It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to hook up an electric dryer?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: OveRcuRrEnteD

You have 3 supply lines of power in that pic, in north america that's called 3 phase power.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

LOL. Yes, White is Common/Neutral, black is 120v and red is 120v at 180 degree out of phase hence 220v from peak to peak of the wave. Green is ground to earth.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
no, its not. there are only two lines of power, 120 volts each on the red and black to make 240 volts. the white does not carry load. it is single phase split into two "legs" from the transformer to the main panel in residential wiring. three phase is a whole 'nother animal.

edit on 9/3/2017 by OveRcuRrEnteD because: more info

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

3 phase is only in large commercial applications in North America. It is required for large AC units, compressors and such. Very expensive. We have a school deciding to use multiple AC units @ 220v to cool our gym or go 3 phase with a single large unit. I think we were quoted around $1100 a month just to have access to 3 phase before accounting to consumption.
edit on 3-9-2017 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
You guys are correct, I do AC work so when I see 3 legs to a contactor/terminal board I assume 3 phase.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
all good bro. typically, in three phase wiring, the third phase will be yellow or brown. almost never white.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
To the OP. If you are not sure then get a qualified electrician to have a look.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

The white jumper to the green ground screw needs to be removed. Also, the strain relief clamp that shields the cord from being cut going through the hole should be installed as well. the cord can be cut into from the sharp edges of the hole over time if it is not installed.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

No, thats not 3 phase dude.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Wrong! The white goes to the center lug and the green is connected to the green ground screw. I just wired a new 4 wire on my drier and there is actually a green ground screw located just below the 3 main and common lugs.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: OveRcuRrEnteD
in a four wire 220 volt application, the white wire is a return path for current and balances potential between loads. it is called a neutral here in north america. the green wire is ground and provides a low resistance path to earth. both are bonded at the main panel

You are correct in that they are both bonded to the same ground but in a mobile home 4 wire service the 2 are not bonded until until they are connected to the same connector bar at the service or breaker panel just under the meter on the service pole.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT
yep. that would be the main panel. the panel inside the mobile home is a sub-panel and the neutral and ground are not bonded. if a house has one or more sub-panel the same applies.

edit on 9/3/2017 by OveRcuRrEnteD because: more

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Here in the US at least wire color should always be the same.

The most basic and simple setup you can have:
White is Neutral
Black is Hot

Additional Wires:
Red is Hot
Green is Ground

Unless otherwise labeled by someone who spliced something strange those colors shouldn't ever change. To be safe always shut off power to the place you're working first. Once the wiring is complete, flip on the breaker. If you did it wrong it will snap the breaker again. It's always a good idea to have a quick electrical tester in hand to check for hot wires before you go touching stuff.

110 isn't that big a deal for most people. It will give you a little buzz that doesn't feel too good. 220 can be a bit more dangerous. But just be careful and turn off breaker first to avoid knowing the difference.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This is a fun thread for me to read...

'Bout a decade ago, I delivered and installed dryers (appliances) for maybe a couple years, and then was "in" generators in the army for a few more...

Some good info here, and some nice refreshers for me.

Thx. (Thumbs up)

edit on 9/3/2017 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Awwwww... Too late! I was already corrected almost immediately by another poster...

I'm sure it was lots of fun and all to call me out for my mistake -- Woo hoo!!! -- but seriously, I'm not the one trying to install a dryer. It would have been far more helpful to let the OP know -- he's the one who needs that information.

But hey -- good job making sure I knew I got it wrong

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Just hook up the three. You don't necessarily need to have a ground wire connected unless you have a 4 prong plug. Then you do.

For a maytag but it's the same pretty much across the board.

edit on 3-9-2017 by PlasticWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
i got it
thanks everyone

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The thing is to check your fusebox and see if theres any 3phase breakers (easy to spot as they take up 3 spots with one switch)

You can convert a single phase into a 3 phase supply but its not really recommended except for low load stuff that expects 3 phase supplies.

Some countries do supply 3ph domestically, was looking to move to Cyprus and a lot of their stuff is 3ph to the board but only 60a per Ph but getting certified to be able to do any work would really require me to learn Greek as the exams are all in Greek
not that I'd bother to wake up someone just to run a few sockets.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Let us know the results when you're done.

Also, so we know you're still alive.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Let us know the results when you're done.

Also, so we know you're still alive.

cool.
ill let you know a half hour ago

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join