It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DACA immigrants terrified as President Trump decides their fate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

If "most" people feel that way, then why do they use them as "hoaxes" for campaign purposes? Because "most" is an innacurate word used to lend credence to your opinion.

Immigration is a tough issue. It isn't so simple as give everybody amnesty or kick everybody out. Those who don't come through legal channels should not be given a free pass. However, many came as children when they were too young to truly know the difference, and they have been here for decades. Maybe they should be given careful consideration for citizenship.

At what point should we grant assylum to Mexicans who are fleeing the violence?

It's tricky. Give the President a chance to do it right. Protest if he gets it wrong, and remember that his powers are limited. Petition congress. Yadda, yadda. But don't criticise a man for something as tricky as this BEFORE you know what he is actually doing.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: carewemust
According to this article from June, President Trump is NOT terminating the DACA program.
www.theatlantic.com...

From the article I linked above:

"We called ICE in Chicago, and the person there told us, ‘When Trump came in, DACA doesn't exist anymore.’ I couldn't believe they told me that."

It seems everyone at ICE already knows the score.

"When Trump came in, DACA doesn't exist anymore." ??? He came into their office and stated that DACA doesn't exist anymore?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I think it's a stunt, too. Make them think you're going to ask big, then they settle more easily for something less.

Now, I have no doubt people are worried about this. However, weren't they ALWAYS worried except for the time they were covered by DACA?

I think Trump will announce a sunset on DACA of some kind, while allowing people to stay.

This will take its toll psychologically on the children smuggled in and their loved ones. It's almost like a battered wife thing. "He's being nice now, I should give him a chance."

This is messy on Trump's part, but there really is no clean way to deal with it. Our laws have to be respected and if we can't even have a discussion about these things on the public stage (without being called racists) then our borders mean nothing.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Hence time for Trump to save the day. Show that he's in control. Politics is ugly and people are pawns in a chess game.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Give them the immigration test if they pass they become legal citizens, which is the law anyway.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

The law has other requirements, which is what kept them from taking it and becoming citizens in the first place.

Waive those and you get a bunch of people whining about others having to wait in line.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: xuenchen

But we have to draw the line somewhere. Good lord, let's show some compassion. Let the kids stay.

Well, if the kids stay, then the parents who broke the law must also stay. What about the grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc. who came here illegally? You can't break up families, that isn't "compassionate". So basically, everyone stays and gets rewarded for breaking the law and jumping the line. Those people who try to become citizens legally are such suckers.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

You make a good point.

I will admit that we have to draw a line somewhere.

Where is the most compassionate, most reasonable, most practical line?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Where is the most compassionate, most reasonable, most practical line?

The Law. I think we should follow the law. If the law says everyone is to be deported, then they should be deported, If the law says everyone gets to stay, then they stay. I don't think breaking the law, just because some people "feel" like it should be an option. If people don't like what the law says, elect representatives who will change it. Until then, the government and "law" enforcement should obey the law. If we can bend or break the law on immigration, why not every other issue as well?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   

You make a good point.

The problem is that any enforcement of the law, and any change of the law would impact and reflect on congress.

And we all know what spineless pussies they are.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It sounds like it only incentivizes illegal activity, emphasis on the word 'illegal'.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TheTory

There is a time limit which excludes new arrivals so no, it actually doesn't.

Of course the old incentives are still there, which is why they are there to begin with. Some might say they are by design.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I wonder what the chances are that Trump is once again positioning the MSM to look as fake as possible?

You have to think Machiavellian. If Trump wanted to land another significant blow to the media's credibility, he'd encourage stories that Dreamers have to go, and then would announce otherwise.

We shall see.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   

My take on it is that once you were in the DACA program you were considered legal by the government for all intents and purposes. Jobs, school, etc. Even if you hadn't made it to where you can get a green card yet.

That could not be further from correct.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Gothmog

You have to be reevaluated every so many years (2 I think) and get approved to keep your DACA status.

But that means a person isnt a legal citizen. That is a temporary pass.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: Kali74

I don't think so. If someone applied to the dreamer program it was because they had no other way to become legal.

Maybe some got married to citizens or any other "shady" moves.

Was there an easier way for dreamers to change their status?

They could join the military and get their citizenship after their service.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Very reliable quote and source for sure.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

They were never granted voting rights.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

That's what the DACA program is. It's not legal status. Deferred Action... temporary. It simply means if you are accepted into the program you can live openly without being deported.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

Because most don't vote. The base votes. Most elected office is determined by primaries, especially at the local levels. The GOP platform does not represent what most peole would choose happen, once details emerge, in virtually any situation. The GOP agenda that continues to be laid out comes straight from their campaign trail preaching points that serve as wedge issues and fire up people who are hard- right voters. They aren't selling vision and hope, they are throwing chum into the pool to create a feeding frenzy. A frenzied person, they believe, is motivated to vote.

The alternative is that we have a vision and purpose for what all of us could become, the achievements we could collectively realize, the depths of the space frontiers we could explore.

But no, the resistance is having to push back on a new threat every single day that enacting right wing policy creates. Their agenda sucks. Repeatedly. It works at rallies to the vocal minority and feeds their fear and resentments. They are being used and exploited too in the name of the game.

We are and can be way better than this, as a species. There are better ways to structure civilizations than winner take all. That structure will eventually destroy us all, if we don't start creating a new vision for our future, very, very soon.

Peace

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join