It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Ever Image of a Far away Star's Surface Captured

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

And a digital camera requires light to capture an image, even if the light has been processed via software before storage on memory.

You just said the image isn't a photograph. And thats all I said.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

By the way, that 'image' of a star in the OP sucks.

Thanks for pointing that out intrptr, now your trolling of my thread makes sense.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Call them! Email them! Ask them about the image! Ask them what a picture is! Contact the dadgum experts! Mygawwwwwwwwd

Contacts
Keiichi Ohnaka
Instituto de Astronomía — Universidad Católica del Norte
Antofagasta, Chile
Tel: +56 55 235 5493
Email: [email protected]

Richard Hook
ESO Public Information Officer
Garching bei München, Germany
Tel: +49 89 3200 6655
Cell: +49 151 1537 3591
Email: [email protected]

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

No, no I did not. Not anywhere in what I wrote.

It was an open question mixed with sarcasm, I also just forgot to put a question mark in at the end.

Members did not troll you - you trolled when you were wrong, tried to back it up with even more wrong, and members responded to your posts.

Been watching your posts the last month and they keep increasing with troll content, like to the point you can see it in almost all of your posts, it's like the turbonium1 member who started off with the moon hoax, and is now doing it to everything else.

It's starting to look really deliberate when it keeps happening with nearly every post you do.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Back on topic of imaging the surfaces of stars,

Betelgeuse got imaged in a similar way (using an array of telescopes to increase resolution), giving us this image from the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA):

This orange blob shows the nearby star Betelgeuse, as seen by the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA). This is the first time that ALMA has ever observed the surface of a star and this first attempt has resulted in the highest-resolution image of Betelgeuse available.

[...]

The star has been observed in many other wavelengths, particularly in the visible, infrared, and ultraviolet. Using ESO’s Very Large Telescope astronomers discovered a vast plume of gas almost as large as our Solar System. Astronomers have also found a gigantic bubble that boils away on Betelgeuse’s surface. These features help to explain how the star is shedding gas and dust at tremendous rates (eso0927, eso1121). In this picture, ALMA observes the hot gas of the lower chromosphere of Betelgeuse at sub-millimeter wavelengths — where localised increased temperatures explain why it is not symmetric. Scientifically, ALMA can help us to understand the extended atmospheres of these hot, blazing stars.

www.eso.org...

Now, i wonder if ESO's VLT can get a similar level of detail out of Betelgeuse as it did out of Antares.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

It kind of makes you think, doesn't it..? This is what's being shown & hailed as a major scientific coup - but by this token, we should be able to see far more exciting levels of detail using similar processes on stars which are ten times closer than Antares.

So why aren't we being shown those images with great fanfare & applause?

I suspect, it's got something to do with the same old, same old - maintaining astronomy & space exploration as a dull, fuzzy image, far-too-technical-to be-cool, archaic dinosaur of an academic discipline, which is only interesting to nerds & not to generalists or the general public at large. Same reason we don't see the higher resolution Moon & solar system images which have obviously been available for a very long time. Same reason NASA cuts the feeds so often. Same reason the astronauts come back looking all doped out during interviews.

'National Security'. (We don't want to share, because it might break you, and you're our prized worker bees).

Yeah.. Quasars are so dull as to be a footnote. Except their processes aren't adequately resolved by the current 'cover' explanations. As seems to be the situation with multiple astronomically improbable (literally) phenomena.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I like your sucky picture, thanks for posting.

I would be curious to see if they can image a closer star, Proxima perhaps, so we can get a nice close up of our neighbor. It will be interesting to see how the technology progresses, where we once couldn't see detail on the planets in our own system and now we have vivid photos, I think shortly imaging other stars will not be a challenge either.

edit on 25-8-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Dudemo5

By the way, your definition of photograph (if you even have one) sucks the light craptastic.

By the way, that 'image' of a star in the OP sucks.

It's a very nice digital composite photograph.

Awwwwwwwww yeah, son.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Dudemo5

It's a very nice digital composite photograph.

Its a blur, the stars disk isn't even circular.

Must be noise...

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Looks fake to me........

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Betelgeuse is a better target to image - it's a red super giant, while Proxima is a very much smaller red dwarf, binary system barely as luminous as our own Sun.

Start big to practice then fine tune it to smaller less luminous targets.

Closer is not always better, the stellar sizes between the 2 are enormous.

Edit: Explanation wasn't really meant for you, to the others asking why not take an image of a star closer to Earth.
edit on 25-8-2017 by MuonToGluon because: Added + Fixed

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

Looks fake to me........

Real enough... the result of all that 'imaging' didn't produce much useable data. But they can't admit that, they need more money.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Real enough... the result of all that 'imaging' didn't produce much useable data. But they can't admit that, they need more money.

Could you tell the crowd how they could image Stellar objects better, clearer, more detailed with better data so they can plan what to do with extra funding in the future?

I, and I am quite sure, the rest of the crowd would very much appreciate to know what type of technologies we could construct and upgrade to do that very job.

You say many words, but the words often have no substance to them.

PS, the ESO has plenty of funding.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: MuonToGluon

Could you tell the crowd how they could image Stellar objects better, clearer, more detailed with better data so they can plan what to do with extra funding in the future?

I, and I am quite sure, the rest of the crowd would very much appreciate to know what type of technologies we could construct and upgrade to do that very job.

You say many words, but the words often have no meaning to them.

Two words, James Webb.

They will mostly waste that valuable resource too looking for planets around other stars. Tiny dots around tiny dots we will never get to see any closer or visit. Its the current rage...

by the by, many more interesting pics of suns and their planets exist out there, making the image in the OP not 'by far the best'.

For instance...

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I know that, I mention the JWT quite a bit.

However...Extremely Large Telescope doesn't seem to match your BS narrative of them wanting more money.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

The industrial space complex pleading more money is not 'my narrative', nor BS.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

The industrial space complex pleading more money is not 'my narrative', nor BS.

Yes, it is.

You keep saying that the image is not good enough and does not have enough data, you are talking about the ESO who made that image, you have not mentioned the entire Space Industry once.

Now you are expanding it and including every Institute and Organization in the world, who's whole goal is to receive money to do that very job.

Good good, do your thing.

Trashing a thread over a word you don't know the actual definition of, all good.

While I don't support your trolling spree, I respect your continued right to be a troll and be wrong in the future.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

You keep saying that the image is not good enough and does not have enough data, you are talking about the ESO who made that image.

Just the image.

I respect your right to twist my opinion to your agenda, too.

Been watching them keep their secrets and release crap to the public lots longer than you.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

That is nice you have watched it longer, it makes sense why you are so bitter all the time.

I'm glad that in just a couple of months that I can read, watch and view all of the same that you have seen in your life in digital and in offline library form to see what you have seen also without having to be bitter over it.

I'm sorry you have lived your life with disappointed, maybe one day you can enjoy your lawn.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Plenty of space I've enjoyed exploring, Voyager(s) Mars Rovers, Hubble, certain earth based telescopes. I grew up with the race to space.

I might even include moon landings because I witnessed it, live. Imo,to me sending personnel is a waste of resources.

I will enjoy the James Webb, too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join