It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tobe Hooper Dead at 74

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Tobe Hooper, ‘Texas Chain Saw Massacre’ and ‘Poltergeist’ Director, Dies at 74

Well, damn.

He, like Romero, was definitely a pioneer, with the raw, grainy low-budget grit of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and the phenomenally creepy Poltergeist, plus many others.

Tobe Hooper, the horror director best known for helming “The Texas Chain Saw Massacre” and “Poltergeist,” died Saturday in Sherman Oaks, Calif., according to the Los Angeles County Coroner. He was 74. The circumstances of his death were not known.

We also had the amazingly dark and disturbing Salem's Lot, and the lesser known, although one of my favorites, Eaten Alive, with an extremely young Robert Englund. I LOVE the lighting in Eaten Alive and the use of color, which is a 360 from the earthy, monotone bleakness of Chainsaw Massacre. And don't forget The Funhouse, haha.

I still haven't seenn Djinn. :/
edit on 27-8-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I was terrified of chainsaw as a kid, it seemed so possible. Based on Ed Guinness? The closing seane with leather face on his highway, buuurrrrr, still creeps me out!! RIP you mad genius!!

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Ed Gein. Yeah, apparently what with all the decorations and ornaments made from human bones and body parts, it was inspired by Gein.

That said, the thing about TCM that freaked me out when I was younger was that it was marketed as a true story, and the way that it was shot. Yeah that closing scene is traumatizing, lol.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Aww, RIP.

On top of his classics, more recently, I liked his second to last movie, Mortuary. Didn't catch his last, Djinn, yet.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
That's fairly young, 74. I wonder what happened.

I will have to watch some of the movies being listed, but Poltergeist is part of my childhood forever.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise
That's fairly young, 74. I wonder what happened.

I will have to watch some of the movies being listed, but Poltergeist is part of my childhood forever.

The latest I heard was "natural causes," and haven't heard many other details.

I think Poltergeist was part of most of our childhoods. lol

new topics

top topics

join