It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nurse forcibly arrested for not allowing cop to draw blood of unconscious patient(Video)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Nurse forcibly arrested for not allowing cop to draw blood of unconscious patient (VIDEO)

Bodycam video shows a Salt Lake City police detective grabbing a frightened nurse and twisting her arm before handcuffing her at University Hospital, all because she cited policy not allowing him to draw blood from an unconscious patient. “I’m just trying to do what I’m supposed to do,” nurse Alex Wubbels explained to Detective Jeff Payne on July 26. Video of her violent arrest was released by the Salt Lake Tribune late Thursday.
Source - Newsline

Video provided below, this look really uncalled for. The unconscious patient was a victim in the accident.

Different sources, but the RT titled one is going around. More from another one:

The civil attorney was also critical of the University of Utah Police for not intervening to help the nurse. “She was rightfully afraid of her well-being,” added Porter.
“They refused to take any steps to protect her.” The Salt Lake City Police Department has viewed the body cam video and started an internal affairs investigation into the arresting officer. The police department has also ordered more training for officers who work with medical providers.
Source - Fox 13- SLC

Another video:
Nurse shares police video of 'crazy' arrest by S.L. officer

edit on 1-9-2017 by dreamingawake because: added vid

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Dumb ass authoritarian cops, fire their asses, sue the living daylights out of them and for good measure they should have their assets seized.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Compensate the Nurse and the Patient, sack that utter disgrace of a police officer, he is neither worthy to be called such nor is he safe around people at all especially good people and the injured or dying, he was intent upon infringing that injured person's right's by taking blood without there consent or the consent of a relative and he was also intent upon doing it to an injured person whose blood pressure could have been low anyway and whom may have had blood transfusion's, medication or other medical complication's and to add injury to insult he attacked a TRUE professional that most police would treat with the uttermost respect and see as a colleague of equal standing to one of there own.

I do not doubt that there are plenty of decent police officers whom would love to give him a hiding for his utterly disgraceful behavior and would definitely not want that man for a colleague.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Poor nurse will not be poor nurse for long. I smell millions of $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Cop probably put on desk job or early retirement.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   

There is, from the looks of this, only one way the officer involved with this arrest should ever see the inside of a police station again, and that is when he is taken into the custody suite, there to hang out until he can be formally charged and placed before a judge to hear the formal charge against him.

The man literally arrested that nurse for doing her job. This is absolutely disgraceful, and goes against every noble idea that ever informed the creation of policing, and the concepts of law and justice to boot. Absolutely disgusting.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies. As this address constitutional issues, that may be looked over in training in other places as well.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   
He should be fired the #ing pig !
Poor woman

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:02 AM
link   
What the hell is wrong with this idiot?
I'd expect a cop to respect a professional medic when they tell them to leave a patient alone.

Makes me wonder how low they are setting the bar for law enforcement.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The gray haired officer really pisses me off. He makes some statement about "preventing me from enforcing MY law". What the ______? My law? What a jackwit!

Both these officers need to hung out to dry. I would've shot both up with demerol, put them in restraints and taken them to the psyche ward as a public danger.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   
What drives these cops crazy is the nurse had twice as much training as they have.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The cop needs one up side his head. What an authoritarian idiot. I've seen some cops do some stupid stuff over the years, but this guy needs to be in jail with the other people he probably did similar things to. I hope the nurse and the hospital sue the department for employing idiots and win their budget for years.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   
The cop was no spring chicken. Scary to think what else he's been getting up to and away with all these years. The Younger cop appeared to be saying no no no and was trying to calm the older guy down a little from what i saw and heard.

Hypothetical question, Do you have a right to resist arrest in these type of scenarios?. I for one wouldn't have went quietly. Old fart would have had a fight on his hands.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
The cop was no spring chicken. Scary to think what else he's been getting up to and away with all these years. The Younger cop appeared to be saying no no no and was trying to calm the older guy down a little from what i saw and heard.

Hypothetical question, Do you have a right to resist arrest in these type of scenarios?. I for one wouldn't have went quietly. Old fart would have had a fight on his hands.

I would have gotten arrested for trying to stop that cop from arresting the nurse.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   

The nurse was just following orders from her supervisor. She explained to the police officer why she couldn't allow him to draw blood. This doofus police officer thinks just because he has a badge he can arrest someone for protecting a patients rights and doing their job?

The smart thing he should have done was to call his supervisor and explained the hospital's patient's protection procedure. Instead he decided to handle this innocent nurse like she was a criminal. This cop should be fired for his actions.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
And we all know how this ends. The cop will face no real discipline, the dept will apologize and give some kind of BS statement about updated training and the story will fade when the next headline comes along. They'll say the cop was "under stress from investigating the accident". Wait and see.
We can be as outraged as we like, it'll never do any good.
ETA. Why was the cop taking the blood of the victim? It was a driver who was hit by a fleeing suspect, so why did they think they were going to need that?
edit on 1-9-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Police can draw blood???

I had no idea they practiced that skill with anything other than their nightsticks and jackboots.

Let's face it Police are nothing more these days than the right-hand paramilitary arm of the totalitarian Orwellian orientated gooberment.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   

I watched both videos. It looked like, to me, that the cops didn't ask the right preliminary questions. In the 20 minute video, the supervisor asks if the hospital had already drawn blood. When he is told yes, he continues on to say that if he would've known that, he would've got a warrant to take a sample of that blood instead of asking for another sample to be drawn. Which should've been a preliminary question, not an afterthought. It sounds like there were phone conversations that took place that were not recorded prior to all this happening.

The part that bothers me is that the supervisor then goes on to insinuate that it is the nurse who is the cause of the issue...which makes it look like he is covering up for the department/arresting officers errors. As well as it looks like he is using the nurse as a "bargaining tool" in order to make the hospital comply. This may not be the case, but it certainly seems to be the case from the videos.

Very traumatizing for the nurse and quite unnecessary if the videos are presenting the whole scenario and not leaving out anything leading up to this event.

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Technically I believe you would be able to resist any unlawful arrest, but it'd be unwise to do so.

There are also schools of thought that believe any order given by an officer is a lawful order, thus resisting would always be wrong.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
The gray haired officer really pisses me off. He makes some statement about "preventing me from enforcing MY law". What the ______? My law? What a jackwit!

Both these officers need to hung out to dry. I would've shot both up with demerol, put them in restraints and taken them to the psyche ward as a public danger.

To be fair, he might just have mixed up "preventing me from doing my job" and "enforcing the law". I think that is likely.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   

If I were the hospital police staff I would have used as much lethal force as necessary to stop the individual as to me he has dementia and is a threat to himself, the public, and most importantly that nurse.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join