It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Block / mute / report users

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   
As the title. How do I do it please? I can't seem to find a thing, yet I'm sure we used to be able to mute users (ie trolls).
edit on 14-8-2017 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: markymint

You can't anymore, and if you want to be part of a grown up discussion you need to be able to listen to people that don't agree with you.

If you think someone is trolling or being abusive, hit report and contact the mods.

WAY too many people think that someone disagreeing with them = trolling. It does not. Don't get yourself worked up. it's just sad to me how many people want this feature back. It's an anonymous person on the internet, don't let them get to you so much.

IF you want to report someone, go to the little outline of a person on their profile. Click it, then click ALERT! and enter why you're reporting them.

Use it for real reasons.

edit on 1420170820171 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Thanks Domo, I just 'Alerted' your profile 9 times, just to see if it works.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

Ha!

I feel so bad for the mods when people actually do this.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Yeah, I too want this feature back. Muting improved the overall experience for me. It allows you to focus on the people that make decent thought out replies and filter out those that persistently do not. I'd rather not be forced to have to listen to every retard that gets hold of the internet, and on the flip-side I'm quite happy for the internet to not have to listen to me! But thanks for the info.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   
In real life I can walk away from an argument. I can stop my participation in it by leaving.

But it seems the consensus is to stay around and endure the BS while I try to argue my point, putting my fingers in my ear and yelling "Nyah nyah I cant hear you" while someone continually rants.

Nah I'd like the ignore button. then I can continue to discuss things, and not deal with every tom dick and harry hell bent on being a dick.

There was an ignore button for a reason. I wrote my own back in the day too, when it was removed. but the new format b0rked my greasemonkey

In a world where 99% of people are trolls, it's hard to report them all.. harder to even care any more when you do want to engage in a touchy topic full of noise.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Dude grow up when you go on a website with around a 1/4 million users,the chances of getting into disagreement escalates,how do you handle situations in real life?try using them on the internet,things don't always go your way in life,or you could choose to not view post,plenty of options,if you take"me" out of the equation

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 05:24 AM
link   

So, anyone who disagrees with you or who has an opinion different to yours is a retard and you think you can set yourself up as the arbiter of what a "decent and thought out" reply might be.

That seems a little unreasonable to me.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 05:30 AM
link   
re-introducing that option would make me leave the site frankly.
ATS is one of the few bastions of free speech out there.
outside from cursing, or threats of violence you can say anything you damn well please, and that's how a debate platform should be.
you can just go to twitter and use those block scripts to create your own echo chamber.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
re-introducing that option would make me leave the site frankly.
ATS is one of the few bastions of free speech out there.
outside from cursing, or threats of violence you can say anything you damn well please, and that's how a debate platform should be.
you can just go to twitter and use those block scripts to create your own echo chamber.

You sure you dont mean 4chan?

it's getting like that here. lately.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Muting is (or was) between individuals in the user-base and does not alter what's written on the site (by either of them), so it doesn't impact on freedom of speech. That'd be user bans or moderator muting that is visible to all other users. If I mute you, it doesn't prevent the other 249,999 users from seeing what you wrote!

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   

If you muted someone and kept seeing replies to their comment you would be stuck wondering what they said.

It's not that hard to scroll past an avatar.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
These questions pop up in BBQ threads every three or four months and the answers are always the same. There are no plans to bring back the ignore/block/mute button and the scroll-wheel works better anyway.

The reports/alerts question has been perfectly answered by Domo1. The site relies a lot on alerts and staff don't read every post that comes down the pipes.

An alert doesn't always result in action. This is because many of them are dealt with by consensus. So let's say a mod agrees with your alert? They could be outvoted and the alerted post stays. It doesn't mean it hasn't been considered.

The questions have been answered. Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join