It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump moves to restore work requirement for welfare

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

The Trump administration moved Wednesday to reimpose work requirements for Americans on welfare, revoking an Obama-era policy that had urged states to apply for waivers exempting the poor from having to show they were either getting job training or looking for work.

Requiring work was a key part of the 1996 welfare reform law enacted by a GOP-led Congress and signed by then-President Bill Clinton, and Mr. Trump’s move restores the law as written.

“The waiver option offered by the Obama administration is being replaced today by an expectation that work should always be encouraged as a condition for receiving welfare,” said Steven Wagner, the Health and Human Services Department’s acting assistant secretary for children and families.

The 2012 Obama policy didn’t outright gut the welfare law. Instead, it pushed states to consider applying for waivers that would let them still pay benefits to people even if they weren’t actively seeking work, job training or meeting other criteria.

www.washingtontimes.com...

With what appears to be a surplus of available jobs in the US, looks like there's no cause for high unemployment rates. Tie that into restoring work requirements for welfare recipients.

When KS did this, many thought the recipients seeking employment would only find low paying/low skilled positions. Turns out though, that wasn't true.

The study found that those who left welfare saw their earnings increase by 104 percent in one year, which is $20 million more than they had while on welfare. In four years, these individuals saw their incomes increase by 247 percent.

Individuals who left welfare are also better off because they found employment in more than 600 different industries and found long-term, high-paying jobs.

"Critics of work requirements frequently suggest that enrollees who leave welfare are only able to find low-wage, entry-level employment," the report states. "Able-bodied adults removed from TANF found employment in more than 600 different industries, ranging from health care to finance to information technology. Even better, those who did find initial employment in entry-level jobs—such as those in food service, retail, or temp agencies—quickly found longer-term, higher-paying jobs."

freebeacon.com...

Is it the right time for this? Maybe TX will get a waiver for a year or two while people put their lives back together. But then again, maybe not. They'll need jobs and money to restart.

edit on 31-8-2017 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Good! As long as they are determined fit to work.

There is a place and time for welfare. For those who NEED it.

It is so abused now that drastic actions are needed.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I approve of this measure. It doesn't benefit society to have a bunch of moochers sucking the government teet all the time, then complaining because they can't get enough.

I don't work my ass off so others can be lazy and whine about handouts.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

its nice to see that world wide, people on welfare are considered nothing but bludgers...

:/

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Welfare for work, so this means sports teams will be required to do community service in order to have tax payers pay for their posh new stadiums and renovations?

Hm. it seems like this only applies to poor people. Rich people are still getting their welfare, if it applies to one it should apply to all. That is how class warfare erupts, like we got now.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

This is simple common sense and has been missing from America for too long.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
There is no need to create more jobs. It's all an illusion. An artificial prison. Imagine if everyone that worked a 40hr+ week was reduced to 20hrs and their pay was increased accordingly to make up the difference. You now have another 20hr job available and the ability to work less and live more. Free time leads to free thinking and that type of behavior is counter productive to them. The cost of living (comfortably), goes up and almost with criminal intent, our wages are suppressed to ensure the profitability of the few.

Trickle down, my ass!!!

Wait... that didn't sound right.

LOL

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

its nice to see that world wide, people on welfare are considered nothing but bludgers...

Clearly most of the people that talk about people on welfare are referring to the ones who abuse the system.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

"A Bludger is a round, jet black ball, made of iron, and is used in the wizarding sport of Quidditch. It is ten inches in diameter. There are two Bludgers used in every match, which are bewitched to fly around and try to knock the players off of their brooms."

Bludger huh. Uhhh, okay.

As you can see by the posts already made and I concur, there is a time and place for welfare. It was never designed to be a permanent fix for people. It's supposed to be a hand up when needed. NOT a permanent life style of dependency on the backs of the middle income earners. Every time someone uses the term "government money", it's really money out of our pockets. I know many here including myself can tell stories of the many people we see who are capable of working but choose not to and instead laze about watching TV, playing video games, and gambling their "government" money. It's quite simply disgusting. For those who need some help through rough patches while they get education and training or seek employment, I have only respect as I do for anyone capable who is trying to better their lives and be financially independent.

ETA, okay. I see where the term is from. Wasn't familiar with it. But if the shoe fits...

edit on 31-8-2017 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
So if you lose your job, you can't get welfare because you don't have a job?

That doesn't seem right.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

If you lose your job, the concept is that you would get another one. Ponder it.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Corporate welfare harbored this such as JP Morgan which makes a killing off of the benefits. As per usual all the blame goes towards the needy. Who are obviously all moochers(yes, sarc.). Supplemental food assistance which is about a weeks worth of food out of a month for some in benefits, is nothing to glorify.

Many places have already had work(pt) requirements before receiving assistance. Even with college to qualify for food benefits you have to work up to pt(ft disqualifies you anyway).

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

So, what are you supposed to do between the jobs?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

A Mitt Romney TV ad claims the Obama administration has adopted “a plan to gut welfare reform by dropping work requirements.”

The plan does neither of those things.

Work requirements are not simply being “dropped.” States may now change the requirements — revising, adding or eliminating them — as part of a federally approved state-specific plan to increase job placement.

And it won’t “gut” the 1996 law to ease the requirement. Benefits still won’t be paid beyond an allotted time, whether the recipient is working or not.

factcheck.org

You guys just recycle this stuff.

Another super-sized Nothingburger, brought to you courtesy of Trump.

edit on 31-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

It's actually just Trump undoing everything Obama did. No matter what. Trump wants to make it like the Obama administration never existed and that means undoing every single one of his Executive Orders. You won't find much opposition to this viewpoint on this forum. The only exception, so far, was the recent EO allowing police departments to acquire military equipment. Even then there were people who supported it.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234
a reply to: Aliensun

So, what are you supposed to do between the jobs?

look for a job like the "requirements" say

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   

did your parents ever let you stop going to school? or stop goimg to work but live in their house and on top give you an allowance ??

sounds like terrible parenting..

hmmm..

you dont need to find a job to recieve free money.. you only have to apply for work or go to school.. Two things that can land you a way of supporting yourself and in the mean time you still have a government check..

what would you have these people doing all day instead??

this is treating welfare recipients better than before. This treats them with respect instead of as a house pet.
edit on 31-8-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I disagree with this, 100%.

I'm pretty open with my situation here. At 20 I was diagnosed with a mental illness and given full blown disability. Being 20, I had very little in work credits, which meant my disability payments were the minimum. $750/month in todays dollars (back then, I think they were $650).

I lived that way for a couple years, until I decided I wanted a change. That was at 22 I think. I spent the next 13 years getting educated. I started with one class, then two, then full time. I currently have about 450 semester credits. My GPA sucks because I'm a bad student (I'm great at learning, theorizing, and applying... but unless I find the subject interesting I very much only do enough to get through a class) but I have degrees in Computer Graphics, Web Development, Digital Technology, Simulation and Game Engineering, Computer Science, and by the end of this year, Business.

That's just about what it takes to overcome the dual stigmas of welfare+disability in the US. And you know what? It worked. Starting in the beginning of summer I was given a full time software development position. Then they worked with me to work part time while I finish my last year of school.

I am a very recent transition off of welfare. The only reason I was able to do it in the first place, was that unearned income gave me the time to devote to my studies. If I had to work, for a low wage, for a significant period of time each month... nothing would have ever gotten done.

Good educational programs in the US require one to go all in. It's only late in a program where work+study becomes feasable.

Welfare programs that require work, take away the time a person has to improve themselves and better their position.

Money means freedom to put time into the type of profession you want to do. Working for that money, takes away that freedom.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

This is essentially my job, or used to be. I can say that I've never met a single person who has any idea how "welfare" works. I mean, can even one person tell me with out looking it up (as if anyone would before forming an opinion anyway) what the requirements are??? Can anyone tell me which states are using waivers? For the state's that arent, can't you tell me what the work requirements are? I seriously doubt it.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

I disagree with this, 100%.

I'm pretty open with my situation here. At 20 I was diagnosed with a mental illness and given full blown disability. Being 20, I had very little in work credits, which meant my disability payments were the minimum. $750/month in todays dollars (back then, I think they were $650).

I lived that way for a couple years, until I decided I wanted a change. That was at 22 I think. I spent the next 13 years getting educated. I started with one class, then two, then full time. I currently have about 450 semester credits. My GPA sucks because I'm a bad student (I'm great at learning, theorizing, and applying... but unless I find the subject interesting I very much only do enough to get through a class) but I have degrees in Computer Graphics, Web Development, Digital Technology, Simulation and Game Engineering, Computer Science, and by the end of this year, Business.

That's just about what it takes to overcome the dual stigmas of welfare+disability in the US. And you know what? It worked. Starting in the beginning of summer I was given a full time software development position. Then they worked with me to work part time while I finish my last year of school.

I am a very recent transition off of welfare. The only reason I was able to do it in the first place, was that unearned income gave me the time to devote to my studies. If I had to work, for a low wage, for a significant period of time each month... nothing would have ever gotten done.

Good educational programs in the US require one to go all in. It's only late in a program where work+study becomes feasable.

Welfare programs that require work, take away the time a person has to improve themselves and better their position.

Money means freedom to put time into the type of profession you want to do. Working for that money, takes away that freedom.

Yeah, just like me going into work every day takes time away from learning a bunch of crap, generally su king at it, and maybe landing a job out of dumb luck but beinghapoier for it. You're actually the poster child for what's wrong with our benefits systems. Happy we could all pay for you to meander your way to enlightenment though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join