It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving On From Civil War Statues, Leftists Destroy Christopher Columbus Monument

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite

Because we--for lack of better term--invaded and ignored the pleas of the native americans. We're responsible for the deaths of untold numbers of them, mostly from european pathogens, but there's little doubt we were guilty of crimes against humanity.

What the hell do you mean by 'WE"? The British? The
French? The Dutch? The Spanish? All of the countries that came to the Americas seeking riches, fame, and glory for their countries?

"WE"...

Show me a country that doesn't have a dark past. Show me that utopian nation that exists or has existed in the past. This horse has been beaten to death over and over again. The USA is evil and everyone else is great. Okay fine, if you believe what you're saying, the moral thing to do is move so you never have to refer to yourself as a "WE" again.

I for one have never been to war with Native Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans, or any other Americans. To my knowledge, I've committed no crimes to humanity so please don't lump me in with "WE".

I'm not a social justice warrior and I don't feel responsible for what others did in the past as I had no affiliation with them. My conscience is clear.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Its a crime with a 10 year sentence. They shouldn't count on laws being ignored forever.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

People need to be patient and let these 2nd place trophies be moved to museums.

If we want monuments that represent history, personally, I think they should acknowledge the ugliness of slavery and celebrate the slave that became free.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
If this is allowed to keep happening, all the statues around the country will wind up being destroyed or hauled from our view. What is happening to the people in this country, these statues represent our history.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
From a Native American's own lips,

As a Cherokee, I can attest to the fact that Native Americans have been on the losing side of history. Our rights have been infringed upon, our treaties have been broken, our culture has been stolen, and our tribes have been decimated at the hands of our own United States government. Native Americans have faced centuries of atrocities to their people, their land, and their culture – all under various presidents who took an oath of office to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.

So, this man a valid right to protest statues of President Andrew Jackson, President Franklin Pierce, President Abraham Lincoln, President Grover Cleveland, and even President Theodore Roosevelt. All of which were directly responsible for the systemic displacement and outright genocidal killing of the Native American people. His family suffered, directly under all of those administrations. Yet, he has the honor to face that and make these statements about our scarred history and the monuments the nation (and private sector) had erected.

The removal of these statues merely attempts to disguise our ugly scars by hiding these statues out of plain sight. In an imperfect world, full of imperfect leaders, there are countless statues that may not live up to our American values. The statues of President Jackson and President Lincoln, both fervent oppressors of Native Americans, stand tall in the rotunda of the U.S. Capitol. Still, these statues tell the history of the good and the bad of our nation.

And this quote, which is my favorite of all......

When we censor our history by disguising our scars, we belittle this process and the struggles our ancestors fought so hard to overcome. America doesn't cower behind political correctness. It defiantly and courageously moves forward, with its history as a reminder of where we have been. Let us look boldly into our history and learn the lessons that made us the “shining city on the hill” and the example for all other peoples.

Source of the quotes

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

It is my understanding that a lot of Native tribes, did not understand the full scope of the treaties.
I for one would like to know the specifics of the frustration of this individual, for all of these wrongs.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

People need to be patient and let these 2nd place trophies be moved to museums.

If we want monuments that represent history, personally, I think they should acknowledge the ugliness of slavery and celebrate the slave that became free.

Pay attention to the stars your post I'm responding to gets. For posterity.

Middle-of-the-road opinions haven't sold well in media nor in personal debates.

Confirmation bias only wants one thing and that thing needs to be in exclusion of the other things.

ATS is a microcosm of that sad reality.
edit on 21-8-2017 by Abysha because: Goddamn me...

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

But they're not trying to erase history, right?

It is impossible to erase his history when all of columbus history , when his real
history not the bs that statue was probably about , is literally at your finger tips.

How can taking down or moving a statue erase all the information about a person from the internet?
How can taking down his statue destroy all the books about him?

People are way over-dramatic about these statues.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Seriously WTF! This BS has got to stop, like yesterday.

edit on 22-8-2017 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Next stop,

Hope this madness doesn't occur in Aussie'

bally

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Strange how the radical left, who apparently want statues destroyed because they represent evil, are not targeting any of the Lenin statues in the US. I guess he must a be a hero who fought the good fight. Maybe more Bolshevik statues need to go up so America can be 'properly' represented in historical art, eh?

edit on 22/8/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:59 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Someone mentioned "Lenin" statues above ... which is really funny coming from the "right" ... you know, especially since we've all recently learned that RUSSIA IS NOT OUR ENEMY, not to mention the thousands of Americans of Russian descent who would be properly incensed if we tried to erase a vital part of their own culture and heritage.
edit on 22-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Why destroy history< what difference does it really make. the schools do not teach the truth about slavery or history for that matter

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: whistleblowernow

Why destroy history< what difference does it really make. the schools do not teach the truth about slavery or history for that matter

Can you tell us some of the truth about slavery and history then?

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I mean technically there isn't a single redeemable thing I can think of that Christopher Columbus did. Why do we honor him anyways?

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Someone mentioned "Lenin" statues above ... which is really funny coming from the "right" ... you know, especially since we've all recently learned that RUSSIA IS NOT OUR ENEMY, not to mention the thousands of Americans of Russian dissent who would be properly incensed if we tried to erase a vital part of their own culture and heritage.

Lenin no longer rules over Russia. He's quite dead, you know. A lot has happened since then.

Just like Japan are no longer America's enemy either - but I suspect they were enemy #1 just after Pearl Harbour.
Basically your point was bunk.

Oh, and it's 'descent', not dissent.
I am sure Russian descendants would be upset if someone was trying to destroy their culture.

edit on 22/8/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

LOL ... thank you, already caught the malapropism above.

I'm sure you're in favor of Lenin's statues though ... part of history and a part of many people's heritage, right?

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Lobbying of FDR by the Catholic group "Knights of Columbus" got Chris a holiday in 1937.

Aside from that, I think his other claim to fame was bringing slavery to the Americas.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: UKTruth

LOL ... thank you, already caught the malapropism above.

I'm sure you're in favor of Lenin's statues though ... part of history and a part of many people's heritage, right?

Yes I am in favour of keeping them.
The main problem is that some hate groups like the KKK, Neo Nazi's and Antifa want to selectively purge others' histories and cultures. KKK and Neo Nazi's are an insignificant and tiny minority of fools, but the big problem seems to be Antifa. I'd put them up with ISIS and radical Islam as the biggest threats right now.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join