It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abrams calls for removal of Confederate faces off Stone Mountain

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
]

Should we remove mention of the confederacy or those who fought for them from history books as well?
edit on pm88201717America/Chicago15p10pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: HunkaHunka

originally posted by: Kromlech

He was an imperfect American. The Confederates were not American, they were traitors to our great nation.

LOL!!!!

Ok wait....so the Confederates were not American? Please explain this to me.

I had no idea they were all from another country, and invaded under the guise of American soldiers. This must be a completely new conspiracy in itself....maybe they were reptilian Nazis!

Oh...and Stone Mountain isn't going anywhere.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: HunkaHunka

His ideals are the same as the ones who marched with their "cute" supremacist rhetoric. So you are justifying allowing him to be memorialized.

My hate can be justified if it's American Democrat hate apparently.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
"Confederate monuments are important!"

"Losers don't deserve participation trophies!"

Yeah, btw, the plan is in no short order, to remove all confederate monuments(nobody wants to erase history). A lot of people think that the representatives of the confederacy shouldn't be held in such high regard.

What are you talking about?

This is modern leftist America.

*EVERYONE* gets participation trophies!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
"they shall come all, for violence"

Patrick Stewart, Dune....

Is this the future. Will we finally exist as enclaves of like minds, defending and nothing but .....defending ?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The Left is acting JUST like ISIS with historical monuments... Let that sink in.

link   

" Members of the confederacy are 1. Losers of a war, and 2. Traitors to the constitutional values of our great Union. "

You DO Realize that you Come off like a Lamely Self Righteous A Hole here with a Statement like that ? I am Offended by it , but I Respect Your First Amendment Right to Say it Here in a Public Forum . If you Knew Anything Relevant about the War Between the States , then you just Might Want to retract those Words ..............

link   

Experts estimate altering the Stone Mountain carving would cost millions of dollars. Rep. Abrams said she did not have any information about how much the project would cost, but suggested that crowd-sourcing could pay for it.

Source

This article is saying that she has no plan on funding it but is thinking about crowd funding it. This is how I know it's not going to happen, it would be against state law and crowd funding doesn't overrule state law.

This is probably just her gerrymandering in order to secure votes in the upcoming election. It's not going to happen. If she's considering crowd funding then it's not through state law.
edit on 8/15/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
The Left is acting JUST like ISIS with historical monuments... Let that sink in.

Losers don't get trophies

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Give me a break, a monument on a side of a mountain affects people that wasn't alive during the civil war. That's nothing but blacks passing the blame for themselves not putting forth the effort to pull themselves up out of the ghetto they created.

It's just blacks whining about white people like always. They want to tear down anything that has a white person on it. How long before they want Washington off the dollar bill.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It's private property.
The family that also owns Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO bought the park years ago.

I used to live close enough to spend idle days at the park.
Always thought it was some form of irony when buses full of black kids would unload in the parking lot in full sight of the bas-relief of JAckson, Davis, and Lee, who would probably all cringe at the thought of free black people.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

A political ploy. Hopping on the band wagon, what a bold and brave leader.
Yea, it reminds me of the saying in Hollywood, any exposure is good exposure....... or something of the sort....

Politicians trying to stay relevant. Some are alive only because it's illegal to ........... ..... .... you know the rest.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Echo007
Give me a break, a monument on a side of a mountain affects people that wasn't alive during the civil war. That's nothing but blacks passing the blame for themselves not putting forth the effort to pull themselves up out of the ghetto they created.

It's just blacks whining about white people like always. They want to tear down anything that has a white person on it. How long before they want Washington off the dollar bill.

Actually in this case, it's an American asking why those who hate American values have monuments dedicated to them

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: HunkaHunka

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

They should not be celebrated and should be forgotten.

Fine, do not celebrate them. But DO NOT FORGET OUR HISTORY. We cant just whitewash history that we find uncomfortable. Something something something learn from history, something something something, doomed to repeat it.

It's not our history. Do we have monuments to the British generals who fought against our Union? The Confederates were all traitors who took up arms against American ideals.

I bet some see the new World Trade Center in NYC as a monument to Osama Bin Laden.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

You have personally spoken to them to know for sure?

Lee himself disliked slavery enough that he had an illegal school on his property to educate his slaves against a time when they could be freed.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
"Confederate monuments are important!"

"Losers don't deserve participation trophies!"

Yeah, btw, the plan is in no short order, to remove all confederate monuments(nobody wants to erase history). A lot of people think that the representatives of the confederacy shouldn't be held in such high regard.

They were all Mexican American War heroes....

Funny twist....monument is renamed, suddenly it's not racist and they didn't lose....see how history can change by just looking at it the way you want?

I say tear down all mosques....Muslims were the largest slave traders...burn them all!

How far back in history shall we go to destroy things? 100 years? 1000 years? Screw it....every race has done something to another at some point....Giant Meteor 2020!!!! Vote early and vote often!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I hate to say this, because I have always liked your OP's

but this is apt, and it's yours ... The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves

Mind you, I'm not calling you a fool. The South is being attacked by all sides, and as a southerner, I feel obliged to defend our values. and if you want to debate values, north and south that's going to be lengthy

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
But....we need those reminders so we do not repeat our mistakes.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
But....we need those reminders so we do not repeat our mistakes.

The problem with that line of reasoning is that those reminders end up having very different meanings to different people. When a symbol like the flag is as prominent as it is, being plastered left and right on merchandise throughout the country are we really treating it like it symbolizes a mistake?

I've already stated when this issue has cropped up before, I've no problem with the statues or the flags, but they don't belong in places like state houses or public parks.
Private citizens however have the right to do whatever they want with their lawns and flagpoles.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
I hate to say this, because I have always liked your OP's

but this is apt, and it's yours ... The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves

Mind you, I'm not calling you a fool. The South is being attacked by all sides, and as a southerner, I feel obliged to defend our values. and if you want to debate values, north and south that's going to be lengthy

Honestly, the only reason these monuments exist are because the southerners at that time wanted to thumb their nose at the Union.

Take a read at this : www.theatlantic.com...

Those people took up arms against this great nation so that they could defend slavery. I have no use for them.

I'm also a southerner, and am ashamed that those who lived here before me would have participated in a war for slavery.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join