It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's three days left to make your thoughts on Net Neutrality heard.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Pick a site to comment:
dearfcc.org...
www.gofccyourself.com

Either one will let you leave your name and comment your thoughts on Net Neutrality... unless your cable company already posted their thoughts under your name, which has happened to many millions of people.

If you don't know what Net Neutrality is, basically it's the idea that network traffic needs to be treated equally. Unlike how it's framed, it has nothing to do with fast and slow lanes. Instead Net Neutrality essentially stops the cable company from dictating policy to the websites it connects to. Without Net Neutality, cable companies can charge websites "connection fees", and deny users content based on how many of those fees the website paid. By doing this, they deny you the service you're paying for, at the speeds you're paying for.

To use an analogy I often use.

Lets say the roads are the internet. A business is connected to a road, as is your home, Going from the home to the business in your car is the path the data travels, your car is a data packet. Removing Net Neutrality would allow the road owner to extract concessions (mostly in the form of extra fees) in order to let your car exit the road, and connect to that business.

It's a horrible idea and is anti consumer. Make your voice heard.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Here, put your full name and address on here if you have a complaint.

What kind of bs is that?

God, we are surrounded by greedy sellouts.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Nonya bis
P.o. box notgonnasay
Anytown, anystate

And "net nuetrality can kiss my whatever race or gender i happen to be on any given sunday 's rear.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MissCoyote

Good idea, I am going to try a bunk name, this needs stopped.
Thanks

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

People are too busy arguing about nazis and antifa go worry about this.

Another win for the people making the decisions.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
very important and timely, thank you for the reminder

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
In hopes for being heard. I'm sure the pro NN bots will drown out a lot of it as they have before. So, it's going to take extra effort to get through with more knowing about it.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Let me guess.

Being British, my opinion will matter nought, because the FCC is an American organisation? Heres the thing, its not the FCCs decision, unless the only people affected by it are going to be American. If the rest of the world will be affected by the decision, given the nature of the internet itself, then the rest of the world should have a say, and the FCC should be able to make no decision which goes against the weight of public opinion GLOBALLY!

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: MissCoyote

Good idea, I am going to try a bunk name, this needs stopped.
Thanks

Don't do that, you have to use a real name.

The reason the FCC is requiring that, is that when they review the comments they're filtering out every name that isn't the information of an American citizen. They claim this is to eliminate bots. Instead, what happened is the cable companies started taking user names and posting anti Net Neutrality statements on the website using their customers information.

If you don't use your real name, the comment will be deleted. You need to use your real information, not just so that the cable companies can't use it instead, but so that the comment will be counted. And so that you can try to get the comment removed, if something fraudulent was posted under your name.

What's almost certainly going to happen here, is they're going to rule against Net Neutrality, that part is essentially a done deal. But in order to enact it, they're going to have to prove to a judge that they're acting according to the wishes of the American people. That's where your voice comes in here. Not that of a fake name, or a bot. Your actual name/information tied to a post. So the judge sees it, knows it's legit, and can take your wishes into account.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

If they are going to do this based on the wishes of the American people, I do hope that only American traffic will be affected, and that everyone else's traffic will be left to operate as normal... There will be repercussions otherwise.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Let me guess.

Being British, my opinion will matter nought, because the FCC is an American organisation? Heres the thing, its not the FCCs decision, unless the only people affected by it are going to be American. If the rest of the world will be affected by the decision, given the nature of the internet itself, then the rest of the world should have a say, and the FCC should be able to make no decision which goes against the weight of public opinion GLOBALLY!

The rest of the world will just stop connecting to American servers, and the internet will proceed for them unchanged. Though some products will change.

Net Neutrality will make us the North Korea of the internet, it would completely isolate us from the rest of the world and destroy the American tech industry. Those industries wouldn't disappear however, they would just move to Japan, Europe, and Australia.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

If they are going to do this based on the wishes of the American people, I do hope that only American traffic will be affected, and that everyone else's traffic will be left to operate as normal... There will be repercussions otherwise.

It's ok net neutrality is protected in the UK via EU law...

(Coughs and looks at floor)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Oh really?

So YouTube content from the States, for example... how will that work? Will it still be available on European servers?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Then we shall force our government here to replace that law with one which equally protects the freedom of the net, or goes further to do so. And by force, I mean literally if we have to, with anything we have at our disposal.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Oh really?

So YouTube content from the States, for example... how will that work? Will it still be available on European servers?

Not entirely sure. It depends on how much the industry wants to clamp down on proxy servers. If they do, Youtube will probably just make some european servers for europeans to connect to. If they'll treat european traffic normally, or perhaps even speed it up.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Then we shall force our government here to replace that law with one which equally protects the freedom of the net, or goes further to do so. And by force, I mean literally if we have to, with anything we have at our disposal.

When was the last time the UK forced the government to o anything in the UK?

The poll tax maybe.

Net neutrality is important but a hard sell to most people as a critical issue.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Maybe not at the moment, but you wait till the consequences of a non-neutral internet come about. People will be climbing over one another to thump their MP into submission. Its about time we got hands on with those bastards anyway.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Maybe not at the moment, but you wait till the consequences of a non-neutral internet come about. People will be climbing over one another to thump their MP into submission. Its about time we got hands on with those bastards anyway.

Will give you the benefit of the doubt you mean metaphorically.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

That is most gracious of you.

Yes, I was not suggesting we use stun guns and cudgels, marching them shackled to the vote with a gun to their heads. They have not proven that sort of nonsense necessary, and it would be preferable if they simply did as they were told out of fear that we might try more proactive means if they refuse.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Big brother = bad.

Therefore, let's rely on big brother to protect the internet.

That's essentially the pro-NN thought process.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join