It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learning To Recognize The Lie.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I live in the back woods and I realize that my world doesn't match the world that is portrayed in the media.

I had to attend a mandatory meeting today. After the meeting some of us decided to go to lunch together. After everybody made a choice, it was decided that we would have lunch at a cafe close to the office. One person in the group said she didn't like the cafe. She said it had nothing to do with the food, that she had found the food good in the past, but the atmosphere was not to her liking, but she would go if everyone else wanted to go.

I had never been to the cafe before, but the moment I entered the cafe I realized why she didn't want to go. I realized after assessing the environment, that she felt uncomfortable with the other patrons because they appeared to be your traditional country redneck citizens, and she was a Black female.

Growing up in this environment I realized why she felt uncomfortable. I am very good at making people feel comfortable with the environment that is shared, so it didn't take long before I had everyone laughing while waiting to be called to our tables.

After lunch she commented that she had a good time and that she felt welcomed for the first time she had ever been there.

Just another experience that shows that the crap the media is spewing is a lie.

Not saying there are not racist or bigots in America, just saying that are the exception, not the rule.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Wonderful story.

Turned on the happy factor and brightened up the day. If ya can, why not?

S and F!

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Star and flag. There are places that I know will be hostile to me but one of my favorite places in Portland is a total "redneck" dive bar, full of old, white Trumpkins.

Turned out to be a place I was totally comfortable in! The only "harassment" I got the first night there was this group of elderly people who thought I could read their fortunes, lol, and one lady followed me around to talk to her dead husband (though she said she knew it was a sin to consult me).

So, in other words, a transwoman walks into a MAGA bar... and only gets accused of witchcraft!

I decided that it was one of my new favorite places that night.

(post by WHWIV removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: WHWIV

? He is simply saying not everyone in America thinks like the people in major cities. Middle America is very chill. The little towns out of the way everyone knows everyone. The biggest news pieces we have here are what high school won the football game. Racism isn't rampant like the media would like you to believe. I mean I live 20 miles away from the town the KKK had one of the largest bases. Elwood. Now it is just a fact, and not a way of life. All races walk the streets freely without ridicule. Red gold was founded in Elwood and they hire people during the season from mexico to come up and work the fields. They have nothing to worry about.
edit on 25-8-2017 by Crumbles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
To the OP - we each learn at our own pace through experiences

To the replies in this thread - LMAO. Seriously!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Sick and tired of you taking time out of your day to log onto ATS and make up positive interactions you had with 'trumpkins!'

This....will not stand...!
edit on 25-8-2017 by JinMI because: Context

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

We all have days and experiences. Sorry, you are upset by an individual posting their own views.

Get over it.

As per the OP: I agree, a bit of friendship and love in life, can make the most upsetting place be great.
I hope we can all be the friendship, and not the upset.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: WHWIV

I work in the performing arts, if this was not a view of the individual; It is a view I see often.
No fantasy, no hallucination (unless my students are more apt than I know).

And no sarcasm from me, other than anything unintended.
Why should I address you when I haven't cared enough to remember any comments of yours?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: WHWIV
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

I read it as sarcasm, so you'd probably be better off addressing me. And it wasn't a view, it was a fantasy or at best a hallucination.

OP is spot on, no probs there. I'm just sick of special wonderful he/she/its/whatever virtue signalling in every other thread. Just get over yourself. My sexuality is not the core of my identity; why is it for you (the general you, in case someone's a moron)

It was On topic!!! Of a surprisingly pleasant experience at a known conservative bar with no judgment. Unlike what I'm getting from you.

And how does any of that make me sound "bad ass"? And virtue signaling??? For Trump supporters being accepting of a trans woman? Who am I signaling to? Trump supporters?

The kind of woman I am is at the very core of this thread with the concept of "stereotypically hated demographic not hated by a place full of conservatives.

And migendering me? YOU ARE WHY PEOPLE MAKE ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT CONSERVATIVES. Dumb ass.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Sick and tired of you taking time out of your day to log onto ATS and make up positive interactions you had with 'trumpkins!'

This....will not stand...!

Right?!

My Trump support is getting old, lol.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Good isht guy. Thanks for being you.

I find that if you bring ZERO preconceptions to bear that everyone can feel comfortable. Even a devil has a story.

That is what a gentleman does. He makes others feel comfortable.

edit on 8 25 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: WHWIV

I can tell you're not as astute as you presume to be. I meant JinMi was being sarcastic, as in supporting Abysha. I guess they don't teach reading comprehension in the performing arts.

Your students are probably more apt than you know. You remember the axiom "Those who cannot do, teach."? Yeah.

If what I commented on was not worth your caring, then why respond?

See, I do not teach. I am staff.
This was the first thread we have interacted, to my knowledge, hence my response. Specifically in regards to your response:
"I read it as sarcasm, so you'd probably be better off addressing me."
I addressed the individual I was responding to, but you thought it better I speak to you.
Why is that?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Isnt it the coolest. When you can go anywhere.

I am sure that YOU could hang there or anywhere.

Can you send a good intention my way? I will send back 3! I always need some.

Have a good one.
Hold it down.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I don't know how much more sarcasm I could slather on that post. I'll try harder.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join