens to them? Are they getting shot? Will this be the end of huge parts of the coyote population?

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Ninja cats - I love it!!

I have a 2 year old Siamese mix that will take on all comers...you should see the wounds she inflicts on Mom & Dad.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Oh no poor sick little bastards. What happens to them? Are they getting shot? Will this be the end of huge parts of the coyote population?

The coyote population is just fine and has expanded into suburbia and even urban areas throughout the country.

www.nature.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

The coyote population is just fine and has expanded into suburbia and even urban areas throughout the country.

www.nature.com...

Correct.
When I was a kid, it was statewide news when a trapper got a coyote in Pennsylvania.
They are now found in all 67 counties in the state.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Chicago can't catch a break.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple
The kindest thing the Dept. of Natural Resources could do would be to trap them and put them down. The cure for mange is expensive and long-term antibiotics. In order to avoid having pets infected they need to be setting traps for them in the areas they've been spotted.

There is no danger to the coyote population from a few mangy ones being put down. It is the kindest thing to do for a wild animal.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Are you kidding? The coyotes are in no danger of ending parts of their population.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Georgia Coyote Challenge

In order to encourage the taking of coyotes from March to August, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Resources Division is introducing the Georgia Coyote Challenge.

Each coyote killed, up to five (5) a month per hunter/trapper, will earn an entry into a monthly drawing for a lifetime license (or equal credit for purchase of hunting/fishing licenses)*.

Currently, scientific research suggests that removal of coyotes during the spring and summer is the most advantageous time to reduce the impact of predation on native wildlife. We want to encourage coyote removal efforts during this critical period.

The coyote (Canis latrans) is a non-native predator that can be found in every county in Georgia and has the unique ability to live in a variety of habitats. Trapping and/or hunting are legal and recommended methods for managing coyotes. Because they did not historically live in Georgia, there is no closed season for their harvest.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
They look like coyotes to me. The ones around here seem healthier though. Mange sucks, I have seen a few animals with it many years ago, they hardly had any energy. I do not know much about that disease as all.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Honestly that's what I am hoping for. Does it spread from cadavers too? They have to get contained with as little suffering as possible. I think.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I like the Roadrunner, but I can't stand the Coyote.

Coyotes are a problem where ever they go. The whole pack can stand to use a lot of thinning every where we find them. Let's make Coyote fur a fashion statement so we can earn some money and get them under control.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Let's make Coyote fur a fashion statement so we can earn some money and get them under control.

I am pretty sure PETA hates both of us anyway, so what is there to lose?

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Hell I see them rather frequently here in our neighborhood 15 miles north of Atlanta, lol and yes people are told keep your little dogs and cats inside. Animal Control will come out and trap them but it seems like there is another bunch to take their place. Gets worse in the rural areas they raid chicken farms especially the free range chicken farms and are a general nuisance. Most deer hunting leases still have loads of deer throughout Georgia, but loads of coyotes too. Both deer and coyote populations have exploded in Georgia.

top topics

join