It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perseids with a little bonus

page: 1

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Last weekend I had the privilege to be in a class 2 zone (Bortle scale) to observe and photograph the Perseids meteor shower.
At 5000 feet surrounded by the mountains, it was a perfect weekend, two nights without clouds.
Apart from the moon rising and illuminating the nightsky around 1am it was very enjoyable.

The time I was there(only 2x3 hours) I've seen a lot of 'falling stars', small ones, big ones and very big ones that almost crosses the entire sky! This year was the best one for me.
Here is a shot from the timelapse of the first night, green colored meteors entering the atmosphere, probably iron or magnesium?

Suddenly I also had some unexpected company of a typical Spanish Mastin dog that you frequently see here in the mountains. She just came sitting besides me, very relaxed and quite surprised but content to have some company during the night.

I always wanted to do a nightscape timelapse with the stars and milky way so this was the perfect opportunity, the Perseids was a nice bonus to that.
When looking through the footage I noticed something unexpected, an exploding meteor or something similar
Although this one isn't that impressive as some I've seen on the internet, I'm quite happy on the capture. You can see the dust expanding in several images.
This happened when the moon already had risen so maybe that's why it's not so bright. You can also see at the same time a satellite crossing the sky at almost the same exact location.
I made a close up GIF of the moment. Had to reduce the size a lot for ATS to upload, hopefully it's a bit noticeable.

When the full timelapse is ready, for those interested I can send a link. It will only be around 20sec long though.

If you have images from the Perseid shower please feel free to share here.

IGF

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

One word! AMAZING. Thank you for posting!

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Beautiful images and gif.

I watched the Perseids for a few hours Saturday night as well.
Excellent show, with many larger long meteors traversing the entire sky. Always a favorite when the sky is clear and the weather permits. My area isn't the best viewing as far as darkness is concerned, but these were good enough to shine through some light pollution this year.

I see showers like this and it amazes me how small we are in this vast universe.

Excellent thread!

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Just beautiful.

Thank you for sharing.

I hope you do this for a living. Good eye and good camera.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Just beautiful!

I was lucky to see the largest meteor i have seen, streak across the entire sky at 5 am EST on Aug 14.
I had just finished eating breakfast up at the mine site I work, so I was standing outside having a smoke before heading up to my office.
I had just happened to remember that there would still be some meteors visible so I looked up and not even 2 seconds later, the biggest streak I have ever seen showed up and tore across the entire sky line.

And yes please! I would love a link to the video once its uploaded.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Here a few night of catch with my sky Camera Aug 9, 10,11,12/17 some 40 +

Here a Ground Map overlay

files.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 16-8-2017 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Just beautiful!

I was lucky to see the largest meteor i have seen, streak across the entire sky at 5 am EST on Aug 14.
I had just finished eating breakfast up at the mine site I work, so I was standing outside having a smoke before heading up to my office.
I had just happened to remember that there would still be some meteors visible so I looked up and not even 2 seconds later, the biggest streak I have ever seen showed up and tore across the entire sky line.

And yes please! I would love a link to the video once its uploaded.

Here the biggest I got after 4 years off doing this a Mag -12.0 as big as the moon on Jan 8/17

files.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 16-8-2017 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Nice capture!

I did catch a couple of meteors in the night sky for the first tie ever but no photos as weren't quick enough.

Usually cloudy here in London when this happens and it was again saturday with a few breaks in the clouds

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Nice work! What camera and equipment?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat
Thanks!
This is just a hobby, no full time job.
I'm a hobby landscape/nature photographer from before the digital age and it's just a couple of months I've been into astrophotography.
One time I won a photo contest about fruits, I was send monthly 10kg of oranges for a year long
but besides that never made any money out of it, it's just something I love to do.

a reply to: abeverage
Thx!
I used a Nikon D610 with 14mm lens. For the timelapse I used a Skywatcher SA to create a motion timelapse so the camera pans across the horizon.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Trillium

Cool stuff, what type of camera is that? Does use some kind of trigger?
Would be cool to get a 360º cam

edit on 16-8-2017 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
there's permanent cloud coverage whenever i want to watch the skies, nice shots.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire
a reply to: Trillium

Cool stuff, what type of camera is that? Does use some kind of trigger?
Would be cool to get a 360º cam

It a 100.00 webcam 720x480 working on a upgrade 1080x720 next
Program for trigger and capture

Some use a fish eye len to get a all sky picture

Capture file has to be a .avi files
my Jan 8/17 catch was a 10 sec at 29.9 frame per second with 209 Mb .avi files

top topics

join