It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat earth theory?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

Some of them just seem to think that taking a spirit level on board a plane is proof!

Dip into the rest of his channel. Completely pointless trying to engage with him as he will just remove or edit comments out.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawaiiLean420

I dont believe in flat earth, but I've got a feeling that we cant know for sure untill we see it with our own eyes

In decades to come the private space companies are going to be offering orbital flights along with the sub-orbitals. I bet that all the current prominent and very vocal flat earth believers would turn down a flight even if it was offered to them or someone offered to pay? No doubt they would claim that they had been drugged/hypnotized, etc. Imagine an orbital flight with a whole group of prominent flat earthers? It would be fun to watch!
My guess is that none of the "leading flat earthers" would take such a flight. They have too much to lose. The die-hards in the flat earth community would round on them if they came back from on orbital flight and declared that they had been proven wrong. It is a mindset that you will never conquer.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: tommyjo

You can also go to Russia and take a MiG flight high enough to clearly see the curvature.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: anticitizen

So you have no comment on flights that exists and are impossible on FE? We have no flights anywhere it's not economical to have flights.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Sorry you're missing the point dear Green substitute for meat.

so .. how to do carefull observation in a jungle ? Nasa may be right. But how on earth did the mbote know the earth was round ? His whole tribe called him a lair. I've seen Nasa redshifting mars images many times. The earth globe from the 70''s looks different from the current 'version'.. All stitched together with photoshop glue and arrogance on top me guess . Look I strongly believe the earth is round , but I've never been in space to see it for myself. It's my choice that I rather believe a Mbote from deep in the forest equatorial than the NASA. Nasa can say whatever it will , too many questionable things happened in the past they have lost my trust. I'm not a flatearther thanks to a Mbote that convinced me that the earth was round. The irony (and that was the reason why I reacted ) is that that Mbote is ridiculed by Flat earth in the way round earthers ridicule flat earthers here on the net .

Think about it ... if we were to live in a simulation FE vs RE is academic (earth could be a 2d modalic plane), but that's a different story.
Greetings

edit on 8222017 by frenchfries because: (no reason given)

edit on 8222017 by frenchfries because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries

Sorry you're missing the point dear Green substitute for meat.

so .. how to do carefull observation in a jungle ? Nasa may be right. But how on earth did the mbote know the earth was round ? His whole tribe called him a lair. I've seen Nasa redshifting mars images many times. The earth globe from the 70''s looks different from the current 'version'.. All stitched together with photoshop glue and arrogance on top me guess . Look I strongly believe the earth is round , but I've never been in space to see it for myself. It's my choice that I rather believe a Mbote from deep in the forest equatorial than the NASA. Nasa can say whatever it will , too many questionable things happened in the past they have lost my trust. I'm not a flatearther thanks to a Mbote that convinced me that the earth was round. The irony (and that was the reason why I reacted ) is that that Mbote is ridiculed by Flat earth in the way round earthers ridicule flat earthers here on the net .

Think about it ... if we were to live in a simulation FE vs RE is academic (earth could be a 2d modalic plane), but that's a different story.
Greetings

Can't Mbote watch the sun rise and the sun set over the horizon while noticing that the apparent size of the Sun virtually stays the same throughout the day (i.e., the Sun is not simply moving away from us as nighttime approaches).

Can't Mbote see the shape of the shadow the Earth casts on the Moon during a lunar eclipse? Of course he would need to figure out/understand what a Lunar eclipse is, but there is nothing preventing him from figuring out and understanding that, even in the jungle.

Can't Mbote put a stake in the ground in a clearing in his part of the jungle and study the shadow throughout the day -- while a friend in another village (say a two-day walk from his home village) does the same on the same day -- and then Mbote and his friend compare their observations?

I mean, what did Eratosthenes have in Ancient Greece that Mbote doesn't have in his jungle?

edit on 22/8/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Eratosthenes only used a stick and measured it's shadow in Athens and then in Egypt.. He calculated pretty accurately in that way the diameter and circumference of the Earth.

''I mean, what did Eratosthenes have in Ancient Greece that Mbote doesn't have in his jungle?''

But
Eratosthenes had advanced culture, advanced society, education and numerous works available by Pythagoras, Aristoteles, and many others that also believed in a spherical Earth. Together with countless books of ancient knowledge and early sciences, mathematics and cosmology and philosophy that sadly now 99% of those are lost forever due to christians...
Greeks were he first to create the scientific method and that was also an inevitable outcome of their philosophy and nature worshiping undogmatic pagan''religion'' and logical cosmological understanding.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Easy answer , Somehow I don't think you ever spoke with an Mbote or were in the jungle.

Well of cause you're right what Erathosthenes did can do mbote too. But there are differences , they are practical people that have to survive in the deep jungle. Surviving is a daytime job , you don't go around watching the sun. Also their intellect is quite different from ours (yes I'm being racist here but's a fact they are genuine primitive people). Reasoning is based on practical insights not abstract Ideas.

Comparing Eratosthenes (makes one sound educated doesn't it) with Mbote and saying they can do the same is a bit far fetched , too simple and too academic. I mean For them it's like building a time machine , well they have posibilities in theory , but in real live they stick to their simple Flatearth live.

Note :

You talk about comparing with a friend , well that Mbote that saw the earth was round , didn't had any friends he was an outcast do you really think tribesmen would help him with proving his insane Idea of 'the earth is like a pot' .

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Wow cant believe that video

why are people so convinced

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr1Akula

a reply to: frenchfries

I think we are underestimating the ability for one human's mind to be clever enough to figure out the earth is spherical through observation of the world around him -- whether that one human has years of written knowledge at his/her disposal (like the ancient Greeks had), or if they only have oral knowledge/wisdom passed down (like a jungle tribe may have).

Heck, it actually doesn't require any prior knowledge "passed down" at all to be able to have a stroke of genius to read the clues that the Earth is a sphere.

..And it certainly doesn't require NASA's input, which is my original point in responding to this:

originally posted by: frenchfries

It's my choice that I rather believe a Mbote from deep in the forest equatorial than the NASA. Nasa can say whatever it will , too many questionable things happened in the past they have lost my trust

The bottom line is that the reason I believe the Earth is round has very little to do with "because that what NASA tells us to believe", or "because that's what they taught us in school". Maybe when I was younger it was simply because "I was told it was so", but there are ways for anyone to independently figure out for themselves that Earth is a spheroid, whether or not anyone ever told them it was.

And granted, for Mbote (and I'm speaking of a metaphorical "Mbote") to be the first in his culture to figure out that the Earth is a spheroid would take a stroke of genius out-of-the-box thinking by him to even CONSIDER it in the first place, but Mbote has a human mind, and the human mind is clever enough to figure it out. In addition, the ability for other of Mbote's people to understand that the observational evidence telling us that Earth is a sphere does not require any particular genius that they don't possess (just like any normal human mind).

edit on 23/8/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: tommyjo

Some of them just seem to think that taking a spirit level on board a plane is proof!

Dip into the rest of his channel. Completely pointless trying to engage with him as he will just remove or edit comments out.

www.youtube.com...

Well, let's not just dismiss him out of hand, simply because "since he believes the Earth is flat, then everything he says is wrong". Instead, let's look at his experiment to see if his results have any value...or if we approach it from the side of knowing that the Earth IS a spheroid, let's try to figure out why his spirit level didn't show that the plane was dipping.

He correctly stated that flying 180 miles over an ~8000 mile diameter Earth (he said ~25,000 mile circumference, but basically the same thing), then to stay level with the curvature of the Earth's surface, the plane must deviate 4 miles from "flat" (flat relative to a curved Earth).

Doing the trigonometry of a triangle with an 180-mile leg and a 4-mile leg, we get an angle of about 1.27° that the plane would need to "continuously dip it's nose" to stay at a constant cruising altitude over those 180 miles.

So even if the plane actually is continuously dipping its nose relative to the ground, is his sprit level sensitive enough to even notice a 1.27° deviation? I say it is not sensitive enough to show us this deviation.

...Although I'll admit I don't know if planes actually do "continuously" dip its nose compensate , or if they compensate over incremental time periods with incremental dipping. However, even if that dipping is incremental (especially if it is incremental) his spirit level is not sensitive enough to pick up this "incremental dipping of the nose".

Actually, there are too many other dips and general coarseness in the flight of an aircraft to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff -- i.e., separate out the actual dip of the plane to compensate for the curvature of the earth from the general coarseness of its flightpath.

So no matter how we approach our investigation into this experiment, we can see that the experiment itself, carried out in the manner it was carried out, has no value.

edit on 23/8/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

NASA stitching a photo together with photoshop glue...and the problem with that would be? If they did it by hand would it be as bad?

You do know that there are several other Space agencies out there other then "the nasa", right...one of em even got a satellite into space first.

Even before "the nasa" was formed, the US sent a V2 rocket up into space and captured the first image of the Earth.

Always with the "nasa so therefore hoax", but never with all the other nations that have space agencies, it is so tiring to hear the same "the nasa fakes everything" line because these same people that keep saying it seem to ignore that every other agency, University, College, Institute, pretty much everyone else on this planet that has an ounce of intelligence verify the data that comes out of "the nasa", and not one person of importance has come out with evidence to support anything was faked.

How dare "the nasa" use an image suite designed for that very task at hand to put together, stitch, align, and colorize an image for the public's consumption.

SHAME ON THEM.

SHAME ON THEM FOR EVEN DETAILING EXACTLY HOW THEY DO THAT, GIVING YOU DOWNLOAD LINKS TO THE RAW IMAGES SO YOU CAN ALSO DO IT YOURSELF. FOR SHAME, NASA.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I only have one thing to say to flat earth theorists.

If we did actually find out the earth was flat , how would that help humanity treat each other better ?

What you do on this earth is more important than the shape of it .

Just my two cents 😕

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
another problem with the " because NASA argument "

can any flat earthers explain why :

" over the course of 600 years - numerous rival nations and empires that were frequently at war - all maintained the concensus of a spherical earth ? "

i has limited the scope of my argument to the period 1500 > 2000 for simplicity only - as its the period when hation states and empires had the clearest " national policy " on issues

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

It is simply a mindset with reality going out the window for many of them. You can see how some people can get sucked into it. It is getting all a bit religious cult like with believers swooning all over these prominent and vocal Flat Earthers. The really sad thing is the indoctrination of the children of these Flat Earthers. It is just sad!

Have a dip into this madness from Orphan Red

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

Because these people are genuinely stupid

and... the bible

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

thats the thing , many of the people who believe in flat earth theory arent doing it because they believe the earth is flat they are doing it just to troll the scientific thinkers and proponents of the spherical earth

they are all cult of kek , flat earth , obvious trolls who just get kicks out of #posting everything online because they have nothing better to do than wind people up online who fall for the bait.

so there are genuine flat earth believers because they simply refuse to believe anything that science tells them because of this intellectual superiority complex they may have , where they refuse to believe someone who has studied and researched in their chosen field all their life and just accept it as fact because they also believe that scientific study is a cult of itself.

there are cult of kek # posting trolls who believe in flat earth too

What I dont understand is , they are happy to absolutely believe science when it comes to the oxygen we breath every day without thinking about it , but wont believe science when we tell them the earth is a spherical object in 3d space

edit on 24-8-2017 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

I think if it were proven the earth was flat, humanity might just lose it.. much more than they presently are.. If people can't treat each other respectably, it's because they don't want to. People shouldn't need a reason to be respectful to one another, and quite frankly, a flat earth, I doubt, would make that happen faster, common sense however, would.
edit on 24-8-2017 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TomLawless

I'll break you in slowly. Here is flat earth proof from an AF SR-71 pilot:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Here is NASA admitting that nobody has gone into space...

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join