It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat earth theory?

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

No, it's not the simplest way, the simplest ways have already been shown to you and you scoff at them. You apparently won't accept any answer other than flat Earth is real. So zero point in talking to you.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Have your eyes never been fooled by an optical illusion?

Tooo funny, I knew this would be your next play.

What optical illusions are you talking about that has any relevance and that is somehow in agreement even though its an illusion with the flat earth idea?

Have your ears never told you that you just heard a certain sound, that ended-up being some different sound? Are any of our senses, absolutely perfect? If no: then how to trust an observation?

with simple reason and logic.

Its amazing how much your mind can calculate in a moment.

Understanding how reality works allows you to know when you are observing an illusions and when not.

You make it sound like one cannot gain knowledge , maybe for you this is the case for you but for others curiosity takes over and once they see an illusions they become curious as to how it works and they........ wait for it.......

......learn and educate themselves and gain a better understanding about whatever it is they interests them.

IN this case its how do illusions work how do our eye and ears trick us at times.

Anyone can read or gain more more knowledge about themselves and how their own perception can be manipulated and tricked.

If we can accept that "...a belief is very vague, it can be formed with no reason whatsoever or with very convincing reason...", can we agree that we are still talking about a belief, and not any kind of truth?

I can accept it, its my own personal view and opinion I posted.

You asked this of another poster

Ok: so you have admitted to sometimes accepting NASA. How is that not a belief?

I just pointed out how acceptance requires a little more than belief.

Yes a belief can have a convincing backing and argument to make it reality but it doesn't need reason and logic and can also be formed with simple imagination based off nothing but what you make up in your head.

To agree or accept what NASA or any other entity has to say that is scientific can be looked at with reason and if there is reason to accept like the the math shown to explain something works out then you can accept and agree.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
North pole sunlight : another falsification of flat earth proponent claims
The absurdities and contractions inherent in flat earth beliefs – are both mind boggling and tedious to wade through
But, It is an almost universal canard of flat earth proponents that “somehow “the track of the sun above their fantasy “ flat plane “ magically “ shifts “ – thusly on :
The winter solstice – it orbits above the tropic of Capricorn
On both the vernal and autumnal equinoxes – its above the equator
And on the summer solstice – its above the tropic of cancer
How this movement is achieved – is never explained – but that’s a topic for another thread
And further day and night are somehow achieved by some “ magic “ perspective // vanishing point hand waving – that in itself makes zero sense either
But the north pole – utterly demolishes the nonsense
as pretty much all flat earth proponent – actually do accept the realities of the observed night / day patterns at the north pole
I.e. – total darkness on the winter solstice, constant daylight on summer solstice – and 12h day // night on the equinoxes
[ their “ explanations “for phenomena observed in Antarctica – involves mind numbing idiocy – that’s – you guess – a topic for another thread ]
Now this is where the flat earth claim utterly falls apart
For a viewer at the EXACT true north pole [ with Polaris directly over head ] – the sun is ALWAYS the same distance away [ according to flat earth ”logic “ ]
So explain day and night at the true north pole ??????????????????
[ from a flat earth cosmology ]

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Arguing with FE's is like trying to weave yoghurt or herd cats. I wonder how many FE's on here actually do believe this nonsense and how many are just trying to wind us up.

I mean, I'd like to think that in this day and age no one can be so gullible or wilfully ignorant to believe this sort of stuff but going by the comments on Youtube videos there are actually people out there that really are that dumb.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

i has - for the most part abandoned the notion of direct engagement with individual flat earth proponents

they simply either run away - or desenend to evasivve dishonestry so fast - its distressingly predictable

posts like the above - are must my mental exercise - i will collect them all - so i can just copy paste a counterpoint

into any thread - and create a new post - only if needed

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Good luck!

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

FE posts are my favorite genre of insanity posts on r/insanepeoplefacebook

I think a close second would be anti-vaxx posts or mlm posts.

ETA: I speak and the subreddit delivers - Insane flat earther parent pulls child from therapy, and calls aliens demons.

It's tough to beat that level of crazy. The lady says she doesn't believe in space.
edit on 4-9-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

it was a joke do you always take every comment so personally ?

Here's my question. Do you believe the earth is flat or spheroid ?

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

ME threads are right up there, too. What's mlm, then?

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

i ASSUME that MLM = multi level marketing

the infamous pyramid selling scams

i cannot be arsed searching his posts to find out who he torments in other threads

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

ME threads are right up there, too.

I've been seeing a rise in incel posts actually. Those can be funny but many times they are depressing or even terrifying with the crap they say.

What's mlm, then?

As ignorant_ape said, they are multi-level marketing companies. Which is just a nice way of saying "quasi-legal pyramid scheme".
edit on 4-9-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

So NASA may sometimes lie, but other countries and governments, wouldn't?
If 5, 10, one thousand, or any number of folks claim to observe something, does that make it true?

Yet you believe something no-one has ever seen? All you need is a protractor, some string, a small weight, and some transportation and you can actually observe the Earth's curvature. I dare you: put up or shut up.

What would that be?

Are those items supposed to be able to prove something?
What if one doesn't fulfill that grocery list, those limitations?

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

No, it's not the simplest way, the simplest ways have already been shown to you and you scoff at them. You apparently won't accept any answer other than flat Earth is real. So zero point in talking to you.

Scoffing you say!

So your inability to prove that the earth is sperical, leads you to conclude that "...You apparently won't accept any answer other than flat Earth is real..."?

We're supposed to just accept, that an inability to fly a plane, has exhausted your best efforts?

Can you not find one simple way to observe, that elimates tools and instruments, possibly faulty measurements, potential different interpretations, conditions, limitations, or any other potentially fallible thing?

Why can you not eliminate these things, and reduce your presentation?
You know: like Occam's razor suggests?

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

Have your eyes never been fooled by an optical illusion?

Tooo funny, I knew this would be your next play.

What optical illusions are you talking about that has any relevance and that is somehow in agreement even though its an illusion with the flat earth idea?

Have your ears never told you that you just heard a certain sound, that ended-up being some different sound? Are any of our senses, absolutely perfect? If no: then how to trust an observation?

with simple reason and logic.

Its amazing how much your mind can calculate in a moment.

Understanding how reality works allows you to know when you are observing an illusions and when not.

You make it sound like one cannot gain knowledge , maybe for you this is the case for you but for others curiosity takes over and once they see an illusions they become curious as to how it works and they........ wait for it.......

......learn and educate themselves and gain a better understanding about whatever it is they interests them.

IN this case its how do illusions work how do our eye and ears trick us at times.

Anyone can read or gain more more knowledge about themselves and how their own perception can be manipulated and tricked.

If we can accept that "...a belief is very vague, it can be formed with no reason whatsoever or with very convincing reason...", can we agree that we are still talking about a belief, and not any kind of truth?

I can accept it, its my own personal view and opinion I posted.

You asked this of another poster

Ok: so you have admitted to sometimes accepting NASA. How is that not a belief?

I just pointed out how acceptance requires a little more than belief.

Yes a belief can have a convincing backing and argument to make it reality but it doesn't need reason and logic and can also be formed with simple imagination based off nothing but what you make up in your head.

To agree or accept what NASA or any other entity has to say that is scientific can be looked at with reason and if there is reason to accept like the the math shown to explain something works out then you can accept and agree.

From your sig: "Our Perceptions become our reality via the choices we make.".

Are we not here in this thread trying to examine what these perceptions are, that lead to our supposed reality?

If we find any fault in these perceptions, Illusion or other, may we not doubt that supposed reality?

We have agreed that what we are discussing are opinions.
Do opinions not arise from perceptions?
What opinion could one hold, that is not a belief?
Is a belief equal to truth?

If our reality is based-upon our perceptions, and our perceptions and senses are fallible,
Can we not see that our reality might also be flawed?

"...I knew this would be your next play...."
Thinking we 'know' what will happen next, is an ego-trap.
At best: it was a guess.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
North pole sunlight : another falsification of flat earth proponent claims
The absurdities and contractions inherent in flat earth beliefs – are both mind boggling and tedious to wade through
But, It is an almost universal canard of flat earth proponents that “somehow “the track of the sun above their fantasy “ flat plane “ magically “ shifts “ – thusly on :
The winter solstice – it orbits above the tropic of Capricorn
On both the vernal and autumnal equinoxes – its above the equator
And on the summer solstice – its above the tropic of cancer
How this movement is achieved – is never explained – but that’s a topic for another thread
And further day and night are somehow achieved by some “ magic “ perspective // vanishing point hand waving – that in itself makes zero sense either
But the north pole – utterly demolishes the nonsense
as pretty much all flat earth proponent – actually do accept the realities of the observed night / day patterns at the north pole
I.e. – total darkness on the winter solstice, constant daylight on summer solstice – and 12h day // night on the equinoxes
[ their “ explanations “for phenomena observed in Antarctica – involves mind numbing idiocy – that’s – you guess – a topic for another thread ]
Now this is where the flat earth claim utterly falls apart
For a viewer at the EXACT true north pole [ with Polaris directly over head ] – the sun is ALWAYS the same distance away [ according to flat earth ”logic “ ]
So explain day and night at the true north pole ??????????????????
[ from a flat earth cosmology ]

So far in this thread, you have made about 29 posts.
In about 11 of those, you have made claims as to what FE theory is, and what FE theorists belive in.
You even posted an FE map in one of those 11.
You have also created at least one thread, full of FE claims seen from your view.

So: do you think you are some kind of FE expert?
How do you claim to know so much about FE?

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: 14377

it was a joke do you always take every comment so personally ?

Here's my question. Do you believe the earth is flat or spheroid ?

Your claims were challenged, and questions asked of you.
Zero answers have you offered.
You have responded approx.12 times since, and still keep being evasive.

Am beginning to catch the jist of your joke, perhaps.
Evasiveness; changing the goalposts; changing the subject; ego-poking; misdirection...etc.
And just never, ever, responding in any matter that could be considered honest.

Have seen this type of behavior a few times here on ATS, and it ain't pretty.

Well: at least you seem to think you are a master FE debunker. (From your earlier claims).
Perhaps that delusion is a soft pillow, that helps you sleep at night?

Good day.
'And in case I don't see ya: good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight'.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Can you not find one simple way to observe, that elimates tools and instruments, possibly faulty measurements, potential different interpretations, conditions, limitations, or any other potentially fallible thing?

Well, that's utter bollox, obviously, but you can have - Polaris?

So we cannot trust tools and instruments etc? I hope that you do not work on engineering projects!

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Our perceptions are tools with which we make observations about the world around us !

with those observations and measurements ,we understand the world around us , and when the majority of humans observe the same thing ,we realise that we are all witnessing the same phenomenon so it must be truth!
otherwise we are all equally deluded

but now you call into question the validity of our own instrumentation , which have been once again checked and measured by humans the world over and came to a consensus and universal standards are set.

SO we cant trust our measuring instruments now ?

the same instruments that were key to the development of the machine you are using to debate the flat earth !

here is an idea, you goto somewhere extremely flat and long and do the horizon experiment with me whilst I do it in Scotland , you do it where you are and we will compare our results , you know like scientists !

How about it ?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Ignorance disguised as philosophy does not make it philosophical and it remains ignorance.

Despite what some may say, there are indeed stupid questions.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

originally posted by: DJW001

So NASA may sometimes lie, but other countries and governments, wouldn't?
If 5, 10, one thousand, or any number of folks claim to observe something, does that make it true?

Yet you believe something no-one has ever seen? All you need is a protractor, some string, a small weight, and some transportation and you can actually observe the Earth's curvature. I dare you: put up or shut up.

What would that be?

Are those items supposed to be able to prove something?
What if one doesn't fulfill that grocery list, those limitations?

Total lack of curiosity. Sad.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join