It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Monuments to Stay at Gettysburg Battlefield

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The National Park Service has put their foot down.

They say ALL the Confederate things in Gettysburg will stay !!

They transmitted their intentions firmly !!

Nothing in Gettysburg will burn.

Confed erate Monuments to Stay at Gettysburg Battlefield

Officials with the National Park Service said the Confederate monuments at Gettysburg National Military Park in Pennsylvania will not be removed from the battlefield.

Katie Lawhon, senior adviser for the park service's Gettysburg battlefield office, told the Reading Eagle (http://(link tracking not allowed)/2uTe2rn ) the site-specific memorials are important, and the park service's job is to historically and objectively tell the stories the monuments commemorate.

Her reassurance comes after a heated debate over Confederate monuments spread across the U.S. Three people died amid turmoil in Charlottesville, Virginia, Saturday over the planned removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. Four protesters have been arrested in connection with the toppling of a Confederate statue in Durham, North Carolina, and Baltimore dismantled four monuments under the cover of darkness late Tuesday night and early Wednesday.

Barb Adams, a volunteer at the Gettysburg battlefield, said the removal of the statues is breaking her heart.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Gettysburg is so much more than just an old battlefield or a war memorial.
The entire place is set up like a history classroom of one of the Civil War's most decisive, bloody and historically important battles. It now exists as living history.

Nothing should ever be taken away from it.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Gettysburg would be one of those places that would be worth fighting over, so much history, and post war so much healing went on there.

ETA: I am very happy to see the park service take a stand.
edit on 17-8-2017 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Finally someone takes a stand and i hope others follow there example. However the article again insuniates that the 2 police troopers who tragically died in a helicopter crash were part of the incident on the ground. That's another article who deliberately drives a false narrative. I'm spotting a pattern here.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Bwhahahaaaaaaaa!.

The National Park Service did the Eastwood.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The National Park Service has put their foot down.

They say ALL the Confederate things in Gettysburg will stay !!

They transmitted their intentions firmly !!

Nothing in Gettysburg will burn.

Confed erate Monuments to Stay at Gettysburg Battlefield

Officials with the National Park Service said the Confederate monuments at Gettysburg National Military Park in Pennsylvania will not be removed from the battlefield.

Katie Lawhon, senior adviser for the park service's Gettysburg battlefield office, told the Reading Eagle (http://(link tracking not allowed)/2uTe2rn ) the site-specific memorials are important, and the park service's job is to historically and objectively tell the stories the monuments commemorate.

Her reassurance comes after a heated debate over Confederate monuments spread across the U.S. Three people died amid turmoil in Charlottesville, Virginia, Saturday over the planned removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. Four protesters have been arrested in connection with the toppling of a Confederate statue in Durham, North Carolina, and Baltimore dismantled four monuments under the cover of darkness late Tuesday night and early Wednesday.

Barb Adams, a volunteer at the Gettysburg battlefield, said the removal of the statues is breaking her heart.

S&F Thank God there's still some sanity in this country.

One of my great grandfathers (long story -- two generations of old parents) actually knew some of the men who survived Gettysburg. He joined the Union Army at the tail end of the War. Missed Gettysburg by about a year.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Heck yeah man thank you sweet baby jesus somebody said F....u....

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The battlefield is a museum. There it's appropriate.

Although here in the historical triangle of Jamestown, Yorktown, and Williamsburg we don't have any statues of the British officers who lost to George Washington and the Continental Army.
But there is a statue of french general the marquis de Lafayette.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

There comes a time when even those spouting rhetoric go too far.

Sure, talk about assassinating the president, blowing up Mt. Rushmore, defunding Jefferson Memorial.

Free to do that.

I hope they continue. Let the authoritarians talk freely all they want.

They are outing themselves.

I would encourage them to continue.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Although here in the historical triangle of Jamestown, Yorktown, and Williamsburg we don't have any statues of the British officers who lost to George Washington and the Continental Army.

You dont get to decide whats appropriate.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Thank god there are a few sensible people left in the country. What would it be like if only the North was represented at Gettysburg? They would have to get rid of the Confederate cannons too. Buring your head in the sand isn't the way this should be addressed, we do not have to get rid of the confederate statues. I have never seen one, I think someday I would like to see one somewhere. I assumed that they would always be on display.

Next they should destroy Mount Rushmore I suppose. Since people want to destroy this countries heritage, they might as well be thorough. After all, there were two Republicans on Mount Rushmore and only one that is considered a possible Democrat. They may need to destroy one of the Republican heads to balance the parties. They can impeach one of those Republican presidents on there.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The Gettysburg Battlefield is exactly the place Confederate statues should be.

You won't here any complaining from me about them being there.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
The Gettysburg Battlefield is exactly the place Confederate statues should be.

You won't here any complaining from me about them being there.

A neighborhood park, a courthouse are not proper, but here I have to agree 100% on this!

There is compromise here

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Maybe there are some statues they should add.

Maybe there are those who fought that also deserve recognition, but are ignored.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Who are you to tell anyone what is appropriate and what is not?
Location is enough for you to tell someone they cant be offended?
If it is offensive in charlottesville why would it not be offensive in any other location?

Get yourself a sheet cake and mind your own business!

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Gettysburg is so much more than just an old battlefield or a war memorial.
The entire place is set up like a history classroom of one of the Civil War's most decisive, bloody and historically important battles. It now exists as living history.

Nothing should ever be taken away from it.

The radical left wants to re-write history... just like Nazi Germany did with book burning and ISIS is doing right now by destroying monuments and landmarks that don't conform to their ideology.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Are those British officers American? Did everyone in the south lose US citizenship? Did the people who fought for their homes stop being Americans?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The Southern States all ratified the 14th Amendment.

California took until 1959 to ratify the 14th.

BwaaaHaHaHa

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

The National Park Service has put their foot down. They say ALL the Confederate things in Gettysburg will stay !! They transmitted their intentions firmly !!

They aren't "Confederate things". Not even close.

Gettysburg is special for so many reasons.

If you do not at least know the full history, and better yet, have not also been there yourself, please STFU.

Without the above, your opinions are uninformed and meaningless.

Please educate yourselves.

Everyone.

This is a non-issue that has been manufactured by those with an agenda.

Ask yourselves 2 simple questions:

Cui Bono?

Why now?

And please, please, please - think.

top topics

join