It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sonic Mania

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Anyone tried it yet? I think it came out yesterday. I am DL'ing it right now. From the footage I've seen it looks pretty impressive, but kinda tacky in some ways. It has a veneer of something amateurish and fan-made.

Well, it is actually fan-made by amateurs.

But that's probably a good thing as there hasn't been a truly memorable Sonic game since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. This was one of my favorite childhood games and I played the ever-living crap out of it.

I am excited to see how this one lives up. Many reviewers are claiming it's even better than the classic cartridges we longed for.

Let me know what you think of it.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha
Yes. It's more Sonic. Essentially it's what Sonic 4 should have been.

Each stage is a sort of rework of previous ones but it's not done like a cheesy ripoff or halfhearted style of typical fangame garbage. It's actually good if you liked the old Sonic 1-3 games.

I was pretty surprised by it and it hit the nostalgia spot pretty hard.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

Yeah I did Sonic 4. Wow what a waste of microsoft points or whatever their currency was.

I think I finished each 'episode' (is that what they called them?) In a single day. 100% completion.

Sonic 1-3 + Knuckles and Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are the only Sonic games as far as I'm concerned.

I've played more titles, but they just sit as spin-off fringe games to me.
edit on 16-8-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
My roommate has it. I've watched a few levels. It looks pretty good but it does seem more like a really impressive rom hack than a brand new game. Still the best looking sonic game to come out in years.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Agreed. For as good as it is, it feels too fan-made like a rom hack. Again, that's essentially what it is--

But I wanted a new, original Sonic 2D game, not a another mod.

Oh well, maybe in another 27 years

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Who can forget...

My favourite aside from the original is Sonic 2 , even bought it on Sonic 2sday (Tuesday).

I'll probably pick up Sonic Mania but I need a controller for my PC to play , can't play it with mouse and keyboard.

edit on 17-8-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I have a suspicion you will appreciate this..

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   

top topics

join