It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M 6.3 Explosion - 24km ENE of Sungjibaegam, North Korea

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
"Successful" may be a bit of an exaggeration.

No!! This is a bit of an exaggeration
right from the horses own snout.

"The perfect success in the test of the H-bomb for ICBM clearly proved that the Juche-based nukes of the DPRK have been put on a highly precise basis, the creditability of the operation of the nuclear warhead is fully guaranteed and the design and production technology of nuclear weapons of the DPRK has been put on a high level to adjust its destructive power in consideration of the targets and purposes. It also marked a very significant occasion in attaining the final goal of completing the state nuclear force."

They love blowing their own horn, but to be honest, even a broken match can burn down a forest.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Bare with me here. This is the largest quake-explosion yet. A 6.0+, compared to the 4.0's of the past.

To my knowledge it can't be done. Hypothetically speaking, can they pack the nuke in a metric tonne of TNT to detonate it and cause a very large quake as they just did?

Edit: to get that "desired" effect.
edit on 3-9-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

An incomplete detonation (a fizzle) can still be in the kiloton, or even low megaton range without being a full size detonation. It would show as being fairly high on the seismic charts, without being a full strength detonation. This one was in the kiloton range according to one source, but they're still crunching numbers.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

No one will go for MAD over North Korea. But the US won't go Nuclear on them, can't do it.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Various news organizations online are now stating that the assumed detonation would be somewhere between 50-60 kilotons.

Link

To give people an idea of what that means:

Hiroshima - 15 kilotons
Nagasaki - 20 kilotons

If this really was a successful detonation, then NK has officially gone fully thermonuclear.

The sh** has just got real, folks.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Time to get you supplies together and ready to bug out !

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Usgs gives the quake as 4.1. Where is the 6. Measurement coming from?

don't worry. Was looking at the reading for the post explosion collapse.

looking like mid 30s kt range.
edit on 04pSun, 03 Sep 2017 04:35:04 -050020172017-09-03T04:35:04-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

A 6.3 happened, followed by a 4.1 eight minutes later.... the 4.1 has news agencies saying that it may be an underground collapse due to the strength of the original detonation.

Both quakes are listed at the EMSC site:
Link

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Thanks, shoulda scrolled lower on my phone

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I can't see why people show so much cowardice when it comes to NK having nuclear capabilities. Let them have them.... everyone else has them and have they used them? No, besides the US, the most dangerous and fear mongering country in the world.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

To the best of my knowledge (I'm clearly no expert), 1 kiloton represents the explosive power of 1000 tons of TNT. I've seen this test reported between 60 and 115 kilotons, or the equivalent explosive power of between 60,000 and 115,000 tons of TNT. Adding the bulk of a ton of TNT would seem a little pointless at this stage.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   
So the yield was 1 Megaton...

Allegedly.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity
Here a conversion table:

Kelly Kiloton Index of Earthquake Moment Magnitudes

2.8MT
edit on 3-9-2017 by Cofactor because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
I can't see why people show so much cowardice when it comes to NK having nuclear capabilities. Let them have them.... everyone else has them and have they used them? No, besides the US, the most dangerous and fear mongering country in the world.

I don't want the psychopathic little deluded tyrant having any more control than he has confined within his little haven known as north korea.

Just because the US has nukes (and has for a long time) doesn't mean the little arrogant snotty nosed pampered brat should have them also.

I have a large knife collection. But I don't want the meth head next door, hiding behind his curtains and threatening anyone who comes need his front door, to have equal access to big dangerous things, because he is an unstable miscreant and will probably cut himself in the groin.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Ca reply to: Cofactor

Thanks for the link, understanding all of that is somewhat above and beyond my mathematical abilities!

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick
a reply to: Spacespider
No one will go for MAD over North Korea. But the US won't go Nuclear on them, can't do it.

Cant? Of course they can. But still MAD wont happen, because that would be impossible. What is Kim gonna do, whip up 10,000 nukes in a day? If NK attacks with nukes, yes then millions might die. Tens of millions. Cities burning, dozens of cities. But even then that's just nip into the countries that would go against NK and pretty much gives the US carte blanche to nuke NK to oblivion. Kim will forfeit his right to have a country. I highly doubt China and Russia will be able to argue anything at that point. The only thing that will maybe stop that is China invading NK, thus making it hard for the US to bomb it. It'll end up in destruction alright - the destruction of NK. That's really not all that mutual, no.
edit on 3-9-2017 by merka because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This is a very difficult situation. You want to go into North Korea and sort out wobble man and give the people the freedom they deserve. If you try and do that though you effectively start another war.
Diplomay isn't working and probably won't. North Korea don't seem to want to talk. They are hell bent on making nuclear weapons.

How do you sort out a problem like North Korea?

SOMETHING, has to be done.

Then again, like you've all said. If he decided to nuke a country, he is effectively ending his spoiled brat life style, because the second he launches anything, he is a dead man.

You can't let this man carry on doing what he is doing.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: carewemust

We can pre emptively strike north korea with no consequences from china or the rest of the world. Wouldnt be the first time china backed down and got suddenly insecure when the usa dropped its trow to show just how big its stick really is.

That's a bold claim to make, I for one wouldn't want to take that risk.

Maybe it's true what they say about America having bigger "sticks" than any other country...

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
NORSAR www.norsar.no...
puts the yield at 120 kilotons based on 5.8

The seismological observatory NORSAR at Kjeller, Norway, has detected the latest underground nuclear test by North Korea. NORSAR has recorded signals from an underground nuclear test explosion conducted by North Korea at its Punggye-ri test site on 3 September 2017. NORSAR has estimated the explosive yield at 120 kilotons TNT, based on a seismic magnitude of 5.8....

how about 6.3. I heard of megaton spectrum according to some scale

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join