It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Leftovers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Anyone watching this? I was hesitant to watch - as an atheist, I thought it might be too "religious" or "godly", as it were, but I'm mesmerized by it. Really didn't expect that. I'm actually almost to the end - at season 3 ep 5 - and what strikes me the most is the acting - the acting is really phenomenal. I am really surprised it hasn't gotten more awards. I'm especially intrigued by Scott Glenn and Christopher Eccleston - that episode of Kevin Sr in Australia I thought was amazing. And the music, particular the main piano music and the Pixies "Where is my Mind" - just really perfect for the show. And also I guess the unexpected - you really can't predict where the show is going and the situations and settings that arise, which is a good thing nowadays. Anyhow, anxious to see how things turn out for Kevin - don't tell me! Just curious if there's anyone else here who found this show.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Yup watched the first 2 seasons only just got season 3 over here
Was kinda wierdly mesmerized and binged watched both seasons. The acting is excellent although at times I confess to getting annoyed at no answers and kept seeing glimpses of "Lost" lol then I was totally blown away at the "reveal" from Nora in season 2. Great viewing

Looking forward to season 3 and hopefully some more answers!

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Seen it all and had very high expectations. First season was the best. Great stories and acting-kept you guessing. Second season was just ok-third season just ridiculous-I lost interest and respect and it blew the whole season for me.

I was disappointed because I had such high hopes. I am non-religious so I took it as just a story but it began so well and the writing at the end was not up to par. Justin Theroux was always great but never bought into Carrie Coon-maybe it was her yuck character or her character in the series. Some of the minor chararcters did the best they could but in the end it wasn't worth my time, I really felt let down.

It got high ratings so maybe it's just me-I did have high expectations.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: redtic

I like that it had an ending that I found satisfying and didn't jerk the audience around with too many unexplained details. Overall I thought the acting was brilliant and the characters very compelling.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: redtic

I loved the first two seasons, but the third season I watched the first two, and just could not get into it. I am going to finish it soon, as the third season is the final season.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I tried to watch the first episode but was turned away by the show thinking that all us non-christians us the F word in every other sentence we speak. That made the show a bit unrealistic to me. I don't care to hear the F word so much anyway.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Yeah, one of the best dramas in years and a deep meditation on grief, the human condition and the deep weirdness of the human experience. I thoroughly enjoyed it... glad some others are, too.

eta: and to the folks turned off thinking it's a "Christian Show" poking at non-religious folks... uh, no ... it is NOT though it's art is good enough to let folks see whatever they want in it, I guess
edit on 8/5/2017 by Baddogma because: add

edit on 8/5/2017 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Yeah, one of the best dramas in years and a deep meditation on grief, the human condition and the deep weirdness of the human experience. I thoroughly enjoyed it... glad some others are, too.

eta: and to the folks turned off thinking it's a "Christian Show" poking at non-religious folks... uh, no ... it is NOT though it's art is good enough to let folks see whatever they want in it, I guess

Agreed - I didn't get that at all. Like I said, I'm a pretty staunch atheist and, while the show certainly has religious themes, I never felt like it was preaching at me or against me. It's a surreal situation and premise, with a rapture-like event happening and the rest of society trying to cope with it. And you're right - in the end, it's a story on the human condition and relation in the midst of a fantastical setting. And even though it's fantastical, it is still very relatable - as with a lot of these alternate world type shows, I always want to be surprised, but I always want to be able to say "yeah, that makes sense - I can see people doing that in that extreme context", and this show does it for me. I can see a cult like the GR forming as a result of the departure, I can see families fracturing like they do here, and I can see some weird sh!t happening in a bizarro world like that. So, yeah, the characters *feel* real, are relatable, and the story kinda sucks you in.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
Yup watched the first 2 seasons only just got season 3 over here
Was kinda wierdly mesmerized and binged watched both seasons. The acting is excellent although at times I confess to getting annoyed at no answers and kept seeing glimpses of "Lost" lol then I was totally blown away at the "reveal" from Nora in season 2. Great viewing

Looking forward to season 3 and hopefully some more answers!

You know, I thought of Lost more than once while watching - which I guess isn't surprising considering this is Lindelof-driven. I can definitely see some of Jack in Kevin and vice versa.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Not sure I understand the hate for season 3. It seems to be setting up the finale pretty well, and I like the Australia track (especially Kevin Sr).

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I was in the final episode of season 3. You can see me in the party scene dancing in a green dress and overacting terribly. I'm not an actor just applied with my friends for some extra cash.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
I was in the final episode of season 3. You can see me in the party scene dancing in a green dress and overacting terribly. I'm not an actor just applied with my friends for some extra cash.

Woah thats pretty freakin awesome! Ill be sure to watch out for you when i get there.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Damn seems I have watched season 3 lol....what a shame

Now trying out Midnight Texas since I was a huge True Blood fan

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
FWIW, I thought the 3rd season was the best, the last 2 episodes the best episodes, and the ending a perfect ending for the show. And I'll leave it at that.

top topics

join