It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was I stupid to do it?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

Shame me for what???

I did absolutely NOTHING set up the situation, nor did I say ANYTHING deceptive or dishonest.

ANY legal definition of theft requires ATLEAST one of those things to be true and I know that because I looked it all up when researching any liability I might have..

All I did was to not point out the mistake as he walked out the door.

Morally a hair shady??

Sure..

Theft however isn't anywhere near appropriate.

As I said, theft requires you to have taken some action to instigate the event. I took no action and had no intention of doing so.

PS.. I should have kept reading before posting lol.

And to add to your point, I think the same way concerning welfare queens.. people act like they are the primary problem for scamming maybe 5grand a year, whole billion dollar back room payoffs happen dail costing us incredibly more.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Do you feel the same about Trump type billionaires who pay little or no taxes???

Or is that acceptable??

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I might argue, that the journey is usually a stupid one lol!

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Man..

A) I wouldn't have mentioned it..

B) if I did mention it, they would only have to tell me to keep it once lol..

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Who defrauded what company???

Defrauded would require taking some intentional action to create the environment to pull off a scam.

No one here has told a story where they committed fraud.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: seeker1963

It wasn't theft by ANY legal definition..

That requires me to have taken some action to deceive or set it up.

I did neither.

I just didn't point out the mistake.

If the manager had asked me ANYTHING like "have you already paid?"

I answer honestly.. I had the 1200 in my pocket as I was making the purchase anyway.

If you repeat that enough times, does it make it true eventually?

Did the computer belong to you? Did you perform the proper trade to assume ownership of said item? No?

Then it is theft. No gray areas. Black and White.

I wonder, do people's political views reflect their morality?

With the amount of posts you are making, maybe there is a little voice somewhere inside screaming out, trying to tell you something.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Wow!

Sounds like theft to me.
You didn't pay for goods received.
Bottom line.

How hard would it have been to confess you had not paid yet?
Instead of taking advantage of his attempt to help?

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

yarr. hate that guy

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

That's some super duper mental gymnastics! I'm actually moderately impressed.

The reality is you stole the computer. I can't say its that big of a deal, but judging by your responses, it very obviously still affects you.

Droid, you did the "right" thing. Whether or not you get something from the universe for that is up in the air (see: nope!), but its very obvious to anyone who hears the story just what kind of person you are.

I'd do business with you without hesitation!

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

Theft REQUIRES intent AND an illegal action taken by the person in question...

By definition.

Neither was present in either case.

And legally it was a gift..

The manager himself put it in my car....

I didn't even walk out the door with it..

And the little voice inside me tells me to continue pointing out the blantantly fake propaganda those like your self like to push..

What is actually more damaging to society???

Me keeping my mouth shut as the manager put the computer in my car??

Or all the fake news articles , pushed by fake websites that you and others use to dupe people, literally on a daily basis???

How many people believe in something totally fake SPECIFICALLY because of a thread or post YOU have started??

50-100.. more???

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Sounds like you should read the definition of theft....

As it requires both intent to steal and taking an action to create the environment to steal..

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Theft has a definition that requires both intent and taking some action to perpetuate it..

This doesn't meet with criteria..

Even if then noticed as I was leaving the lot, and got my tag number. The police would never charge that..

It is the equivalent of leaving the dog food under the cart accidentally

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

It wasn't theft by ANY legal definition..

That requires me to have taken some action to deceive or set it up.

There is something called effective consent which requires the merchant and the consumer to implicitly understand their intention is to provide goods or services gratis. It is in fact theft.

Here is an attorney providing advice in an almost identical situation: effective consent.

edit on 3-9-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: droid56

I am not sure what you needed to think about. Doing the right thing is always the best option. It isn't about Amazon, but about you and being able to look at the man in the mirror. The right thing is usually obvious...it isn't complicated.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Here is the legal definition of shoplifting, as that is far closer to the proposed crime..

"1. willfully concealing or taking possession of items being offered for sale; and
2. the intent to deprive the items' rightful owner (typically the store) of possession of the items, without paying the purchase price.

Crucially, this means that in most states, one can break shoplifting laws without attempting to get out of a store with stolen goods. Simply concealing merchandise, inside or outside the store, will often be enough. One must have the intent to take the item from the store, however, many states consider the act of concealing merchandise to be evidence of intent.

In addition to hiding an item to avoid paying for it, shoplifting laws also make it illegal to take actions to avoid paying the full purchase price for an item. This can include altering price tags, manipulating merchandise, and putting goods into different containers or packaging to avoid paying all or part of the purchase price."

Theft requires an intent to conceal .. I made no attempt to conceal ANYTHING...

It also requires an intent to deprive them of something.. I went there to buy a computer not steal one.

I didn't even walk it out the door NOR put it in my car, the manager did. All without ever asking anything that I could be accused of misleading him..

He came up with his cart. Im assuming to help me on the way to the cashier.. but instead he rolls it on out the door and once he hit the parking lot asks me where I parked.

That's not theft...

That is equivalent to the cashier forgetting to scan an item at the checkout line... something no one would ever call theft.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Inaction isn't against the law in almost any case..

Like on your child's health , failure to act can be a crime..

Failure to act when you put the victim in harms way can be a crime..

Your not even required to save a stranger in danger or a rape victim when you hear a random scream in the night..

Hopefully most people do, but if you think those things are legal, and what happened with me is illegal..... your crazy.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Integrity is how you deal with situations like that when nobody is watching.
You did great. Integrity doesn't always pay, but I'd rather be around people with it, than without it.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

a reply to: Gothmog

Man..

A) I wouldn't have mentioned it..

B) if I did mention it, they would only have to tell me to keep it once lol..

Yeah , good thing that never happened again. I would have been very tempted to keep my mouth shut. Most ridiculous thing I have been through.
Amazing red tape.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

edit on 3-9-2017 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join