It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WH clarified Statue of Liberty Poem - Not actually part of American Values

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Todays WH press briefing discussing the new immigration policy being put forth included in interesting exchange between WH aide Steven Miller and CNN's Jim Acosta when they got into a bit of a row over the poem on the Statue of Liberty, "the New Colossus":

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Miller remarked in the briefing that the poem was added after the statue was built and was without significance. His exact words, "I don’t want to get off into a whole thing about history here, but the Statue of Liberty is a symbol of liberty and lighting in the world; it’s a symbol of American liberty lighting the world. The poem that you’re referring to was added later. It’s not actually part of the Statue of Liberty"

Just afterwards Steven and Jim have a back and forth on the English speaking requirement for the new immigration policy Trump's put forth, with Jim obviously referencing the lack of 'English Speaking' or a list of countries that are acceptable.

What say you ATS, is the poem indicative of American values or as Steven Miller suggest an afterthought added later and not indicative of American values?

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
it's indicative of american values as i understand them, although i am coming to understand more and more that many of my fellow american are operating more along the lines of i've got mine, screw everyone else.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
Just afterwards Steven and Jim have a back and forth on the English speaking requirement for the new immigration policy Trump's put forth, with Jim obviously referencing the lack of 'English Speaking' or a list of countries that are acceptable.

What say you ATS, is the poem indicative of American values or as Steven Miller suggest an afterthought added later and not indicative of American values?

I would suggest the poem references people who simply aren't a fit for their culture to come to this land and we will make our own culture.
The biggest issue is that the problemed areas aren't coming to the US in order to adopt a US culture, but instead wanting to install their homeland culture here..and often this is counter to our culture
This bit right here:

“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free

Hard to say that immigrants wanting to install sharia law and all that other malarky that will create subjegation and less liberty is in line with what the poem says.

And yes, the poem fits the values of the US perfectly. Miller is a fool, but he could simply take a moment to read what it says and understand it...but he is probably also a moron and wouldn't get past the bit about poor homeless people wanting in anyhow.

(post by Christosterone removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

I take it you're a scientist or have your doctorate in something technical?

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

I would never discuss my education(or lack thereof) on this or any site...

My wife is an MD, FACEP if that helps....works at one of the largest level I trauma centers in America...

Compared to her, I'm just a mud fud...

To my point, however, you missed its logic entirely...

Prior to the late 1920s America had a "skim the cream" policy as it's immigration ethos...

Contrary to whatever rambling this may invoke in your triggered brain, the saying is not a racist one…
It simply means that since America was viewed the world over as the land of opportunity then why not choose the best of the best from the potential immigrant pool…

in short, America would skim the cream off the world to become the light of the west..

And this philosophy was proven time and again....most obviously when the greatest feat in the history of mankind occurred on a multi stage rocket designed by the Chief Administrator of NASA, Werner Von Braun(immigrant)...

I'd prefer more Von Brauns and less Tsarnaevs....

-Chris

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
My favorite part of that exchange was when Miller accused Acosta of "Cosmopolitan bias" when Acosta was clearly being sarcastic to make a point.

All I can say is that I hope the WH doesn't require immigrants to speak the language of sarcasm, since clearly they don't speak it either.

This WH aid is daft.

How long before this guy gets canned?
edit on 2-8-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Its just a poem used to drum up funding for the project. At the time it was a good advertisement for what we needed, namely cheap unskilled labor. They came to this country and pulled their own weight. They knew they needed to learn English to succeed here and received no welfare, etc. other than what their fellow immigrant or religious affiliation could provide.

The Constitution does not guarantee immigration to this country. What we don't need is throngs of low educated, low skill workers. We have plenty already. What we do need if a logical approach to immigration. Right or wrong, English is the universal world language and what we speak here. I think if I immigrated to any other country I'd be expected to learn their language.

We don't need low skilled people because Americans won't accept the jobs, we need a sufficient labor shortage to drive up the wages of these jobs. Yes, prices would go up for some commodities but maybe they have been artificially low because we have been taking advantage all this time. Let the Capitalistic supply and demand forces either generate machines that will keep the prices down or pay a wage Americans will accept. (It will have to be more than welfare).

We can't possibly take everyone. Altruistic ideals are fine if you can afford them. If you want to come to this country we should need your skills and you should be happy to assimilate.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Yet not all of the "wretched refuse" were allowed in. Many were declared unfit by being dangerous or contagious, insane or mentally deficient, loathsome or likely to become a public charge, and were deported,

www.gjenvick.com...

In cases so certified the law is mandatory, and the medical certificate is equivalent to exclusion, the board simply applying the legal process necessary for deportation.
Aliens certified by the medical officers as suffering from disability, likely to make them public charges, are also held for examination before the board of special inquiry.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I bolded that part as evidently you do not understand US Immigration Policy . I have friends that have became US citizens within the last few years. Legally . African . Iraqi . They had to learn about the US and had to take tests (in English only) to qualify . Tests that I dont think most of the US citizens could pass.
It has always been that the major requirement was to speak English . From day 1.
Want to challenge ?

edit on 8/2/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Yes, The New Collossus definitely does represent American values, or at least it should. Despite the apparent fact that some on the right would like to see that changed.

At this point in time, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them propose having the poem removed and replaced with the Confederate Stars & Bars, cast in bronze.

What doesn't accurately represent American values, (in almost anything they do) is Donald Trump, Steve Miller and the vast majority of Trump administration appointees.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

The poem was written at a time when it was expected that all coming here would do so legally. I don't think it should be interpreted as support for open borders.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
...Contrary to whatever rambling this may invoke in your triggered brain...

What? I was merely curious if there was a correlation wherein you yourself were like the people you listed. I'm not triggered. Is it possible you were projecting?
edit on 31pm17fpmWed, 02 Aug 2017 18:00:27 -0500America/ChicagoWed, 02 Aug 2017 18:00:27 -0500 by Wayfarer because: spelling

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DrChandra

Thanks for the reasoned reply!

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
I bolded that part as evidently you do not understand US Immigration Policy

Oh I'm quite aware of the requirement. My OP references the exchange between Steven and Jim, not my own thoughts on the matter. I was positing it here to see what a collection of thoughts from all angles of the spectrum would think.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wreckclues

Yet not all of the "wretched refuse" were allowed in. Many were declared unfit by being dangerous or contagious, insane or mentally deficient, loathsome or likely to become a public charge, and were deported,

Quite right you are. There was just as much working against the spirit of that poem when it was first put up as there is now (arguably more).

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: bluesjr

Fair enough. Do you think having closed boarders (or boarders effectively closed except in overwhelmingly important situations) still adheres the the tenets of the poem?

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
a reply to: bluesjr

Fair enough. Do you think having closed boarders (or boarders effectively closed except in overwhelmingly important situations) still adheres the the tenets of the poem?

I haven't considered that as nobody is suggesting it. I think what most folks on the right want is to get back to 100% legal immigration. I believe we average somewhere near 1 million legal immigrants per year, though I have only seen a few data points.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
"American Values"... Values are a spook

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

When our ancestors came here, it certainly was indicative of the American spirit. Nowadays... we've forgotten a lot of things that our ancestors found admirable.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join