It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Graham Hancock Archaeological Evidence of Advanced Civilizations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
So, I've got a new video game addiction on the PS4 called Elite Dangerous. Fantastic space trading and combat game! Part of this, is that I've taken to playing youtube vids on my laptop next to me which makes the overall experience pretty damned cool.

I've been hopping around, watching a whole bunch of different things. Then, I saw this one today. I am not previously knowledgeable on Graham Hancock, or of his reputation. But, I thought the subject matter of vast similarities between early culture and architecture was really very interesting.

However, what truly spurred my contemplation was a rather brilliant notion he conveyed at the end of the lecture.

He mentioned that in our modern culture we have become silo'd. We are mostly specialized in our fields of expertise, and precious little else. He said that should an apocalyptic event occur, those of us who made it through the event would be unlikely to be able to survive on the whole and continue to perpetuate our culture. This is because we do not know the basics of survival. Fishing. Hunting. Planting. How to build shelters effectively. How to get or purify water.

Then he showed a photo of a distant tribe of indigenous people of the amazon who's only contact with western culture is occasionally seeing an airplane soaring overhead. He said that these were the people who would move forward with culture, with great stories of ancient cultures (us) that were all god like. We were even able to fly!

This immediately resonated with me. We've been arrogant with our advances. As it stands today, almost nothing of importance for survival skills or our culture is even documented in a manner that would not disintegrate over time (such as books) or require our currently existing technology to access the information (electronic data on computers and computer networks). As an IT professional, I've often thought this was ridiculous. We are essentially sealing our own fate to become lost and forgotten in time as the ages pass.

Here's the video of his lecture....

Think about it.

edit on 22-8-2017 by FHomerK because: gahhh!

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

What a great topic.My wife is a big fan of his & has many of his books.s&f

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
He's a good writer.
Interesting stuff...read him years ago.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

He mentioned that in our modern culture we have become silo'd. We are mostly specialized in our fields of expertise, and precious little else. He said that should an apocalyptic event occur, those of us who made it through the event would be unlikely to be able to survive on the whole and continue to perpetuate our culture. This is because we do not know the basics of survival. Fishing. Hunting. Planting. How to build shelters effectively. How to get or purify water.

I've watched atleast 100 episodes of Bear Grylls, I think I'll do just fine...

How to get or purify water.

There's a solution for every problem my friend.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I love graham hancock. I found ats after reading Fingerprints of the Gods and Supernatural.

he wrote Supernatural after losing his father... I jumped down the rabbit hole after losing my son.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: EveryUsernameWasTaken

I live in a very remote area & hope that I could survive as well.What I find scary are the urban masses that do not have the survival skills you & I might have.There would be an influx of uneducated people flocking to remote places because of no choice.This would not be good.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
he wrote Entangled after drinking ayahuasca tea (dmt).

apparently, the whole story came to him while he was tripping.. it's his only fiction novel I believe, and super freaky.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I didn't know his name but I've ran into his work 2-3 times. I can't say if he is well informed but he does give off an impression of brilliance.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Graham Hancock is DA MAN!!! Love his work.

However, there are pockets of people in the United States, deep in the Appalachians and up in northern mountain areas of the west who will do just fine. They live without water, electricity, and only go into town once a year for sugar and things to make moonshine with.

Most people will have to band together and use their particular area of expertise in order to survive.

These are country people, though. The city people will have immediate panic because they rely on stores and municipal services to survive, and realizing there is no electricity, no phone, no internet, and no water, will have a meltdown and kill their neighbor to get stuff they need. That'll be over with in a few weeks, and from there.....the roving gangs will go from place to place, stealing and killing.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Not all of have let our primitive skillsets fade away,check out this cat.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ericendtimes

He didn't say that we wouldn't survive he said that we wouldn't be able to survive and support our culture. Our advanced tech, our knowledge, would likely all be lost.

Jaden

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Watched a few times as he chokes down a single bug here and there
Not sure he would survive without the trailer full of helpers following him around and fixing his dinner after the bug scenes.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

They live without water, electricity, and only go into town once a year for sugar and things to make moonshine with.

Wow, really no water?

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
People are basic survivors .Some more graceful then others but survivors . Primitive survivors make do with whats around .Don't have a hammer find a stone . People live much shorter lives in that kind of environment but would waist less time watching TV or playing vid games :>) The people that learn very quickly that loving your neighbor would be the best policy will make a better easier time of it .

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
On the one hand, he's right that if there was an apocalypse, we wouldn't survive as our current culture.
You'd have to be an idiot not to see that.

On the other hand, he only tells lies, mischaracterizations, and half truths when he tries to convince the chronically astonished that he has any evidence at all of ancient advanced but unknown civilizations.

On balance, then, he's basically a con man, though not as bad as several others I could name.

Harte

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Watched a few times as he chokes down a single bug here and there
Not sure he would survive without the trailer full of helpers following him around and fixing his dinner after the bug scenes.

It's a "how to" show, not a "watch me try not to die" show.

Harte

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: FissionSurplus
... from there.....the roving gangs will go from place to place, stealing and killing.

I think they'll be killed as soon as they present themselves.

Personal to Harte: You so jealous.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This is a good reason to take your kids into the woods and teach them how to hunt and fish. Teach them how to clean and cook their kills. Teach them simple survival skills such as shelter building, fire starting, and boiling water. Not only will you be teaching them about nature but it's a great bonding experience.

My 9 year old daughter can field clean a deer. She's accurate with her bow out to 30 yards and a better riflle shot than some of the men at our deer camp. The best part is she actually enjoys it. Haven't started on the "survival" aspect but I will in time. I think it's just different here in the South. I know most people don't have these opportunities with their children. I've been blessed.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

We need to make "georgia guidestones" of our own with the basic info for things like making steel, electricity, treating water, sewage, how engines work, and basic survival like edible plants, easy to farm plants, animal husbandry, farming, irrigation, building shelters...

But dont give all the knowledge to any one guidestone. Give them what they need to survive and flourish, but to advance, they must work together to find all the pieces to each puzzle, for the big puzzles, like aviation, and stuff? We could make it like a big game of survivor, all televised, live feed 24/7, each team has their own channel. Divide by skin color. As in, each team uses the principles of Affirmative Action. Lol i dunno...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

its funny the responses in this thread almost all of which miss the mark on what was said. Some are focusing on Graham Hancock. Some on Ancient civilizations. Some on survival.

No Our CULTURE has no way of surviving. Only stories would remain and in one generation your kids are hearing about buildings and ekectricity without ever turning on a light. "Back in my day we were magic." basically.. That won't translate well to ywo or three generations.

The gods will be long dead by then.. Some notion of a Golden Age will remain. Some will tell stories of gods.

Anyway, can you imagine being reincarnated and finding some piece of a car in the jungle and having dejavu.. Like "I know what this is its an engine block."
but having no clue how you know this now you are a shaman or something haha..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join