It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prof lets students choose own grades for 'stress reduction'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
One more reason for the list of reasons I will not hire anyone with a degree from an american educational institution.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Although I may not agree on his methods, I'm honestly curious of the outcomes of this approach and if it has a negative or positive influence on one's education.

(And spare me the hyperbolic political comments, it's old)

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: seasonal

Feelings! Nothing more that feelings!

Sing it with me!

What happens when these kids get to the real world and ask their boss to adjust their work review?

I'd get a real quick wage adjustment if I brought this crap to work

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: essentialtremors

liberal

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: essentialtremors
Although I may not agree on his methods, I'm honestly curious of the outcomes of this approach and if it has a negative or positive influence on one's education.

(And spare me the hyperbolic political comments, it's old)

If you applied his method to economics (government prints more money in order to pay off the national debt) money would lose it's value because of hyper inflation. Same thing here. The grades wouldn't really mean anything because most people would give themselves a grade they don't really deserve. Your GPA wouldn't mean squat when you went to apply for a job because everyone would know it isn't real. Basically it's a stupid idea.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Sure. Sure. Come, join the work force. We cant wait to see you here!...

edit on 8 7 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Bu

originally posted by: seasonal

liberal

LoL
In some ways, yeah.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

All in good fun.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

I see where you're coming from.

The prof is actually giving them more responsibility of their own grades on a psychological level, I suppose thats why I'm interested in the outcomes.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Well if you enacted this policy you would make your degree meaningless. And people that graduated from your college won't be able to find a job.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: essentialtremors
a reply to: Khaleesi

I see where you're coming from.

The prof is actually giving them more responsibility of their own grades on a psychological level, I suppose thats why I'm interested in the outcomes.

I can see why you find it interesting on a psychological level. I guess I'm just cynical on this one. We are talking about students that are usually ranging in age from 18-22. Usually first time away from home. Some are more responsible than others. Most are going to have some problems dealing with that. Getting a low grade should be a wake up call for them to realize they may not be putting enough time in studying. If they are studying a lot, they may need to get some advice on learning to study efficiently. It's all about actions and consequences. Learning to change your actions after receiving a consequence you don't like is part of growing up. Sometimes you need to receive some tough consequences in order to convince you that you are making mistakes and need to change your actions in order to get a better outcome. This professor is taking away the consequences that would normally be a major clue that they need to change their actions.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Feelings! Nothing more that feelings!

Sing it with me!

What happens when these kids get to the real world and ask their boss to adjust their work review?

They'll be offered the option to do their own reviews and grant themselves raises of course.

😄

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
All class rooms should have hooks in the ceiling and provide ropes and stools.

Oh, you're "unduly stressed"?
Well heres your rope and stool. Instructions are included on the bottom side of the stool in case you're too stupid to figure it out.

People like this are of no use to the future of the human race. You know the ones I mean.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   

maybe #BLM?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Just another day in the Monty Python world of American academia.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   
You just can't make this # up. In-freakin-believable. Remind me why we're all supposed to be going to college? Oh yeah...to make those who own them and run them rich. Silly me.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   
If a kid in high school back in the 80's said sh#t like that, they would have been laughed out of the classroom. Christ, times have changed.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: oriondc
I am a college prof. and cannot see this being acceptable to any institution's administration. Academic integrity is very important, and that includes proper assessment. The ultimate result of grade inflation is that the degree/credential earned loses its value. Also, regional accrediting agencies can get involved and the institution can lose its accreditation, meaning federal financial aid won't pay for students to attend there. So basically yeah, this could be a huge problem for them if true.

But what about their feelings? Perhaps the school should instead provide a safe space? Does your school provide a safe space?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I'm starting to think that all of this university nonsense is just a new form of the CIA's mind control experiments. Imagine if we could turn the citizens of our enemy countries in whining children who can't psychologically handle even the most trivial of life's "challenges" that respond by throwing tantrums and rioting.
Something is going on here and it's not normal at all.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Universities and colleges are already offering meaningless courses such as gender/feminist/women's studies, so why not have meaningless grades as well?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join