It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Longer In a Desired Demographic

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Ummm........That was awesome.

Never would have figured you in your 50's. Must be some truth in that statement.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Yep, I'm in basically the same place.

The current celebrates are unknown to me and I could care less, in fact I'm irritated by them. The super young looking models and actors seem like little kids to me. Modern beauty and youthfulness have zero appeal except for the occasional natural beauty I see in actual people out in public, preferably without being made up and in regular street clothes. The music, well my taste is rather specific, I'd rather hear a live band with a rough mix making a few mistakes than hearing some pop singer with a perfect backup band using an auto-tuner, man that grinds me!

Most popular tech, I avoid it. I used to be right up on all the new tech advances, now I feel that a phone is just for making phone calls, the hell with texting and having an internet connection and all the social media. Online gaming on a high speed connection, screw that! Most I'd do is catch some music or old TV programs online, not that I have a high speed connection anyways.

Going out on the town and hitting up all the parties, forget it, nothing good happens when you leave the farm, plus I've found that most of the people I would socialize with are fair weather friends that could give a crap about me. Keeping up with the Jones', to hell with that, I'm fine with what I've got for the most part.

I could go on, but you get the picture I'm sure.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I´m just 31, and I feel the same way. Especially the movie & music part...

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I'm 46 but have felt largely as you do for many years.
I don't find the popular sitcoms funny.
The new music sucks.
Movies are typically a disappointment.
Cars all look alike.
I can't stand craft beers.

I found myself watching YouTube videos on rebuilding hot wheels cars last night.
Wtf?

Yet I'm very content with my life and never bored.

The world is screwed up buddy, not you.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Thought you were talking about me.

Although I am now 63-something happened in my early 50's-I don't shop anymore. Could care less about what I wear. Moved to Florida and wore old shorts and t-shirts, went barefoot except for the occasional flip flops and absolutely no makeup.

I drive a 12 year old car - never wash it. Left real estate 6 years ago and threw away my cell phone (I hated being on call all the time.) I used to be a big shot at church, big volunteer and felt I had to be careful about my opinions being spoken-had a real uptight know it all everything for how it looked ex.

FREEDOM! Now I say what I want-choose my own opinions without a political membership agenda and could care less who disagrees or what anyone thinks of me. I know me and I'm ok with me.

Haven't been to a movie theatre in a decade nor have cable tv.

My health is not the best but otherwise-for the first time in my life I feel free- oh, I love it and would never want to go back.

edit on 9-8-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
No, you're not alone.

Pop-culture these days is trash for the most part. There is nothing that's can't miss on TV. I still do enjoy football in the fall but they're working very hard to ruin that.

I love my family, and I love good food.

But I don't need things ... heck most of my work clothing has been in service now for nearly 10 years. I need to update it a bit, but every time I think I could pull the trigger on something new, I think, "Meh."

God could come pluck me out of here tomorrow, and I wouldn't be sorry to leave if I knew my family was coming too.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I turn 51 this Fall and I can relate.

Thing is: I live way out here in the woods, don't watch TV and try to have little to do with the rest of the world as I can.

We had satellite TV way out here years ago, but I realized how much money I was wasting, paying big $$ for just a handful of channels that I actually watched, while ignoring the rest. I realized that I could stream whatever I wanted on my computer.

So that means I watch what I want, and the only commercials I see anymore might be pop-up ads on web sites.

I don't listen to the radio either, but instead listen to my own collection of music.

Most of my contact of the outside world is here in ATS since I don't watch news wither, hehehe. So it's y'all that are keeping me informed.

I will say this though: People have changed, and not just young or old, but all of them. And the way they've changed is that little damn rectangle they keep staring at and swiping.

Those damn smart phones. I can remember walking around in public and people were looking up and around. In today's world though, seems like damn near everyone is walking around with their eyes glued to their damn phones.

One other thing I've noticed, but I put this down on me: the air, skies and lighting seemed a lot more vibrant when I was a kid in the 1970s compared to now. Sky seemed bluer, air seemed more crisp and fresh, and the world just seemed more colorful.
However, I think that's just my old eyes, old nose and old everything, hehehehe.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I'm 26 and most days I agree with you.

I used to blare my music (well sometimes still do) but now when a part comes on talking about, how the singer or rapper is going to have sexual contact with the woman he is rapping about, I get grossed out and have to turn it down. I'm growing up to be a Prude lol!!!! I just can't stand it, I dont' want to hear it, I don't want my neighbors kids to hear it when they are playing outside etc....

Ugh.

Don't get me started on movies. Haven't seen a good movie since like.... Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, & Last King of Scotland

-Alee

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

turn down that damn racket you call music! And get a damn haricut!

Yes, you are getting old.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
60+ and risking everything, financially and emotionally on a new business venture. Nothing like pushing the envelope to keep you feeling excited and passionate. I feel blessed to live in a country where opportunities are basically unlimited. It's the possibility of losing your ass that keeps it real....
edit on 9-8-2017 by olaru12 because: hi brenda!!

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
There's a lot of things I miss from my youth, the sight of the sun rising over the Palatine Hill and bathing the Forum in its rays, the smells of the agorae as vendors opened their stalls for business, lute players serenading the throngs as they made their way to the Circus Maximus where thundering chariots ploughed around the immense oval, the screams of the convicts as they were executed in the Coliseum. Ahhh, days gone by.

edit on 9-8-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
"I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you!"

- Abraham Simpson

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
"I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you!"

- Abraham Simpson

It's not weird and scary. It's mostly just stupid.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Is it just this particular enclave of ATS that seems to be growing weary of the push for immorality, and the move to desensitize us to almost everything we once viewed as evil?

It seems the majority of the people posting here agree with you, and do not like or agree with the deterioration of our society, yet it is not slowing down.

The movie and music industry thrives off of dollars. Would they continue to make such crap if we aren't spending our hard earned dollars on the crap they are distributing?

I heard some of the vilest lyrics I have ever heard earlier this week, just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.

I am not sure it is even about the money anymore.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

When it comes to movies, I've seen headlines all over about the lousy box office and this is a trend. Movies that do well seem to almost exclusively do well overseas these days.

So they aren't even really selling to Americans anymore for the most part.

As for music, I don't even know. I find stuff I like on Pandora, so does my husband. Some of it is popular rock but some of it is German metal and techno too. At least when they sing in a foreign language, you don't know what they're actually saying. But mass market pop is sort of soul crushing and when I see the commercials for the compilations of what they call "Kids Pop" on the kids' stations on cable, some of those songs don't really have kid-friendly themes when you get into them.

And TV is just ... I don't even know where to start there. Even the so-called learning channels like Discover, Animal Planet, Nat. Geo. and Science are losing quality all the time.

I do get a kick out of watching The Amazing Dr. Pol though.
edit on 9-8-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

The movie and music industry thrives off of dollars. Would they continue to make such crap if we aren't spending our hard earned dollars on the crap they are distributing?

Then produce your own media content. Tell your story!!
Todays technology puts new media within everyones grasp. It's much more productive than bitching about the sorry state of affairs in the entertainment industry.

Start here.....

www.celtx.com...

Join us, the indy world is vibrant and exciting!

edit on 9-8-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Truth bomb

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

If you are talking about self satisfaction, you are right. Any one can pick up and instrument or compile their own music.

If you are talking about creating your own music for mass public distribution, then that is another story. Ask any popular musician about that. Start with Lauren Hill and Taylor Swift.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: YouSir

Ummm........That was awesome.

Never would have figured you in your 50's. Must be some truth in that statement.

Ummm...yessir...I sure can be an irreverent ass...but it's all in good fun...

I think it ultimately comes down to outlook...outlook and attitude...coupled with a ceaseless raw search for amazement...sometimes you've got to look for the wonder...but it is there...it's always there...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And TV is just ... I don't even know where to start there. Even the so-called learning channels like Discover, Animal Planet, Nat. Geo. and Science are losing quality all the time.

I don't trust any of them any more after the Bill Nye the Vagina Guy presentation.

I suggest homeschooling and watching the movies and videos before hand or with your children. The crap I see them throwing into movies, TV series, even commercials can't be described as innocent.

I only watch TV when I am with my mother and she is watching it. Even she says she is disgusted with what they put on TV these days. She spends most of her time watching Me TV, it shows just the really old shows.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join