It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Admit It.. Every One of Us Is Prejudiced In Some Way.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
August 15, 2017

The vast majority of Americans are prejudiced against, and/or make fun of, or joke about, a particular type of person in some way. I'm sure almost everyone reading this, agrees with that statement.

Then, why is it so hard for us to admit having those emotions when posting on ATS? I see threads where posters are obviously feeling guilty about being human, so they vehemently deny having a prejudiced bone in their own body, then accuse another ATS member of being a racist sympathizer, or something worse. Lately, threads of this nature have taken over the forum. But why?

No Need To Feel Guilty!: news.harvard.edu...

Why is it so difficult for people to be honest with themselves, fair to others, and to keep life issues in proper perspective and priority? Maybe we should make this a thread where each of us can "confess". What do ya think, ATS?

-CareWeMust

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I honestly cannot say I'm prejudiced about anything, you may be thinking of the wrong word here. Prejudiced means hating someone for having a very specific quality no matter who the person is, everyone with that one specific quality is seen as "lesser" and worthy of hate.

I can make a joke about a certain race or point out stereotypes and still not be prejudiced against said race.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I admit that I can't stand stupid ,no matter who it comes out of .

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Why is it so difficult for people to be honest with themselves, fair to others, and to keep life issues in proper perspective and priority? Maybe we should make this a thread where each of us can "confess". What do ya think, ATS?

whenever i talk about how white men are the worst it makes them cry

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

We used to engage in this behavior in groups. We called it comedy.

Nowadays, comedians are an endagered breed because they could offend someone in the audience with a joke.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

We used to engage in this behavior in groups. We called it comedy.

Nowadays, comedians are an endagered breed because they could offend someone in the audience with a joke.

have you ever heard of punching up vs punching down when it comes to comedy?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Of course, everyone has their prejudices.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Being prejudiced and making fun of someone for a certain quality are two different things.

Prejudice implies a dislike or hatred of someone for a specific reason. You can make fun of someone you absolutely love.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

I know that some of the funnier comedians have stated they will no longer play college campuses because of the SJW phenomena. When you can't get Jerry Seinfeld to play your college ..."

And he's not alone. Apparently Chris Rock and Larry the Cable Guy won't do colleges either mainly because kids have forgotten that it's OK to laugh at jokes in a setting like that.

“I hear that all the time,” Seinfeld said. “I don’t play colleges, but I hear a lot of people tell me, ‘Don’t go near colleges. They’re so PC.’ I’ll give you an example: My daughter’s 14. My wife says to her, ‘Well, you know, in the next couple years, I think maybe you’re going to want to be hanging around the city more on the weekends, so you can see boys.’ You know what my daughter says? She says, ‘That’s sexist.’ They just want to use these words: ‘That’s racist’; ‘That’s sexist’; ‘That’s prejudice.’ They don’t know what they’re talking about.”

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Yup.

I'm prejudiced against pedophiles, rapists, murderers, nazis, skinheads, and speedos.

I have no problem rounding them all up and tossing them onto some desolate island in the middle of the Antarctic Ocean where they can all happily live amongst one another. Thunderdome.

And I'm not afraid to admit it.

edit on 15-8-2017 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I'm prejudice against idiots and racists...most of the time those two overlap.

Also, I have low opinions of smokers, automatically mark them as unintelligent.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Oh man I love my speedos now you are going to chuck me on an island with those guys

If I kill em all can I come back?.
edit on 15-8-2017 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Everyone is so quick to assume that everything said that might be offensive is racist, sexist, prejudice.

The issue is that we have stopped caring what the speaker intended. We now only care how it made us feel. How something made us feel does not in the slightest reveal what a speaker intended, and in the case of a comedian, the intent is to make people laugh together, to air those little things that make us a bit uncomfortable maybe.

This clip explains it pretty well.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I pre judge people for all kinds of reasons. I just can't find it in my heart to forgive men wearing brown shoes and women that smell like goats.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I honestly cannot say I'm prejudiced about anything, you may be thinking of the wrong word here. Prejudiced means hating someone for having a very specific quality no matter who the person is, everyone with that one specific quality is seen as "lesser" and worthy of hate.

I can make a joke about a certain race or point out stereotypes and still not be prejudiced against said race.

I think you're saying that being prejudiced over a trait, is far different than being "racist". Point taken. That makes sense.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Everyone is so quick to assume that everything said that might be offensive is racist, sexist, prejudice.

Everyone? I just made an important distinction between prejudice and poking fun/humor, which the OP doesn't seem to understand.

No assumptions needed.

The issue is that we have stopped caring what the speaker intended. We now only care how it made us feel. How something made us feel does not in the slightest reveal what a speaker intended, and in the case of a comedian, the intent is to make people laugh together, to air those little things that make us a bit uncomfortable maybe.

Ok. That does not mean that we are all prejudice in some form or fashion.

That means the delivery may have sucked and the recipient is too sensitive.

Not indicative of prejudice.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Oh man I love my speedos now you are going to chuck me on an island with those guys

If I kill em all can I come back?.

Nah, you can stay.

But your speedos have to go, they don't deserve any human rights like the rest of us.

Here.... have a leopard print banana hanger as a replacement.

You'll thank me for it later.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
I admit that I can't stand stupid ,no matter who it comes out of .

And I can't stand the Anti-American wing of the U.S. media. That's 87% of the outlets, according to a recent survey posted to ATS.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

A person's prejudices may predispose them to take offense where none was meant.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Then, why is it so hard for us to admit having those emotions when posting on ATS?

It's not difficult for me. I said it the other day on ATS. People on the left and right are equally prejudiced and no more or less prejudiced than me...in general.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join