It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Do not] Adjust your [screaming fit] adamance re: [impossible] discovery - Time demands it!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

I'm a generalist. I didn't go to University/ College here in the UK due to family problems at the time I would have been expected to go. Despite this, I have retained my original capacity to understand the general principles of all manner of fields of study in the realm of science & technology. My careers advice was either:

a) Become an officer in the Royal Marines, or

b) Get into design & technology, with some sort of engineering degree.

Over time, the family issues which prevented my progress at the time in which it would have been expected, subsided, and indeed I married, and started my own family. There have been a series of unfortunate events since, which eventually incapacitated me due to a neuroogical condition. As a result, I have a lot of time on my hands, and so despite being frequently physically & mentally incapacitated by severe pain, in between these times I can usually muster enough concentration to research topics which interest me online, and indeed it's become part of my plethora of coping strategies which help me to dissociate from the experience of pain.

So, I am a generalist, with a keen interest in science & tech, plus a measure of strategic intuition (which the computers picked up on by recommending the Royal Marines).

Onward:

TIME CRYSTALS. They do exist. They are a newly understood phase of matter, distinct from anything we have theorised or encountered previously. Here is a quote from the first in a series of articles on the subject which can be found on the Science Alert website (the site has been following Time Crystal developments like a hawk, and the whole series of articles will be linked at the foot of this OP).

First proposed by Nobel-Prize winning theoretical physicist Frank Wilczek back in 2012, time crystals are hypothetical structures that appear to have movement even at their lowest energy state.

This ability violates a fundamental symmetry in physics called time-translation symmetry, but physicists have now demonstrated that it might actually be possible for time crystals to physically exist.

If none of this makes sense to you, don’t worry, we’ll run you through the backstory.

In 2012, Wilczek and a team of theoretical physicists at MIT suggested that it could be possible to add a fourth dimension - the movement of time - to a crystal, imbuing it with the ability to act as a kind of perpetual 'time-keeper', or clock.

In basic terms, Wilczek envisioned an object that could achieve everlasting movement by periodically moving and then returning to its original state over and over again in its lowest-energy state - known as its ground state.

As the energy of the ground state is known as the zero-point energy of a system, it means movement should theoretically be impossible - but perhaps not for time crystals.

As Bob Yirka explains for Phys.org, Wilczek proposed that it could be possible to construct a time crystal using a low temperature superconductor, because crystals naturally align themselves at low temperatures.

"[I]t seemed reasonable to assume that the atoms in such a crystal could conceivably move or rotate and then return to their natural state naturally, continually, as crystals are wont to do as they seek a lowest energy state," says Yirka.

The idea was that a ring of ions inside the crystal could be made to move independently inside the crystal - like a mouse exploring the inside of a snake's stomach - but he couldn't figure out how to build such a thing.

FlyInTheOintment: What a curious analogy..!!!

Within months, a separate team of physicists from Purdue University jumped in and said Wilczek’s plan could work - they just needed better ion traps, which was something that would conceivably be developed within the next few years.

Fast-forward to now....

And so within moments of contemplating this possibility, we can see that in more than one regard, this 'impossibility', a claim of zero point energy/action in a controlled system, a claim that violates the 'fundamental laws of physics', has been theoretically cut down to size. Should we therefore by now have started to realise that our 'impossibilities' are nothing more that a HUGE FAILURE OF SCIENTIFIC IMAGINATION, combined with a hefty dose of I MUST PROTECT THE SANCTITY OF MY THEORY.

Of course, if we fail to prepare, we prepare to fail, and so in my opinion, time crystals represent the single most stark & bloody obvious 'hint' from the Universe/God, that we simply cannot continue with this nonsensical attitude of 'I know my subject, and so X is impossible'. Newsflash, 21st Century Humans - Impossible is bunk. Until we step outside the bounds of our physical reality into the Land of Magonia, or when we send our first probe through the transition layers at the edge of the Universe, then we'd better accept that one man's impossibility is the Wright Brother's claim to immortality.

The next, very logical statement following on from the initial theorising referenced above was, naturally:

"We're gonna need a bigger Ion Trap..."(paraphrased)

Cue developments which came quick & fast, detailed in pleasant enough summary form in a sequence of articles on the Science Alert website as follows:

Physicists Just Created The World's First Time Crystal.......These things actually exist!

Scientists Have Confirmed a Brand New Phase of Matter: Time Crystals....... Constant motion without energy.

It's Official: Time Crystals Are a New State of Matter, And Now We Can Create Them....... Peer-review has spoken.

I had planned to write a detailed summary & further expound my own thoughts, but I figured perhaps I would hold back on my own thoughts for now, and therefore I invite people on ATS to look at what has been learned/ achieved so far, including following all relevant links into the veritable rabbit warren of interconnected articles, and to express their own thoughts on the subject. I will come back later to add my own initial conclusions, and I look forward to hearing your own musings.

In addition to the obvious insanity-grade of awesomeness which is the prospect of actual zero point energy, arising from the ground state oscillation effect of time crystals - there is another level of the 'We're gonna need a bigger boat' metaphor to be witnessed here, in glorious raiment demonstrating, hopefully once & for all, that a 'fundamental law', an 'impossibility', is nothing but the protection of established power trysts, and a huge failure of scientific imagination.

I read a synchronous comment in another thread this morning, to the effect that every 'impossibility' is nothing more than a challenge for the next generation. Is it not ridiculous to state that a thing is known in its completeness, when evidence arises each & every day, worldwide, for new & incredible advancements in our scientific knowledge?

And so, are we willing to give up our claim on absolutes of knowledge?

Perhaps..

edit on AugustThursday1718CDT05America/Chicago-050035 by FlyInTheOintment because: formatting, clarification

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

Very fascinating. Many years ago I had a vision about crystals and how they would be a way for us to store information that would not degrade even after millions of years. The storage capacity of a minute crystal on a molecular level is immense. Information will no doubt be stored on a molecular level and this relates to Quantum computing, too.

Computers will operate on a molecular level and information will move in huge amounts at the speed of light.

I am going to go way out here into sci fi. The most important part of our humanity is information. Our memories are all information. The patterns of our psyches is all information. Flesh is totally inferior and just a transient carriage that does not meet human desire for longevity of existence.

What the universe lacks is a means to immortalize the entities it manifests. It has to keep creating because it keeps destroying what it creates. All matter is totally unstable and totally transient. Imagine consciousness being able to move at the speed of light as an entity. I bet the Universe imagines it and is busily at it through humans. It is working something out through us. It sees us as a means to an end. None of this is by accident.

Maintaining the structure of our being, our consciousness and the ability to immortalize information: It is what Jesus spoke of and St.John in Revelation.

Is there enough material resource on this earth to propel us all the way to being free of matter? Just musings of my sci fi imagination.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   

That's one of the reasons when I hear someone say "It's settled science" I just immediately extricate myself usually from the debate. Science in rarely settled, and if we do decide to say everything in science is settled, how do we ever advance?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Excellent comments & I'm so glad that the first response to this thread is so thoughtful..!

I agree 100% that the Universe is 'working something out..through us', and I fully share your ideas on the generally transitory nature of these 'astral cars', these mortal bodies which carry 'us' along.

Information - an organised, energetically derived imprint, designed to be read, perhaps..? And although inferior storage can lose that information, it is my working assumption that information can never be destroyed, once realised in a conscious vessel. We are the storage, in part at least, and this accounts for our experience of NDE, reincarnation & the heavenly realms.

'Anamnesis' speaks of recalled memory which is known at a subconscious level, yet only shadows of hints are perceived at a conscious level - true anamnesis speaks of the retention of a detailed body of knowledge or innate skill/ memory of events, as having been accrued through the experience of previous lives. I have a personal connection to this strange phenomenon, as I seem to have an awareness (like muscle memory) of how to move 'Chi' through my body, despite never having trained in any martial art, let alone the true 'energy arts' of the ancient Orient. My physical health 'in this incarnation' has prevented me thus far from developing this strange intuitive memory any further. I do hope to practice Qi Gong, or Tai Chi, but it will require a massive commitment of time (& the will to suffer a corresponding heightening of pain) which I cannot fully commit to at this time.

Are we in fact, each of us, an unwitting data point, comprising a holographic record of everything we ever came into contact with/thought about, through aeons of existence? A singular point of consciousness which is ever adding to its knowingness, life after life? I do believe so, at least in a percentage of cases.

Oh, and then there's this, another synchronous step in developing our fullest understanding of the process of information awareness perhaps?

Eternal 5D data storage could record the history of humankind

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Reply to Seeker1963

That's one of the reasons when I hear someone say "It's settled science" I just immediately extricate myself usually from the debate.

Again, 100% agree. In the years from 2010-2020 we will have seen the true measure of how stubborn & ridiculous all claims of inerrancy were, arising from the bastions of the former scientific establishment over the decades (since WW2 specifically - though I suppose it's a trend of human behaviour which spans hundreds of thousands of years, when we get down to it..)

Quote from the final article I linked in the OP which also lays into this aspect of the wide scope situation we're facing down with regards to 'infallible' positions of science..

Two separate research teams managed to create what looked an awful lot like time crystals back in January, and now both experiments have successfully passed peer-review for the first time, putting the 'impossible' phenomenon squarely in the realm of reality.

"We've taken these theoretical ideas that we've been poking around for the last couple of years and actually built it in the laboratory," says one of the researchers, Andrew Potter from Texas University at Austin.

"Hopefully, this is just the first example of these [FITO - examples of theory-busting science?], with many more to come."

Time crystals are one of the coolest things physics has dished up in recent months, because they point to a whole new world of 'non-equilibrium' phases that are entirely different from anything scientists have studied in the past.

For decades, we've been studying matter, such as metals and insulators, that's defined as being 'in equilibrium' - a state where all the atoms in a material have the same amount of heat.

Now it looks like time crystals are the first example of the hypothesised but unstudied 'non-equilibrium' state of matter, and they could revolutionise how we store and transfer information via quantum systems.

I find it very interesting, telling even, that the immediate focus is placed upon the possibilities for improved data storage & quantum computing which these new understandings will allegedly bring. This fits the narrative of our present-day science goals almost too perfectly..?1?!

My instant reaction was that the most powerful application of this new knowledge will come when we design systems of energy generation based on the precept that these crystals have a form of perpetual motion, a ground-state oscillation which requires no energetic input, but which is capable of producing an energetic output.

Am I aone in thinking this is strange? Isn't it obvious that 'zero point energy' has just been discovered, but that the excitement is focused on computing applications? Surely we should be developing this squarely in the direction of solving for all eternity the energy needs of Earth? I have a suspicion therefore, that editorial sway might in fact be evident as utilised here, to shape the narrative, taking this amazing discovery by the nose & leading it away from its greatest possible practical application as THE energy solution Mankind needs more than anything else - instead by sleight of hand, shaping our perception & directing our attention towards something which was already quite successful and probably didn't need this discovery in the first place..

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Funny bumping into your post after watching this :>)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Amazing is that he was just banned by google and youtube for refusing to comply with using the proper gender pronouns. But yea, science.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

From one generalist to another, Good find!

What a great subject. First I heard of it.

Thanks for sharing.

S&F

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Really?
No? Really?????

That makes the blood boil.

I guess it could be used for free energy. FlyInTheOintment is right.

edit on 8 3 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Sept. 2016 -'Time Crystals' Could Exist
Jan. 2017 - Scientists Create A New Kind Of Matter: Time Crystals
March 2017 - Scientists Discover New State of Matter Called "Time Crystals"
And (same month) - graphene, burgers from stem cells, quantum computers and time crystals.. welcome to the future!

ATS has made lots of comments on time crystals!

If you dig a little further you come across this guy: Mikhail Lukin. He splits his time between Harvard and Russia working on quantum computers. His team has made time crystals. He wants to use them for a quantum computer. He’s also built a 51-qubit quantum computer simulator.

Time crystals are not impossible. It is just that the math works but they did not think it could made physically. They chained together atoms of ytterbium and dropped the temperature down to where quantum effects were demonstrated. Somebody named them "time crystals" because of the time symmetry and when chained together they are a crystal lattice.

Science Alert is OK for finding out an announcement on new science. But you should go look at the science being done. The "alerts" are like press releases and are passed off to "science" websites (or any news media) where they are re-posted, word for word, with little or no commentary. Most places don't bother to re-word the title either so you will see the same story, same title, at site, after site, after site.

Sorry you were late to the time crystal party! But then again, with time crystals, are you ever late?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Sorry you were late to the time crystal party! But then again, with time crystals, are you ever late?
lol... With the advent of quantum advances, even intel is scaling back and placing more attention on technology most people don't even know exists; because intellectual property is so closely guarded and profit is the prime motivator.

The academics have made some great discoveries but the real practical apps is still corporate.

quantum capitalism...aiw...
edit on 3-8-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

"Quantum magic" is what I've taken to call it.

There is a lot things that can be done if you can take the very small effects of the quantum world and manifest it in the macroworld. It is so strange at times that the term "magic" seems apt!

Little by little it will come out. Especially when quantum computers come around.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

sort of like that feynman quote. "it is not impossible to make things atom by atom." or something to that effect.. taken further it is not impossible to control things quanta by quanta..

then spooky action at a distance becomes instant communication to space ships. warping electrons becomes warping... space ships.

i was kimd of talking about that the other day.. about my dream that involved the "infinity bus." it "goes anywhere at anytime to everywhere all the time." lol that was written on the bus in my dream. I was explainging it to my brother in the dream that because it was a dream we coukd control everything and using an infinity bus was a real good way to get right where and when we needed to go..

so i was sort of saying bending space time by pure force requires ungoldly ammounts of energy.. and that getting quantum effects to synch up throughout out an entire system.. who knows. I surely dont have the technical understanding. I do have the imagination for it though.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

"Nothing in physics prohibits us from engineering materials atom by atom..." I used to have it as my signature line for a bit. Basically, someday we will be able to when we get the tools.

QM keeps showing up this week!?? It has been around for nearly a hundred years. I was more into it back when I was studying computers. Fun stuff to think about but difficult to explain to others without having reference materials! lol. That is mostly because I don't state theories completely. Drives me nuts in an OCD perfectionist kind of way.

Infinity bus! Sure beats "TARDIS"!! It would always be blasting The Who, "Magic Bus" (synchronicity alert!). The TARDIS powered by a black hole--yeah, a lot of energy!

I wonder if there is website, "synchronicity alert"? You bring up the main page, select a topic, and a random bunch of things pop up like numbers, songs, quotes, and a joke of the day!

edit on 3-8-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: universe autocorrected me!

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Check this out!

ATS - Scientists Discover a Jewel at the Heart of Quantum Physics.

Theoretically, all this QM stuff that tends to bake your noodle might have a simpler method of understanding what is really at work. And it geometrical (at least when Slayer69 posted OP).

There was an update in March, 2017 on Wired: A Radical Vision of the Universe Returns to Electrify Physics.

They started with Feynman diagrams. Figured out a complete diagram for even simple QM interactions was unwieldy. Some discoveries were made in various branches of physics which reduced the maths. Then computer technology improved so they began to enter these "bootstrap" equations into computer models. A few successes and a few pauses meanwhile Slayer69's discovery happened. A few more people began trying things and the UPDATE is the amplituhedron might actually be part of a larger structure!

This is difficult to grasp and it is still a theory. One thing they did *not* do was describe space-time so it does not partake of being part of the equations. This could be a step towards the long sought Quantum Gravity Theory.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

yea the website is rwc.mylife.love

reality wide connections (rwc)

yesterday joe rogan was talking about furies and i was thinking about that idea like sex with an alien. some hot chick with fox ears.. just the idea of humans and psychology and what it mrans to beand what really does alien mean..

so todaymy girlfriend is like. " im an alien so you've had sex with an alien." its like she was answering my thoughts. i didnt tell her i was thinking about it.

those synchros are nuttier than time crysyals! and space plasmas and hyper dimensional unicorn solids combined!

err maybe its all the same thing.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

GF label: Keeper!

It may be a focus thing. Some people can focus and de-focus at will. Others, it is a conscious effort. Then there are the "floaters and drifters" that are open and receptive. I think you know where we belong!

I googled "time crystals" and got back a link to Pokeman: Sun and Moon! Did you know there might be a giant crystal in the earth core make the magnetic field?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

dude just an hour ago i made up a pokemin game called pokemon back of the house and pokemon front of the house..

i havnt thought of pokemon in years.. i wrote ridgeiotto on the risotto i made.. a joke on pidgeotto, a pokemon from pokemon red haha.

you especially set off my synchros.
brothers for real

earth core crystal..

thats a cool idea.

mmm new thought experiments.
gawd you guys gave me too much. dont know where or when to start.. maybe everywhen or manywheres??

or cheers

and yes.. Shes a keeper.

not of bees.. or mice or men. but a keeper indeed.

edit on 3-8-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Lucky for me today has been hurry up and wait day (send an email, wait for response, while waiting send another email or read about quantum crystals and Big Bang Triangles!)

Sometimes I don't even mention them to anybody. Just enjoy a chuckle and fist bump Universe for the share!

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 02:39 AM
link   

This is an excellent demonstration of science being performed even if it appears to break fundamental laws.

Scientific laws are simply theories that have been shown to be true in a multitude of well performed experiments. These laws and other theories prevent scientists from having to perform the same experiments over and over. It might stifle imagination a little but it is still the best way we know.

Arthur C Clarke wrote "If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible, he is almost certainly right; but if he says that it is impossible, he is very probably wrong."

PS Don't worry about not having a degree. You can easily learn any subject much quicker than a degree course. It is a bit of an Americanism that you cannot know about a subject unless you have a degree in it...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join