It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haruo Nakajima, the Original Godzilla Actor, Passes Away at 88

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Haruo Nakajima, the Japanese actor who played the movie monster Godzilla in a dozen films and whose booming steps in a 200-pound rubber suit sent the denizens of Tokyo running into cinematic history, died on Monday. He was 88. His daughter, Sonoe Nakajima, said the cause was pneumonia. She did not say where he died. Mr. Nakajima was a 25-year-old stunt actor with just four movies to his credit when he was cast in what are perhaps Japan’s two most famous films of that era, both released in 1954: Akira Kurosawa’s masterpiece “Seven Samurai,” in which he had a bit part, and “Godzilla.” In “Godzilla” he played the title character: a gigantic, irradiated lizard whose mutated form and destructive power wreak havoc on Tokyo. The first movie in a long-running franchise, it was released nine years after the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as a not-so-thinly veiled fable about the dangers of nuclear weapons.

www.nytimes.com...
A damn shame. Though at-least he was able to live a long life.

edit on 9-8-2017 by Grik123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Grik123

I have great memories of these movies.

I always feel strange about actors like this.

He did a terrific job and played an iconic character known the world over, but due to the costume, very few would recognize him.

But he is immortalized as a character that brought joy to countless people. May he rest in peace.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This one is for him, one last time.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX
I think that this roar might be a little more fitting

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Used to love those movies either waiting for them to come on channel 17 on a Friday night or going to see them at the theater.LOL you would go to see the Godzilla vs the Smog Monster matinee and wind up staying for 3 showings before your mom or dad picked you up.

RIP

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Always loved those movies as a kid. I remember many a snow day spent watching Godzilla destroy kaiju. He will be missed!

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Here's one for the memories..

new topics

top topics

join