It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA plan to save Mankind from Yellowstone supervolcano

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

You know, I even think I posted an idea similar to this on ATS. Who is to say they don't possibly get ideas like this from websites like ATS? I'm not saying they picked my idea, but I think anything is possible. I don't think it's a bad idea, as long as they take their time. If something were to go wrong that would be very bad! I think the odds are more in favor of it working, and I do think it is worth a try.

(post by SudoNim removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
"save mankind" lol yeah right

Always looking for more and more praise. It's enough that you went to the moon
edit on 23-8-2017 by Eagleyedobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

NASA explores space, for one. Two, actually drilling into an active magma chamber is impossible. Even if you did, the hole is too small to effect an eruption, the heat and pressure would melt the drilling apparatus long before it actually penetrated actual magma. All the rock at that depth is plastic, hot, and fluid. Especially above the magma.

If they were somehow able to get near the roof of the chamber at a weak 'spot' (the magma chamber below yellowstone is 7 miles by 50 miles) then insert a nuke and detonate it... who knows.

Yeah. NASA needs to stick with space and leave the super volcanos alone. Wtf?

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

originally posted by: intrptr

NASA explores space, for one. Two, actually drilling into an active magma chamber is impossible. Even if you did, the hole is too small to effect an eruption, the heat and pressure would melt the drilling apparatus long before it actually penetrated actual magma. All the rock at that depth is plastic, hot, and fluid. Especially above the magma.

If they were somehow able to get near the roof of the chamber at a weak 'spot' (the magma chamber below yellowstone is 7 miles by 50 miles) then insert a nuke and detonate it... who knows.

Yeah. NASA needs to stick with space and leave the super volcanos alone. Wtf?

NASA stands National Geologic Administration now?

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It might have started from the Star - but it's not all tabloid now is it?

NASA announced this week that it is working on plans to drill six miles down into the volcanically active region and pump water into the magma at high pressures.

The water would return to the surface at 662 degrees Fahrenheit, bringing some of the volcano’s heat with it.

The project is massive, estimated to cost $3.46 billion, and admittedly risky.

“The most important thing with this is to do no harm,” Wilcox, a researcher NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory at the California Institute of Technology, told the BBC. “If you drill into the top of the magma chamber and try and cool it from there, this would be very risky.

This could make the cap over the magma chamber more brittle and prone to fracture. And you might trigger the release of harmful volatile gases in the magma at the top of the chamber which would otherwise not be released.”

But the NASA scientists working on the project are convinced that Yellowstone poses enough of a threat that they are willing to risk setting off an eruption.

While the scientists tinker with the supervolcano, Rabbi Rami Levy, a well-known kabbalist from Jerusalem, was skeptical of their plan to save the world.
Earthquake Hits Yellowstone During Solar Eclipse as NASA Seeks Supervolcano Solution

Interesting, still.

peace

edit on 4956Wednesday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Actually this is MY idea they stole from 8 years ago which i posted here in ATS and other forums.I will try to find the thread.My idea was a bit more refined.

Here is the thread:-

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Super + Volcano - To Be Stopped

defusing volcanoes.

the yellowstone volcano is the greatest threat america faces.it poses more real threat than from any number of raghead terrorists.

geological surveys in the last few years have shown an increasing rate of ground tilt due to the massive pressure caused by the very hot lava and superheated gases.if nothing is done the eruption is inevitable with the resulting grave consequences exceeding that of a nuclear conflict.

the technology to stop volcanos is very simple and before i tell you i assert exclusive owenership of this particular idea to stop volcanos exploding.

The primary measures to be taken to delay or stop the explosion would be to use an analogy and literally "lance the boil" to relieve the pressure.

By using standard oil drilling techniques to insert pipelines to relieve the pressure or releasing the superheated lava the eruption can be delayed or stopped depending on much of either is released and the rate at which it is released.

there are other methods as well but the above is the simplest and most direct.

to allow significant delay or stopping of the eruption i calculate that between 30 to 100 drill holes would be required at various equidistant points around the volcano.

the resulting high pressure molton lave would the be transported using using pipelines and would be used to fll underground cavities or fill in the troughs between hill, hummocks, or mountains.

also very importantly the hot lava flow can be used as a vast source of energy for steam turbine power stations.

steam turbine power stations are relatively easy to construct and again upto 30 to 100 would be set up along each pipeline thus solving america energy needs for millenia.

the molton lava can also be used as a construction material by ,mass producing houses using molds into which the molton lava would be poured.

these houses would be very strong and earthquake proof as no bricks and morter would be used and would be essentially be a single construction and could be exported to japan.

or california.

you see i have solved 3 of the worlds problems in a few paragraphs.

no need for any fancy expensive advanced technology.

Again i assert exclusive owenership of these ideas.

now lets start organising a campaign to notify Bush/Blair as these people are totally unaware and obsessed with A-Rabs who are totally insignificant compared to the danger posed by this super volcano.

edit on 24-8-2017 by championoftruth because: late thoughts.

edit on 24-8-2017 by championoftruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: InFriNiTee

They stole it from me .

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Its my idea actually.

You don't need to pump water.just bleed the pressure as explained in the thread and you can us it to build houses as well.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: championoftruth

They stole it from me .

Thank you for making me laugh today.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   

The geology of the Yellowstone magma dome is well understood, and this drilling proposal has no chance of triggering a premature eruption.

To elaborate on this: Yellowstone is a "bimodal" volcano. Magma comes in two types: mafic and felsic. Mafic lava is heavier and more fluid, and comes from deep in the earth. Felsic is lighter and "gooey" like honey or molten glass. Yellowstone has both. After a long quiescent period, it will erupt with felsic lava first, and then later erupt with mafic lava. This is because the felsic magma is lighter, so it floats on the heavier mafic lava.

So even if the drilling breaks a pressure barrier, any magma that comes through will be felsic, and it will get higher in viscosity as it rises and cools, thus forming a plug that will block further flow. This self-plugging action is one reason that felsic volcanoes tend to explode violently once they finally blow. Mafic volcanoes, like Mauna Loa in Hawaii, tend to have lots of small eruptions that can flow for years or decades, rather than one big blowout.

Felsic volcanoes are also called stratovolcanoes since they tend to be tall and narrow as the viscous lava doesn't flow far. The most common felsic rock is granite.

Mafic volcanoes are also called shield volcanoes, because their wide base makes them look like a shield laying on the ground. The most common mafic rock is basalt.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
NASA plans to save mankind from Yellowstone Supervulcano.
Jeez, that sounds like a plan ... just sit there and enjoy while getting government funding for not doing Space Exploration ...

Trampoline Launch System strikes back:

a0.amlimg.com... zgzYzU0YTZlZDVmZTg5OWZlYzNiZWYyZGJiYjJiYTI1ZTZhYTIwNC5qcGd8fHx8fHwyOTJ4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join