It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats criticize Trump for ‘empty promises on border wall’

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It was a major campaign promise.

Of course they are going to pull him up on it, especially since he's threatening a government shut down if AMERICANS don't pay for it.

American politics makes a rock look smart by comparison.

Trump supporters are rocks, in a bag. It's labelled stupid.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Trump supporters are rocks, in a bag. It's labelled stupid

Pot meet kettle.

It was a major campaign promise.

And the point is ?

Trumps not the alpha and the omega.

There is that thing called congress where money comes from.

The House side of things.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254
Kudos to you for calling them out for this.
Not sure what their point is.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Pot meet kettle. 

I'm neither democrat or republican. I'm not even a US citizen.

There is that thing called congress where money comes from.

Yeah yeah... So Mexico isn't paying for it then?

It all seems a bit silly to me, from where I sit. More can be done by a little legislation. For instance, a means test. Restrict marriage to foreign nationals when the citizen earns less than say $25,000. You could tie visitors to your nation to wealth too.

I can visit Australia for a year (it might be two) if I can prove I have the finances to support myself until I find enough work. Many aspects exist that I won't get into but the point is the state won't be bankrolling your visit.

Loads can be done that's a damn sight cheaper than a wall. Things that would require a lot less finance.
edit on 23-8-2017 by RAY1990 because: Correction

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
building the wall would actually be a good thing for the dems, i'm surprised it took so long to actually start kicking this ball.

think about it, financially it's gonna bankrupt the nation and that's something to use next election, with the wall built will america become the utopia promised by trump with rapes and drugs stopping due to a lack of hispanics crossing over?
only the most ardent trump fan would accept no drop in crime after building the wall so more brownie points.

the labour party in my country are on board with brexit for the same reasons, it's gonna be a mess and the tories even now are blaming each other rather than labour for the impending clusterf.
the right wing media can't blame labour for opposing it and their ill feeling towards brexit causing it to fail.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: growler

The Republicans don't need the democrats to pass a budget or law. Funding the wall is the kind of bill they want someone else to blame for it's failure.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
a reply to: network dude

You do know how Mexicans get into the US don't you?

I know a Mexican, he's a US citizen now. He has been for a while, he didn't go swimming the Rio grande or hopping border fences.

You're either desperate or smuggling something if you go that route. A work visa, a visitors visa, sponsorship or even asylum seeking are much better and safer methods of entering the US.

Building a wall is retarded, anyone who thinks it would work are lacking too.

Honestly, the world doesn't work like that.

Ray, how much time have you spent on the border working with Border Patrol? They seem to have quite a few people coming in the way you just described them not doing. I suggest you research that a bit before you expound more on something that isn't quite right.

I don't know that a wall is the answer, but doing nothing is NOT the answer.

(post by network dude removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

OK now.......
this is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I don't see anything wrong with this.

The DNC is just kicking him while he's down and showing his supporters how full of crap he was with his stupid promises.

They know there is no way he can deliver on this promise, so they want to make sure to remind everyone that it was a major campaign promise of his.

Plus, with Trump already looking like a racist sympathizer...now isn't a great time for him to be pushing building a wall to keep the brown people out.
edit on 23-8-2017 by kruphix because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Thats why you build a DMZ and set i t up so its so deadly to cross its not worth it to do so. But we arent at war? OH but we are WIth drug dealers and terrorist trying to sneak in. (at least thats how I would justify it)

I just want to see it done to see peoples faces.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Typical idle banter by the Dim's,nothing subtle about a liberal,stupidity and ignorance is written all over them,either they don't realize it or they are that stupid

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Unless something fundamental changes in American politics, unless the DNC is cleared out and started again, with the REAL left at its core, not only the DNC but also America itself, will crumble to ash. And you know what? Unless it gets its act together, it deserves to.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

All Dems have to do is sit back and watch Trump rip apart the GOP. We don't even need much money for that.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

That is precisely what they must not do.

Sitting back quietly, while the Republican Party becomes a crapshow is the least effective use of this time. First of all, the DNC has an internal problem at the moment, with corporatists having penetrated its ranks. Those who are interested in business support more than the will of the regular citizen should not be permitted to work as part of the DNC, unless the DNC is happy with continuing to be as much of a part of the problem, as the RNC is. That problem needs solving. Centrist, corporatist goons need ejecting, if the DNC is to actually be an alternative of any note, to the corporatist owned RNC.

Second, the DNC is going to have to take a firm look at what the people of the country actually want for themselves. They are going to have to accept that most people, if told the truth about what the mass surveillance initiative ACTUALLY does, would want it ended and its initiators arrested and flogged in the street. They are going to have to come up with genuine solutions to a host of problems, relating to the way foreign policy is devised, and change fundamentally, the way government deals with "threats" from abroad, most notably, not reacting at all to any but actual standing militaries, and the REAL threat they pose, as opposed to the minimal and frankly laughable threat posed by idiots with frag vests, who, although scary and lethal in the immediate sense, are not capable of destroying a country overnight with bombing runs, nor with any kind of militarized invasion. Since militarized invasion, actual nuclear assault, or carpet bombing into ash are the only things that a decent country ought to be worried by (assuming it is not peopled by weak spined cretins of course), refusing to even acknowledge the "danger" posed by morons in a different continent, morons who pose very limited risk, and are in fact agents of the previous administrations (I used plural there, because they have been using these people and those like them for decades, all over the world) would seem a proper approach to the "problem" of terror... the DNC need to suggest that, because it is the only honest thing they could do.

They need to come out on a platform which admits to the world all the wrong that has been done by both parties, admits fault on the part of the US government over the preceding decades, for everything it has had a hand in that was not good (which is a great deal, by the way), name the private entities who helped fund that wrong doing, name the government members who pushed the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, promise their arrest and trial, sever all political and financial ties from America to Saudi Arabia and Qatar, ban any and all trade, money changing, or communication between private citizens and companies, and those countries, and actually lay the past to rest by total, frank, and painful amounts of honesty. They need to be honest with the people whose votes they are asking for, about what has been done in their name, and whose fault it is. They need to do this, because if they are not honest with the people, the people will not be able to trust them. They need to come out AGAINST the power of the state itself, and FOR the power of the people. They need to come out in protection of the internet as an international, not a nationally owned entity, by preventing any company from having any say in how data travels through it. They need to come out in defence of the people, by dismantling the surveillance culture and the police state.

They need to provide a substance to their position, and indeed to the quality of those who seek to represent the people under a Democrat banner, which demonstrates that there ARE clear differences between themselves and the Republicans, and not only differences, but differences which mean something positive. Differences like being able to promise that there are no racists in their party, that there are no corrupt members, that there are no members with a history of child abuse, or criminal behaviour in business, that all their members OVER pay their taxes and have never hidden a penny, even before their political careers began. They need to show that the people of the Democrat Party, are morally unassailable, legally solid, believe in the constitution more than they do in the security services, and are prepared to pay the price of increased risk to life, which comes of providing proper amounts of liberty and freedom to both themselves, and the people of the country.

If they fail to reinvent themselves thusly, nothing will change for the better, even if they produce a President later in history, because even if they do, it will mean nothing and achieve nothing good, unless the motivations of that individual and indeed the party besides, are ABSOLUTELY pure.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I disagree. I was a Bernie supporter originally. The feeling I get from my friends is the democrats are not ready to clean up this mess. There is no one to replace Bernie. I will vote in 2018 but will write in a candidate. The dems will lose again without that voting bloc. My personal idea is to let the Republicans do their damage and let the people decide.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I disagree. I was a Bernie supporter originally. The feeling I get from my friends is the democrats are not ready to clean up this mess. There is no one to replace Bernie. I will vote in 2018 but will write in a candidate. The dems will lose again without that voting bloc. My personal idea is to let the Republicans do their damage and let the people decide.

I mean 2020 for presidential candidate.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   

With respect, things being what they are even now, a relatively short time into the Trump presidency (or more properly, the Trump clusterbang), your country is already turning into a harrowing example of what happens when fascism is considered equal to liberation.

You cannot afford to sit back and watch, unless you want to watch your country burn down from the inside out, and if things continue as they are, unfortunately, not only is that the only likely result, but it is the only one which has any business happening. If you put your feet up and get the marshmallows out, there will be nothing worth saving when you next deem it wise to stand up and act. Every second between now and the end of Trumps first term, is absolutely critical, using each one wisely and proactively, is vital.

You have a fascist leader. Now is not the time for rest.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

We are a young country comparatively speaking. Maybe we need a living lesson about fascism.

Trump supporters will support him even if he committed murder. How do you over come that thought process? They do account for a large voting bloc still.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

No... No one NEEDS a living lesson about fascism, because the people who suffer the most during such a lesson, will automatically, by the very nature of the thing, be the most innocent of wrong doing, as it always has been, and will remain until heat death of the universe.

There are methods of overcoming the thought process you mention, and none of them require sitting back and doing nothing about it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join