It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying an electric guitar..any suggestions?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
a reply to: skunkape23

I... would like to play that! She's a beauty.
They are a very good company. Their prices are very fair considering the quality. Customer service goes above the call of duty.
Check out their web site.
Just google Reverend guitars.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I really liked my Paul Reed Smith, gotta have 24 frets.
I'm a sucker for a neck-thru body.
I will say plenty of my friends play Strats & Teles and they can always get replacement or enhancement parts easily.

ganjoa

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I had to leave my electric behind when I took a temp job overseas.

I mainly use a stratocaster because of it's versatility. Fender makes a wide range of stratocaster-style guitars. You can always change out the pick ups (those bars under the strings) to get different sound.

Also, you can use effects pedals and other things to change the sound too. Strats are known to be easy-playing and versatile.

I know a few other companies make stratocaster-inspired models, but you might as well go with a Fender since they make budget versions up to expensive ones.

I miss my guitar, I just didn't want to have to haul it to Europe and back and risk it getting damaged.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden
If you really want to improve your sound, invest in a nice tube amp and a good pedal rig with lots of pedals.

Jaden
I used to have a very complicated pedal board.
These days I just use a wah, a Big Muff, and a delay.
My Carvin X-100b has a reverb.
I like to get into playing more than dancing over a complex rig.
To each their own. Have fun.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara
For 2k, you could get a prime, used USA Jackson soloist, sl-1 or sl-2. Or, a nice USA Charvel.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: darkwingduck

I dated charvel's daughter in high school and used to go to his shop in Yucaipa all the time. Charvel's are great guitars.

Jaden

He had a 55 Buick coupe he was selling for 2500 that I kept toying with buying off of him but my dad kept talking me out of. Lol
edit on 3-9-2017 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I use a b52 half stack with a digitech 2120 but my s470, digitech and my recording studio may be going up in flames right now with the fires at my ranch in Redlands while I'm working in Texas.

If it does I'll be buying some new equipment with insurance money. Although it sucks since I've had the s470 and the digitech 2120 for going on 20 years.

Jaden
edit on 3-9-2017 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I have a couple of Fender Custom Shop Strats/Tele's one being a Masterbuilt that's amazing, but if I were to get another guitar, PRS is at the top of the list, they have some of the best playing necks I've ever played. The stock wammy's on a Strat can be more than a challenge to keep in tune, so if you plan on using it much I wouldn't recommend that route. I loved my Les Pauls but have sold them off mainly because of the weight and a bad back. Which brings me back to the PRS if I were to purchase another axe. I would go play a bunch of different guitars and go with what feels right to you. If you play enough of them you'll start to get an idea of what you like and don't like.

What style music do you play? That's a major factor in buying a guitar.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: zatara
. A better instrument will also help with improving my skills on the guitar. Being able to play faster, improve technique..and so on.

The are some things I want this guitar to have.. I need my guitar to have a tremelo, a rosewood fingerboard, 6 strings, a stratocaster body shape, 22 or 24 frets and if possible stable in value. I prefer new but second hand will also be an option.

Any suggestions ...and why?

I don't think anyone can tell you which guitar to buy, it's all about what feels good in your hands, how it sounds to your ears. If your looking for a strat style then stick with a American Fender stratocaster, you can't go wrong on those.

If your looking at 24 frets for shredding I would buy something like a Schecter. I have the C-1 Platinum FR S and its strat shaped. The neck is a thin C shape Rosewood fingerboard, 24 X-Jumbo frets, EMG pickups. The EMG Sustainiac is a beast, you can hold a note forever.... It's just insane.

www.schecterguitars.com...#
edit on 06090630am302017Tue, 05 Sep 2017 01:06:19 -0500 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkwingduck
For 2k, you could get a prime, used USA Jackson soloist, sl-1 or sl-2. Or, a nice USA Charvel.

What make them a better choice than the fender or Ibanez..you think...or know?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkwingduck

What make them a better choice than the fender or Ibanez..you think...or know?

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder
I have a couple of Fender Custom Shop Strats/Tele's one being a Masterbuilt that's amazing, but if I were to get another guitar, PRS is at the top of the list, they have some of the best playing necks I've ever played. The stock wammy's on a Strat can be more than a challenge to keep in tune, so if you plan on using it much I wouldn't recommend that route. I loved my Les Pauls but have sold them off mainly because of the weight and a bad back. Which brings me back to the PRS if I were to purchase another axe. I would go play a bunch of different guitars and go with what feels right to you. If you play enough of them you'll start to get an idea of what you like and don't like.

What style music do you play? That's a major factor in buying a guitar.

Master built fender..yeah..but no.. above my pay-grade. Never played one before tho. Can you describe the difference between a 1500-2000 and a 3000-up strat? Same model, same woods. That is another thing... when I do some seaching on the internet I come across guitars same model, same wood..but still the other is 1000 dollars or more expensive.

Today I did some Ernie Ball Music Man web-surfing. I fancy the John Petrucci models but then again these guitars are f&8kngh expensive. Just looking at them necks and built you know that those guitars play heavenly. Then I found an affordable JP Ernie Ball secondhand on ebay...but while watching it being in the shopping cart I noticed the import taxes. It felt as if I was about to be legally robbed. I had to pay some 450 dollars extra.. Why do they take away the fun from the poor...? Was their mantra not..give the people bread, games...and guitars?

I think buying from outside the european Union is not helping. To my surprise there are close to none JP Ernie Ball within the EU ebay for sale. A PRS did also crossed my mind..the neck is a bit wide but quality guitars for sure. If so it will be a secondhand made in the USA model...not the student edition model (SE).

Some days ago I looked at Jackson and Charvel. I have never played a Jackson or a Charvel. The Soloist models look good and they give the impression that it will be money well spent. Anybody experience with Jackson or Charvel?

edit on 16/9/2017 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Ultimately it's not about the instrument; it's about your technique, and the passion you bring to the music.

Personally I would rather hear a kid with a cheap Korean 6stg. playing and singing from his soul and heart than a person shredding repetitious wank fest on an overpriced big brand artist model.

What do I know...I'm a bass player....

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Ultimately it's not about the instrument; it's about your technique, and the passion you bring to the music.

Personally I would rather hear a kid with a cheap Korean 6stg. playing and singing from his soul and heart than a person shredding repetitious wank fest on an overpriced big brand artist model.

What do I know...I'm a bass player....

See, I like that response.

Music comes within. It's an expression of yourself that few truly understand.

I see a lot of people who want to, and do, strive to play other artists' songs', and I get it's sometimes a technique issue.

When I started playing guitar I learned the basics by playing # i kinda knew. But once I learned that the basics, I started writing my own, when others were still playing what's popular and cover there favorites.

I hate playing other people's #. I have to express myself.
edit on 16-9-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Yes..took a good look at those guitars. All over good reviews..The only thing is that their design does not really do something for me.. and it is still a lot of money for me. If I had plenty to spent a reverend guitar would surely be in my collection.

When my next paycheck is on my account the moment will be there for me to do some guitar shopping. The candidates are a Fender EVH Wolfgang Special, a Fender Stratocaster Standard, a PRS SE Exotic Floyd or a secondhand Ernie Ball JP6.

The one highest on my list is the 2017 PRS. Woow..that guitar just looks fabulous and I can not go wrong with quality and playability. With case..have to buy that seperately...it will set me back some 1200 euro.

Anybody else a last input,,suggestion...tip..?

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Anybody else a last input,,suggestion...tip..?

Lol, I dunno. As i said on page one, I have a MIM Strat and I love it.

But, for me, guitars are like hats, jackets, or shoes: gotta keep adding to the collection.

I'm actually looking at buying an Epiphone SG G-400 pretty soon....

I guess, in conclusion it boils down to whether you want single coil or humbucker. Woods make a difference, and the build quality of particular companies and the quality of the hardware used, but the picks-ups are one of the most significant factors. You can put a high quality pickup in a POS guitar and it will sound great. Put a POS pickup in an expensive guitar, and it will SLS.

Go figure.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Yes, I am aware of what difference a good pickup can make. I owned a rather cheap Ibanez.. a roadstar II and upgraded it with a dimarzio X2N.. That was a game changer.. What more important for me now is the playabillity. How does the neck feel...do I have to work for it or will it help me improve speed because it is a fast ergonomic neck. Construction and it would be nice if the guitar will hold its value. A Fender MiM will not be more valuable over time than an american made...I think.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Finally bought what felt good...in the gut...to buy. I say "in the gut" because I bought it without being able to play it before buying the guitar. Because of the Music Man reputation and after reading some reviews I decided to buy the Sterling JP100 KOA.

Although I will always look at it as the poormans Music Man and know it has a more expensive twin brother I am very happy with how it plays and feels.

To be honest I never played such a wonderfull "fast" neck. Without being plugged-in it sounds acoustic also very nice...which is always a good sign. It is loaded with two Dimarzio's ..which are the same as the more expensive version. The Koa finish is beautiful and think that this guitar is worth its price.

Next guitar will be a hardtail...probably a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Thanks for your input guys..

PS

For your information..and others.. Buying a guitar in The Netherlands is a very expensive undertaking. The taxes are insanely high.. 21% on top of what you guys pay in the US. And if that is not enough there are some import taxes on top of that. I did a quick search...

If I would buy this guitar in the US...at a Sam Ash, I'd pay...870 dollars..which is some 750 euro's. I paid 1200 euro...which is some 1400 dollar. I had a 200 euro discount. Without it I had to pay 1630 dollar!!! That is almost 1000 dollars on top of what you guys pay.. That is not funny anymore.

edit on 1/11/2017 by zatara because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join