It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toxic waste sites near Houston flooded by Harvey, EPA not on scene

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The Associated Press visited five Superfund sites in and around Houston during the flooding. All had been inundated with water; some were only accessible only by boat.

EPA spokeswoman Amy Graham could not immediately provide details on when agency experts would inspect the Houston-area sites. She said Friday that EPA staff had checked on two other Superfund sites in Corpus Christi and found no significant damage.

The threats to human health and wildlife from rising waters that inundate Superfund sites vary widely depending on the specific contaminants and the concentrations involved. The EPA report specifically noted the risk that floodwaters might carry away and spread toxic materials over a wider area.

In Crosby, across the San Jacinto River from Houston, a small working-class neighborhood sits between two Superfund sites, French LTD and the Sikes Disposal Pits.

The area was wrecked by Harvey's floods. Only a single house from among the roughly dozen lining Hickory Lane was still standing.

According to an EPA survey from last year, soil from the former waste pits contains dioxins and other long-lasting toxins linked to birth defects and cancer.

Kara Cook-Schultz, who studies Superfund sites for the advocacy group TexPIRG, said environmentalists have warned for years about the potential for flooding to inundate Texas Superfund sites, particularly the San Jacinto Waste Pits.

"If floodwaters have spread the chemicals in the waste pits, then dangerous chemicals like dioxin could be spread around the wider Houston area," Cook-Schultz said. "Superfund sites are known to be the most dangerous places in the country, and they should have been properly protected against flooding."

Obviously, not good at all. The long term impact of this storm will likely be colossal.

Here's a map of the various toxic waste site locations just within the Houston area:

One thing to note, the floodwaters likely impact previous sites deemed stable, because remediation efforts were completed...ie, they buried the stuff. Many did not account for this level of flooding. So it's far more than just the current federal and state listed locations.

What a mess.

ETA:

Initially, I was willing to give the EPA a pass for not being at these locations yet. Obviously, a full assessment isn't possible while many of these locations are still under 5 feet of water. But I do have to wonder, why aren't they at least testing the water in the area? Shouldn't first responders know of the current and specific risks?

Makes me wonder....

edit on 2-9-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

My family and I are heading down to help out. Bought the highest grade full masks and replacement filters available and tyvek suits....just in case.

But without a way to meter all types of contamination its still sketchy to consider not wearing them full time, but filters for this type of deal are only good 8 hours...it gets very cost prohibitive.

Another problem is gas...logistics for this trip are very challenging.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Stay safe and don't do anything to put your health at risk.

Meanwhile, here is some video from today of the Highland Acid Pit:

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

"Houston, we have a problem" Water borne toxic substances will eventually flow back into the Gulf but leave in their wake places that will resemble Love Canal or Times Beach MO.

And to compound the problem will be mosquito borne diseased of who knows what and mold.... Long term impact indeed. Biblical in fact!!!

And Trump wants to defund the EPA...This problem is beyond the scope of the EPA anyway. The Katrina aftermath pales in comparison.

www.sciencemag.org...
edit on 2-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

The EPA has been a dysfunctional mess for decades. That has nothing to do with Trump's EPA funding intentions.

But I agree with you, the consequences are likely to be something we have not seen before. I hope that is wrong, but it really doesn't look too good right now.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: olaru12

The EPA has been a dysfunctional mess for decades. That has nothing to do with Trump's EPA funding intentions.

But I agree with you, the consequences are likely to be something we have not seen before. I hope that is wrong, but it really doesn't look too good right now.

One thing is for sure...

With a disaster of this magnitude; we need a strong leader in the WH and Trumps not it. There are huge political implications in this type of national catastrophe. You wanted a business man...

Look at his science adviser, oh that's right...

www.technologyreview.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Time is of the essence. What is the state of Texas doing....

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Well the old saying was, The solution to pollution is dilution. If that helps at all.... Epa is a useless entity, take it from someone who has lived in some of the areas they "fixed".

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
So what will the EPA do ?,nothing like they always do,what are they going to do,set up bright orange cones,the EPA is a joke,only ones for them are liberals,because they believe what they are told,EPA needs defunding

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

EPA slams reporter over story on flooded toxic waste sites in Houston

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued a press release Sunday that slammed a reporter by name over a story about the flooding of toxic waste sites in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.

"Yesterday, the Associated Press' Michael Biesecker wrote an incredibly misleading story about toxic land sites that are under water," said the release written by Associate EPA Administrator Liz Bowman.

It went on to say that he "had the audacity to imply that agencies aren't being responsive to the devastating effects of Hurricane Harvey." Beyond stating that the report was inaccurate, the EPA accused Biesecker of creating "panic" and of politicizing the work of first responders "who are actually in the affected area," as opposed to Biesecker, who the EPA stated was "reporting from the comfort of Washington."

Here is the actual Press Release: Link.

I can't recall off hand a time when a government agency went specifically after an individual reporter by name:

Unfortunately, the Associated Press’ Michael Biesecker has a history of not letting the facts get in the way of his story. Earlier this summer, he made-up a meeting that Administrator Pruitt had, and then deliberately discarded information that refuted his inaccurate story – ultimately prompting a nation-wide correction. Additionally, the Oklahoman took him to task for sensationalized reporting.

Hm.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
As bad as the chemical contamination is, the biological pathogens will be the long term culprit the the EPA is powerless to control with out some serious money, personnel and government support. I don't think that will happen with the current right wing administration and it's cost cutting agenda.
Without proper sanitation being restored quickly at the risk of possible epidemics....

www.forbes.com...

It will be interesting how the Trump Admin. handles this mess.

It's sad that peoples lives will be political pawns in government gamesmanship.

Gut the EPA and what's left to handle the medical and toxic aftermath of disasters?
edit on 5-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join