It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just realized something obvious

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
with all this talk of healthcare and all the chaos about needing to change this and that, universal healthcare being dangerous, rising cost, etc, etc.

i just noticed how silly, unnecessary and wasteful it all is, how a few little changes would resolve practically everything.

america already has universal healthcare and a universal basic income right in plain daylight and the only thing hindering us all from benefiting from it are the rules regarding qualification to these programs and paranoid rules that exist to stop mostly non-existent abuse of these programs.

medicare and medicaid should be changed to automatically apply if you are disabled, elderly or earn below the minimum wage required to afford insurance. that's all

social security should apply automatically if you are disabled, elderly or earn below the minimum required to cover basic expenses. that's all.

increase taxes on the rich since the states refuse to follow the lead of the federal government in that regard.

bam no need for food stamps, welfare or obama care or all the rest of the garbage clogging up the system pointlessly.

next is a simple increase of taxes on the rich to make use of our graduated tax system properly, to prevent the same hoarding that ruined rome financially.

regardless of your political view under clinton when taxes on the rich were much higher america had it's best economic growth period ever and was just a few hundred billion dollars short of a surplus in gdp and when those taxes went down under bush, within a few years the whole recession happened and growth shrank and bailouts were given, etc and that was what ruined our growth.

if taxes on the rich stayed that high under bush and obama i bet today we could probably handle a large military budget and still growing surplus at the same time.

along with adopting the changes to social security, medicare and medicaid which i mentioned, i think these changes together would cover everything americans need and want while cutting down on cost, time and clutter.
it would end the healthcare and welfare struggle that's been such an issue in this country and we could focus on all our other problems instead, we as a country need more focus in this interconnected modern world where speed is a necessity to keep up with other nations and corporations.
americans need to stop over thinking things all the time and wasting money on extra pointless things, we're over complicating ourselves into financial ruin at this rate.

1. reform medicaid, medicare and social security to be something all american citizens qualify for just by being an american citizen, where if you fall within the criterion then the benefits of those programs would automatically kick in as needed without pointless and costly bureaucracy getting in the way.
2. increase taxes on the rich to the levels needed to put them at the same percentage of income loss as the rest of the taxpayers, since in many states the rich pay lower taxes than the middle class.

i think we already have everything we need but too much bureaucracy is getting in the way of allowing those programs to function properly for us all.

obamacare and trumpcare or whatevercare are just examples of how wasteful and useless the bureaucracy is and will just create more problems in the long run than it will fix.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere

Define rich?

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Indeed it would be beautiful and simple, to care for human necessities.

Then the question arises: so if taking care of our own is a primary objective of an evolving society, and it seems so simple: then why is it not being done today?

Could the answer be: Your owners don't want it?

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Is there anything taxes can't fix?

Maybe we shouldn't be trying to figure out how to pay for everything and spend more time figuring out why everything costs so much.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Or you could join the rest of the civilized world and have universal healthcare. Currently, you are paying more than other countries with UH and are getting a lower standard of care for the price.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

About where the government places it at, i don't get why you ask that specifically though?
edit on 11-8-2017 by namehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

Or you could join the rest of the civilized world and have universal healthcare. Currently, you are paying more than other countries with UH and are getting a lower standard of care for the price.

Does the rest of the world just write a check for that healthcare or do they have some sort of price controls on the expenses they will be paying?
Americas health system just pays and pays. That's not going to work forever.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

when you ascribe to the notion of another person owning you then you've already given up and they will own you for real, all because you let them do as they please without a word.

it has nothing to do with caring about others and everything to do with the desire to make more money and have more freedom, narcissism rules humanity and i just want more for others so i can also benefit.

i'm a pure capitalist and i hate pointless wasting of money and excessive rules.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere

About where the government places it at, i don't get why you ask that specifically though?

Because rich is a relative term, like fair share.
America does not have a tax problem, we have a spending problem.
Our gdp is bigger than the rest of the world and we still run in deficit every year.
Hence, we have a spending problem.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Ummm...well...Captain......Captain...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Ok.
Well then what is your opinion, as to why these things are not being done now?

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

the "rich" pay only 5.6% of their income to taxes on average while everyone else or the "working middle class" pays 11.1% so i think lack of proper taxes where it should be has a lot to do with the spending problem.

why should our country which has the most powerful economy ever in the history of the world behave like a poor country with so much concern about cost? it makes no sense, we are rich and powerful so why are we hesitating to tax the crap out of the rich when trillions are sitting in their banks wasting away.

imagine just through a tax increase having 2 or 3 trillion or more to spend... we could quickly become unmatched as a nation and it would be impossible to ever catch up to us unless you are india and china with much larger populations and potentially more rich people someday.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

inefficiency, a lack of a central focus on long term goals, i think our states are too lax in their own management and rely too much on federal money and most can no longer sustain themselves independently, they no longer have the self sufficiency they needed to even join the union in the first place.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere

the "rich" pay only 5.6% of their income to taxes on average while everyone else or the "working middle class" pays 11.1% so i think lack of proper taxes where it should be has a lot to do with the spending problem.

why should our country which has the most powerful economy ever in the history of the world behave like a poor country with so much concern about cost? it makes no sense, we are rich and powerful so why are we hesitating to tax the crap out of the rich when trillions are sitting in their banks wasting away.

imagine just through a tax increase having 2 or 3 trillion or more to spend... we could quickly become unmatched as a nation and it would be impossible to ever catch up to us unless you are india and china with much larger populations and potentially more rich people someday.

Raise the tax on the rich and they will move their business to another country or push that cost down to the people consuming their products. We already tried the taxing the rich scheme, which is why a lot of the middle class wage jobs have moved overseas and killed our job market.

ETA: It doesn't help that our politicians actually work for these same people for a campaign donation instead of the American people as a whole.
edit on 11-8-2017 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2017 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
A- Taxing the rich out of house and home won't help a whole lot, as they will cut back on certain resources to maintain profit increase (such as labor)

B- Expanded medicaid causes prices to soar for everyone paying their own respective premiums. The more on medicaid, the more emergency room visits will be provided, as most doctors offices refuse the majority of medicaid plans. Those costs are astronomical, with a large portion of the additional cost being passed on to the non-subsidized insurance plan holder, jacking up their premiums and deductibles, simultaneously lowering the overall percentage of coverage the plan actually allows (as it has been doing since the ACA was passed). doing so will produce unsustainable costs, which would lead to:

C- A universal health system much like our Northern Neighbors where (for arguments sake and that I like big numbers) a Canadian citizen making 100,000 a year is paying an ADDITIONAL $10,000 in taxes , not to mention higher taxes on fuel and overall purchased goods, which adds up greatly, to pay for the universal healthcare.... Care that is prioritized and at a lower standard to ours.

You also proposed a minimum income (wages, possibly complimented by SS, to reach a set "standard of living") that would set us on a spiral to collapse: keep taxing the rich, they keep cutting back on labor, less people have money, more need social security, and the cycle doesn't end. Not to mention, it is virtually the same thing as having people on food stamps and cash help, as a supplemented income would in essence be the same thing...... All you did was change the name of it.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
You're not alone. A lot experts agree that the most likely way this country gets to single-payer is by so expansion of medicare and medicaid applicability. Until basically everyone who needs it (i.e. most people) can get it.

I'm not saying this will happen. But if single-payer ever happens in this country that is the most likely road by which we get there.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

cost of paying workers being too high in america to profit and dirt cheap in china, india, other asian countries and automation are what caused those companies to move, not taxes and even then plenty of good jobs exist that are being ignored by most people.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
A- Taxing the rich out of house and home won't help a whole lot, as they will cut back on certain resources to maintain profit increase (such as labor)

B- Expanded medicaid causes prices to soar for everyone paying their own respective premiums. The more on medicaid, the more emergency room visits will be provided, as most doctors offices refuse the majority of medicaid plans. Those costs are astronomical, with a large portion of the additional cost being passed on to the non-subsidized insurance plan holder, jacking up their premiums and deductibles, simultaneously lowering the overall percentage of coverage the plan actually allows (as it has been doing since the ACA was passed). doing so will produce unsustainable costs, which would lead to:

C- A universal health system much like our Northern Neighbors where (for arguments sake and that I like big numbers) a Canadian citizen making 100,000 a year is paying an ADDITIONAL $10,000 in taxes , not to mention higher taxes on fuel and overall purchased goods, which adds up greatly, to pay for the universal healthcare.... Care that is prioritized and at a lower standard to ours.

You also proposed a minimum income (wages, possibly complimented by SS, to reach a set "standard of living") that would set us on a spiral to collapse: keep taxing the rich, they keep cutting back on labor, less people have money, more need social security, and the cycle doesn't end. Not to mention, it is virtually the same thing as having people on food stamps and cash help, as a supplemented income would in essence be the same thing...... All you did was change the name of it.

taxing the rich 5 to 10 percent more of their income is all that i want so they pay about as much as the middle class.

whoever said expansion? i stated that bureaucracy was standing in the way and costing a lot of money and with it removed as i proposed, we would not need to waste so much to cover more and even then more people would not suddenly become poor, disabled or old.

health insurance would still exist and due to less influence from disabled, elderly or poor who can't pay but still need healthcare, it would cost far less.

i think you should know i see the french model where they can choose private, government or both as more similar to what i said we already have which is being hindered by unnecessary bureaucracy.

that last one perfectly demonstrates the unnecessary fear and paranoia americans have which results in excessive bureaucracy being created to assuage their unfounded fears and distrust, that is why we waste so much money when it's completely unnecessary.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Define rich?

My name is Rich.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
You know. Most people in hospitals are there because of cold and flu symptoms that migrate to infections. So now hospitals are flooded with this crap because one simple thing.

I can go to walmart and buy enough sleeping pills to kill me or put me in coma yet I can't get simple antibiotics or amaxi. Need doctors prescription. It's ridiculous. Don't say allergies either. Peanuts kill and they are sold everywhere.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join