It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon concerned over Turkey plan to buy Russian S-400 missiles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
www.hurriyetdailynews.com...

The Pentagon on July 31 criticized Turkey’s plans to purchase a Russian air-defense system instead of investing in NATO technology.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is in talks to get Russia to supply Ankara with its latest S-400 surface-to-air missile system.

Pentagon spokesman Navy Captain Jeff Davis said the Pentagon had concerns over its NATO ally’s purchase of the Russian technology because it might not work with other equipment used by the 29-nation alliance.

“Generally speaking it’s a good idea for allies to buy inter-operable equipment,” Davis said.

“With any ally, with any partner with whom we inter-operate ... we want them to buy things and invest in things that will further invest in our alliance.”

Turkish media have in recent days reported that the deal is being finalized with Russia.

Turkey's decision to buy the S 400 missile system from Russia is a big deal. It will give Turkey considerable leverage in the region, independent leverage, or should I say leverage independent of its principle NATO ally, the United States. I think this is a signal from Turkey that American plans in the region, especially plans for Iran and the Kurds, will have to provide more than lip service to Turkey's perceived interests.

And then there is the matter of the coup attempt of last year. Turkey believes that the American military were involved in the coup attempt and that the Americans are protecting the alleged Turkish ringleader of the coup, Fethulla Gulen, whom they want handed over to them.

This missile purchase, presuming it is finalized, is a very jarring development that shows that the Turks are not happy with their relationship with the US or with the relationship with the European Community, the principle members of which are NATO allies.

Now they have interoperability with the Russians. Does that mean what I think it means? If it does, numerous unpleasant developments could arise. It is important to remember that the Turkish government led by Recep Erdogan has tens of thousands of ideologically "questionable" Turkish citizens in jail and is still arresting people.

Overall, things do not look good for US/Turkey relations.
edit on 3-8-2017 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Maybe Russia won't be as butt hurt when it's one of their missiles that down a Russian jet....

All kidding aside, I think there is at least a perception we may have been behind the coup.

Ever since then they sure have been cozzying up to Russia.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Not surprising, really.

What Erdogan needs right now is an external enemy/threat to appeal to turkish nationalism and solidify his rule. USA and Europe are great for that, as demonstrated by Putin.

Turkey is on the best way to become a califate of sultan Erdogan.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

They should never have trusted Turkey. What were they even thinking.

Stop trying to make Turkey an ally. They will betray everyone eventually.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Erdie is a dictator. Turks are everywhere in many countries. If Erdie whistles they will be the invading army of him. Poor Europe.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
We call this Plan B.

Yea they should be concerned. Turkey looks out for Turkey and so far, Turkey is bout dat Eurodragon. And Eurodragon is all about Eurodragon, sticky.

In essence, i'll translate, Turkey is starting to pivot out of our influence. We are staying aware of the situation.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Hmm...

I get it...

Take out a Russian jet, buy a missile system to keep from being carpet bombed.

Diplomacy at it's finest.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
With S-400 batteries distributed to bases from Incirlik eastward in southern Turkey, the Turks will be able to impact all air operations related to Kurdish movements in Syria and Northern Iraq.

This is a serious imposition on the State Department's Kurdish agenda. Nobody but the United States wants an independent Kurdish national entity in the region. It's one of the most important common interests of the Iranians, Turks and the central government in Iraq.

It raises the question of whether American foreign policy in the region has, at last, shot its bolt. ISIS and the Kurds are still in play, but without trouble free American air support over Kurdish ground forces it is almost certain that the clock is ticking on their hopes.
edit on 3-8-2017 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The proliferation of missiles and bombs makes those of us who follow bible prophecy concerned, as we watch the world set up for Armageddon. Or so it appears. It seems closing in at an unprecedented speed. Atheists need not respond, it's a believer thing and you have your own thoughts.
www.revelationofjesus.net...

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Oh turkey... dont you know the russians have backdoors in those and if they choose to swoop in they will turn them off and bomb them.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Makes a lot of sense, Turkey is supposed to be in NATO whose main purpose is to be an alliance against Russia so Turkey buys their super weapons!

Who is Turkey worrying about? It can’t be Russia though in NATO the basic enemy is Russia.

Does not make any sense...

Unless Turkey and Russia just wants to mess around with the US’S head

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
If Russia is smart, they put a little computer chip in there that will disable the missile with the correct signal sent.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Oh turkey... dont you know the russians have backdoors in those and if they choose to swoop in they will turn them off and bomb them.

What ... the US missiles do not have that feature? That is just BS.

If that feature was real, the manufacturer would never sell another system.

Additionally, this is why you have your own techs go over the system before putting it in place.

P

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I bet both Russia and NATO (US system) have a backdoor and secret vulnerability in the system. It's a safe guard to prevent own system being used against them.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Watching how its not going to the US's plan then next place the US can shift their troops to is Idlib That is where the nasty really bad boys are wanting to call home so it will be the US to do it or the US with the Syrians/Russians/Turks/Iraq and Iranians or they can just pack up and leave ... I read that there may be a spot for some US peacekeepers on the Golan but Israel said no ...what can you do eh .

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Echo007

I think the s300 is a turn key but the s400 comes with a Russian operator . not sure but I think I read that somewhere .

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

Additionally, this is why you have your own techs go over the system before putting it in place.

P

F-35 i believe has it in there export models. The USA can switch can render the software inoperable. Only the USA and I think UK has access to the source code so if the USA decides to junk the software the other countrys with the exception of the UK and israel (who wrote there own source code if i remember) are left with $200 million lumps of useless metel.
edit on 4-8-2017 by InsaneIthorian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Many countries are concerned over US plans to gain hegemony of the world. Funny how that never gets reported in the media.

dunno why but we only ever seem to get told about the bad deeds of countries not an American 'protectorate'. You know, for the life of me, I just cant think why that happens.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: InsaneIthorian

originally posted by: pheonix358

P

F-35 i believe has it in there export models. The USA can switch can render the software inoperable. Only the USA and I think UK has access to the source code so if the USA decides to junk the software the other countrys with the exception of the UK and israel (who wrote there own source code if i remember) are left with $200 million lumps of useless metel.

Ding ding sing. its called defending your interest against your own technology. At least the U S is telling people up front about this kill switch. its practically built in and a key part of the OS. Its in the contract somewhere i am sure.

top topics

join