It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viral post captures Houston heroes

page: 1

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Found this today and thought I would share.

A viral Facebook post making the rounds on social media asks readers to pause and reflect on the unsung heroic men of Houston, Texas, in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey’s devastation.

www.conservativereview.com...

“Let this sink in for a minute.....Hundreds and hundreds of small boats pulled by countless pickups and SUVs from across the South are headed for Houston. Almost all of them driven by men,” Cayman Sartin posted Friday.

“They're using their own property, sacrificing their own time, spending their own money, and risking their own lives for one reason: to help total strangers in desperate need.”

The volunteer response to help rescue people from the flooding is by all accounts overwhelming. Ordinary people set out in boats, kayaks, even refrigerators, braving hazardous conditions to try to save lives. Thousands have signed up to volunteer with the Red Cross and other disaster relief organizations. Donations are pouring in. The Cajun Navy deployed.

“Most of them are by themselves,” Sartin’s post continues. “Most are dressed like the redneck duck hunters and bass fisherman they are. Many are veterans. Most are wearing well-used gimme-hats, t-shirts, and jeans; and there's a preponderance of camo. Most are probably gun owners, and most probably voted for Trump.”

Individual Americans didn’t wait for the government to come help people before seeing a need and rising to the occasion.

edit on 2-9-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Sep 2 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Thank God the cowardly useless women stayed out of the way of the men. Good thing women know their place in Texas.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010
attaboy, your starting to sound like a MAN now! There may be hope for you yet

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

Excuse but shouldn't it be attaMAN not boy? There was so much stereotyping in that article that while reading it I was expecting a country and western song to start up. Like the man and truck stereotype I mean HELLO some of us actually talk about cars and motorcycles while drinking beer and shooting fish instead of trucks.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Thank God the cowardly useless women stayed out of the way of the men. Good thing women know their place in Texas.

Excuse but shouldn't it be attaMAN not boy? There was so much stereotyping in that article that while reading it I was expecting a country and western song to start up. Like the man and truck stereotype I mean HELLO some of us actually talk about cars and motorcycles while drinking beer and shooting fish instead of trucks.

So, are you basing your whining, sorry diatribe on what you saw when you were on the ground (or in the water) in southeast Texas, alongside these beer drinking, gun toting, motorcycle driving neanderthal patriarchal stereotypes, helping pull people off of rooftops and out of flooded houses?

On your own nickle?

Paying expense out of your own pocket?

Putting your own physical well-being and material possessions at risk for the sake of others?

No?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Some folks ...

edit on 2017 9 02 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Is there something wrong with men doing what men do?

Did I miss some sort of sneer toward women in the post?? Did I miss the part where it was stated that no women were strong enough or were willing to help?

No? I didn't think so. Not everything is or is meant to be an insult.

J
edit on 9/2/2017 by LadyJae because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I know of a whole heap of women who have come together and are helping the victims of the flooding from all over America.....and I'm in the UK.
I also saw the photo of those trucks lining up with their boats in tow and had nothing but admiration for them.
In times of crisis, men do what men do and women do what women do...period...as you peeps would say.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I realize humor and sarcasm sometimes don't translate as intended in text, but this IS meant as a joke, right?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

"Attaman" would mean you are a bigger man or atleast equal in manlyness to the person addressing you. Seems like the "attaboy " was accurate in this case.

I loaded the backs of pickup trucks with water heading to the coast today.. Can't count how many flats it was. What did you do?

Edit to add : the trucks I loaded were not government or non-profit organizations. They were Texans just trying to help.

Last edit : Texas women aren't something to mess with. I know a few ranchers that are women, from birth to slaughter they've done it all. Today I noticed women doing a lot of the driving and the men folk were doing a lot of loading.

Can't comment on gender roles in boat rescues and clean up tho. I'm in south central Texas helping getting stuff out.

edit on 2-9-2017 by PlasticWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Real Americans with real values, not ghetto kept vote slaves told what to think who have had all morality stripped from them by their Democrat masters. The same masters who mock those in need and the ones going to help them.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Well, when you got a picture of a sissy as your Avatar...

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   

You're right sounds like the article writer made up this Cayman Sartin "Tweet", to promote his partisan view that he sees as being attacked by a few but it's obviously the marjory, as he is alluding to with the left.

“These are the people the Left loves to hate, the ones Maddow mocks. The ones Maher and Olbermann just *know* they're so much better than,” says the post. “These are The Quiet Ones. They don't wear masks and tear down statues. They don't, as a rule, march and demonstrate.”
OP Source

Being that the locals, Cajun Navy and coast guards are helping, no joke many have boats as many fishermen do! Yes, they are heros! No need to marginalize unless one wants division(probably did for the trollololo attention) and article clicks.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Wait, so you know for sure he's not in TX and hasn't helped people? He has a TV show avatar, big deal, avatars don't always make the person. In fact that avatar goes along with this sites science topics.
edit on 3-9-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
a reply to: incoserv

Wait, so you know for sure he's not in TX and hasn't helped people? He has a TV show avatar, big deal, avatars don't always make the person. In fact that avatar goes along with this sites science topics.

Are you assuming this individual's gender?

FOR SHAME!!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Yeah, so

Anyways

Good on them. Thats very cool.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I'm sorry to drop in here, but I just joined this site and I'm having trouble figuring out how to post a new thread.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: FitzFitz

You gotta make a set number of posts in slready existing threads. Not too many though i think its like 20. Then the ability to start your own thread will be available.

top topics

join