It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone have a schnauzer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Our baby is a BIG mini. 20lbs. He'll be 11 this year and he started getting schnauzer bumps recently. I know that they can't be cured but I don't know what else to try to ease his discomfort.

I have him on fish oil, we got special shampoo, and I even got coconut oil. Poor little guy. They drive him crazy. Be nice to commiserate with any other schnauzer owners.

Also, just want to say that I think they are the most amazing breed ever! I'll always have a schnauzer for the rest of my life. I think next time I might get two brothers.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: proloz

Yes. Several.

I found the bumps to be caused by hair cuts. We pick our groomers very very carefully. Always wash your dog before you take him to the groomers (start clean less likelihood of the infection that causes the bumps to begin with).

Talk to the groomers and ask them, "How do you keep complaints about this from cropping up." If they don't have a good answer, like, "By making sure we clean or trimmers and making sure the blades are sharpened every day (to prevent hair pulling)." Then ... you may want to shop around for another groomer.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Thank you for the fast reply. I'll have to talk to our groomer. They are very popular and I trust them, but never thought to really ask them questions like that.

Aren't they a wonderful breed? Just love their curious little bearded faces.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I don't have a Schnauzer, but as a (REAL
) dog owner (2 Belgian Malinois), I'd suggest you either consult with a vet or go on-line and check out Schnauzer breeders web sites....
I did a quick "Ooogle" and found this...
Schnauzer Bumps...

Best wishes for your 4-legged buddy and you.

edit on 852017 by BobbyRock because: spelling..... Damn, how I hate tiny keyboards

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: BobbyRock

LOL, thanks! You sound like my brother. He considers big dogs to be real dogs. He likes my dog of course, but he would never own a smaller dog. Although 20lbs for a mini is not very mini. It's pushing standard.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I'm more of road-mutt kind of guy.
They have far fewer health problems than pure breeds.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I love rescue dogs too! Our schnauzer was actually sort of a rescue. His owner was an elderly lady that travels a lot and she just wasn't home enough to properly care for him. Her neighbor bought the dog for her without her knowing.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I've had schnauzers all my life. I've never run into the bump problem. I'd suggest feeding a good food, not processed kibble. I use Freshpet refrigerated foods.

My girl is almost 12, about 10 pounds, name is Guinevere.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

edit on 5-8-2017 by YouSir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Don't discount CBD Oil in their food, especially the aged ones. I put a couple/few drops in "Shorty's" bowl and She now runs at the dog park, She is a Weimaraner/Terrier mix (She is MagWai's girlfriend. MagWai is My hermaphroditic AffensPinscher...)

The Coconut Oil is fantastic for their coats. Do Y'all go to a dog park? Do they have a pond there? The reason I ask, if I don't rinse 'Evven #7' (youngest Weimaraner) then the pond water will make Him itch..

Either way best of luck..

P.S. I enjoy picking up MagWai's poop than the bigger dog's poop..

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

That is my feeling too. Smaller dog, no land mine sized poos.

I live in a very rural area, no dog parks, but he's outside a lot. I have a fish pond but he doesn't go near it.

Heck, he HATES the water. Wish we could get him to swim in the pool.

I think the coconut oil has helped a bit. His coat is looking a bit better.

And I feed him really good food. Lots of fresh stuff.

top topics

join