It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six Flags Over Texas Removes Confederate Flag

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The Six Flags Over Texas is a theme park in Arlington, TX. It has been open since 1961 and has always been known for the 6 flags that fly at the entrance representing each chapter of the state's history.

The flags that have flown over Texas are: The United States, Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, and most infamously, the Confederate States of America. They were a representation of historical fact.

This morning, after recent events in Charlottsville, the theme park caved and will remove their iconic display. If you have memories of looking up at those flags blowing in the breeze and wondering about the history and cultural diversity of Texas, cherish them, because those six flags will be taken down and replaced with one flag.

The Arlington theme park was named for the six flags that have flown over the state of Texas in its history, the Confederate flag being one of them. Park officials previously told TMZ they saw a fundamental difference between the flag they fly and the Confederate Battle Flag.

www.foxnews.com...

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
its amazing to me how the many always bow to the whims of the few...again....and again

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

"At Six Flags Over Texas we strive every single day to make people happy and to create a fun, thrilling and safe family friendly experience for our guests. We always choose to focus on celebrating the things that unite us versus those that divide us. As such, we have changed the flag displays in our park to feature American flags," said Sharon Parker, Manager of Communications for Six Flags Over Texas.

Sharon Parker, Communications Manager of Six Flags.
edit on 18-8-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Pure defensive marketing. The fear of lost admision profits has caused corporate stratigists to be proactive.

edit on 18-8-2017 by quercusrex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Sharon Parker is also involved in Public Relations for Six Flags. I looked her up. I'm sure she is thrilled with this decision, and she was probably instrumental in getting it done.

Keep erasing history, fools! Because of this act today, I will never set foot in Six Flags again. IMO, this was a PR fiasco.
edit on 18-8-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
They really had no choice. If they didnt they would have been targeted soon enough. Kinda dumb. If we are doing history, the Spanish werent exactly new world friendly, but thats no reason to ban the flag today.

Or is it. Ban everything. Tear down all the statues. Destroy all flags. Make all homes the same square block of grey. Guess who has done that before...

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

Pure defensive marketing. The fear of lost admision profits has caused corporate stratigists to be proactive.

Fear of boycotts, riots and their parks burning is a tad more accurate.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Remove the flag or be punished.

Yeah, there's no authoritarian current in the US.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
We lost.

As a nation we have lost.

The "United States" is gone. So sad.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Are they also going to change the name to "One flag?"

Not that I care, it's their business, and they can do what they please with it (reasonably, within the parameters of the law and other outliers/guidelines for those who enjoy splitting hairs).

But yeah, OP, I feel you. I've been to a number of Six Flags amusement parks and each and every time I go it's not the thrill and rush of the rides that I cherish, it's looking at the flags lol

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Why not just replace it with an ISIS flag? At least that is a philosophy these folks knocking down statues and destroying history seem to identify with now.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The "Offengers" have taken over.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

To me, this act is different than removing a statue.

This was simply a flag among five others representing the history of Texas. Those six flags were iconic. IMO, there should be a huge backlash of people saying, "this is crossing the line....this is just plain stupid".

I may call Sharon Parker, Public Relations and Communications and tell her. I can promise you not one member of my family and extended family will ever set foot in that theme park again.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The U. S. Is going to look very different by the time this "identify purge " is over.

Very sad.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Agreed.

Best defense is to cave to possible social pressure before it effects the bottom line.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
It wasn't even the battle flag - the one everyone knows. It was the Confederate States of America flag. No one even knew what it was!

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

I think they may just find out their bottom line will get redder and redder because of this fool decision.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

She's on twitter

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Censorship by any other name smells just as foul.

Apologies to Wm Shakespeare.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I pledge allegiance to the object that shall not be named of the UN neutral landmasses of America, and to the segregation for which they chose , and to the city-states under the dome, hail the government and party, for all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join