It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prof lets students choose own grades for 'stress reduction'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Dr. Richard Watson has a way to reduce student stress.

University of Georgia professor has adopted a “stress reduction policy” that will allow students to select their own grades if they “feel unduly stressed” by the ones they earned.

According to online course syllabi for two of Dr. Richard Watson’s fall business courses, he has introduced the policy because “emotional reactions to stressful situations can have profound consequences for all involved.”
www.campusreform.org...

If a student feels stressed by a grade they earned, email the professor with the grade they thing is appropriate and boom grade changed. No explanation required. Gosh I wonder how this will turn out?

As such, if students feel “unduly stressed by a grade for any assessable material or the overall course,” they can “email the instructor indicating what grade [they] think is appropriate, and it will be so changed” with “no explanation” being required.

“If in a group meeting, you feel stressed by your group’s dynamics, you should leave the meeting immediately and need offer no explanation to the group members,” the policy adds, saying such students can “discontinue all further group work” with their remaining grade being “based totally on non-group work.”

edit on 7-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Feelings! Nothing more that feelings!

Sing it with me!

What happens when these kids get to the real world and ask their boss to adjust their work review?

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Dafuq

My I.Q. just jumped off a cliff. Professor Snowflake better lose his job if this story is legit.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

If this is legit, I wonder if the professor was it doing out of fear for his safety?

One time I happened to have a conversation with a professor who although hates Trump and is not a conspiracy theorist, told me that if he doesn't play ball with regressive leftists in his college, he'll lose his job and that he only told this with a few people including me.

Now he doesn't have a tenure but even if he does, he would probably would face violence from antifa/BLM.

edit on 8/7/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Ah....America, the land of the brave, the Land of The Free!

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Next.... Judges who let you pick your own sentence if you feel unduly stressed by....

I can't even finish that sentence.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I am a college prof. and cannot see this being acceptable to any institution's administration. Academic integrity is very important, and that includes proper assessment. The ultimate result of grade inflation is that the degree/credential earned loses its value. Also, regional accrediting agencies can get involved and the institution can lose its accreditation, meaning federal financial aid won't pay for students to attend there. So basically yeah, this could be a huge problem for them if true.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

I think women should let men..... Well you finish the thought.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Like we dont have enough people in this country with degrees that don't seem smart enough to flip burgers .
What could go wrong with this bright idea .?
You need a collage degree to work at the Verizon store , but most of them working there have no idea what is going on, my son knows more about their job than they do .
He has done things on our phones that the people at the store couldn't figure out and he is just out of high school.
edit on 7090000008 by JHumm because: Add content

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: oriondc

There are many many things that are going on in the high priced university world that shouldn't happen.

The leader ship the admin is giving is nothing short of silly.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Please stop microaggresing me. I'm feeling really, like, oppressed...or something.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Cool.

Hopefully this makes it's way to the UK.

Then I can change the B i got in A-level history into an A*

I wouldn't have had to redo my first year at university which I failed either.

/sarc

I hope this guy is fired. If this reaches widespread usage in his institution then it's degrees will be utterly worthless, and if it goes national almost all degrees will be worth less than the toilet paper they'll presumably be printed on.

I wonder what subject it is he lectures on? Probably Gender Studies, or something equally ridiculous that is a complete waste of the university's resources to offer courses on.
edit on -050009pm8kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Post modern deconstructionist Marxist intellectualism theory and expressionist dance.

Did I pass???

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Who's stress was he really trying to reduce 🤔... his or the students ? Takes the pressure of grading and any accountability towards it . Pretty lame , but I do appreciate the fact he's open to discussing the grade . I think giving the student a fair voice is great, but not automatically changing the grade. It's a great opportunity for the prof to let his students know how they can improve.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Dude needs to start wearing a dunce cap on campus from now on then.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The policy statement has now been removed from the website apparently....I guess he found the publicity of his stupidity too stressful

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

The policy statement has now been removed from the website apparently....I guess he found the publicity of his stupidity too stressful

We should let the professor tell us what is OK to post on this thread.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I think it would be a hoot if this was all a slick way to get some research data.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I think it would be a hoot if this was all a slick way to get some research data.
Have a star for that.

Give yourself 20 or 30 too.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I don't have a problem with that. Whats one grade? Why ruin a career before it begins? New employees are in for big surprise(s) anyway. One is the enormous debt, the other the lack of jobs in their desired field and especially, School didn't prepare me for this.

God spare kids the other kind of teacher, the Dicks...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join