It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California seceding a reality ? Your thoughts ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
This is my take:

January 1st, 2018: California becomes an independent nation and removes Trump's Wall

January 2nd, 2018: California is invaded by illegals and changes name to Mexifornia.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: kurthall

January 1st, 2018: California becomes independent nation.

January 2nd, 2018: California is invaded by china, becomes official territory of china.

Really though, how would california protect itself, how would interstate taxes work, transit, would someone living in california no longer be an american citizen. If they wanted to move to texas would they have to apply for citizenship?

I watched some tard on tucker this morning talk about how awesome this would be, surprisingly he had no answers for any questions. Stupid people don't think about the "hard" stuff, they just get a dumb idea in their head and then stroke it for their own enjoyment.

You are acting like Cali and the U.S. would not be allies. You don't see China invading Mexico or Canada.

We would certainly be allies, if not by force, due to the location of the great nation of california being a vulnerable access point to the united states.

But that aside, what about the costs. California would need to budget much more money for defense, border security, and things like picking up the tab for formerly federal funded interstates. There are a ton of costs involved. Costs that would quickly make their larger positive economy turn them into a struggling nation. I doubt anyone who's actually sat down and put pen to paper to do the math would come out the other end as a pro calexiter.

False..

California would actually get SO much more money..

Think about all that Federal income tax those millions of rich Californians pay, that would go right to the California government, they would probably actually LOWER their total tax amount tbh. Crazy I know.

California can do it, and they may be better off financially.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox I think there would be 'Rich White Flight'

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I say let them secede and then we invade them.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Goodbye , Goodriddance to em .
Let the door hit em on their ass on their way out .
U.S be better off without kommiefornia .

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

a reply to: [post=22518209]ketsuko[/post

The U.S. would be more than happy to keep its military here. Again you don't see China invading Canada.

A majority of the country hates California soooo I'm thinking they'll just get the middle finger if this happened.

No protection no food no water if y'all are so bad ass then figure it out yourselves.

And there will be people and business leaving in droves should calexit get even close to a reality.

This would be a bad idea for libtardia.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Since all land lying outside the original states was at some point federal land and the federal government had to grant them statehood, do they really have the authority to secede?

If they were successful the rest of the country would confiscate the defense industry base because we couldn't be dependent on a foreign country for our defensive forces. Similarly the silicon valley tech world would soon face American competition. If the red counties rebelled they would lose their agricultural base. So then all you would have are the rich elites and illegals.

Good luck with your tourism income.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SilentStigma

a reply to: [post=22518209]ketsuko[/post

The U.S. would be more than happy to keep its military here. Again you don't see China invading Canada.

A majority of the country hates California soooo I'm thinking they'll just get the middle finger if this happened.

No protection no food no water if y'all are so bad ass then figure it out yourselves.

And there will be people and business leaving in droves should calexit get even close to a reality.

This would be a bad idea for libtardia.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
As per usual, more people on the right are talking about this than anyone on the left.

And y'all should get off the couch sometime and visit California... instead of getting caught up in (and basing your views by) one-off articles about California from right-wing media.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

False.

California actually doesn't get back all that much more than it pays out to the feds.

And the total is below the $400B the state would have needed to enact single payer.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
As per usual, more people on the right are talking about this than anyone on the left.

And y'all should get off the couch sometime and visit California... instead of getting caught up in (and basing your views by) one-off articles about California from right-wing media.

I have relatives who live there, thanks.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: Plotus
And simply, housing for the certain influx of new immigrants.

This got me thinking - how would the U.S. deal with the sudden influx of Californians sneaking under the fence to escape the tyranny of President Moonbeam? Hopefully the "open borders" crowd gets their way in this timeline.

Actually the calexiter I saw today stated that california would enforce their borders, the irony almost blew me out of my chair.

You have to remember, these people are irrational, completed blinded to reality and in some way possibly legally mentally handicapped.

Even the most obvious, glaring, burning bits of irony fail to register at all with them.

Not so much blinded in reality but blinded by federal aid money. The thing about these liberals is that they love to do "virtue signalling" with lines like "The government should really spend more money on this problem.", "These poor people have so little, and those tech people earn so much, just a few cents in the dollar wouldn't be noticed by anyone, but would go a long way to fix this problem." When there is no federal government and the tech people have moved out of state, reality hits them like an Amtrak commuter train at full speed. Suddenly the tax man in the black suit and briefcase is at their door knocking and is not going to go away.

edit on 2-8-2017 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

And who says we havent ?
Do you know why California is not overpopulated ?
They migrate by the droves to the Southern US.
The ones that I know all speak of how much better it is here . And generally , they no longer have ANYTHING good to say on their old home State. Fact being they want California out of the Union
Take it as you will.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Its a movement that is older than you think as it is not the first time it has come up. This most recent attempt started with some guy who established a "California" "Embassy" i Russia. He has decided to stay in Russia now as he no longer wants to live under the American economic system or the American political system...good riddance.

There are two competing groups who have picked up the "Calexit" banner from the guy who left for Russia and they have a rather large up hill battle ahead of them. Succession is not exactly a choice under the current Constitution so even if they manage to gain enough signatures to get it on the ballot means nothing.

Lets say for some reason it passes and the US government says okay...they would have to change the US Constitution which would require a special amendment proposal by Congress which would then need to pass a majority or two-thirds vote and would then require a special session of the states legislature in every state who would vote yea or nay to ratify the amendment and 38 of 50 states would have to say yes.

The 27th amendment is the most recent addition to our Constitution. It was submitted in 1789 to the States for ratification and eventually approved as part of the Constitution finally in 1992, which is 202 years, 7 months and 10 days. Good luck to California, me thinks they will need it

www.archives.gov...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

The problem with all of that is...they don't have much of an army...and after the tons of folks who would leave in that scenario are gone...how do they defend all the goodies theyre gonna take away?

They don't that's how...the get retaken and uncle sam losses all their leaders under a jail somewhere or flat out executes them.

Would be a win win for the rest of the country though =D

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

Cute name, but, California is anything but, it is a Liberal faced, full of neoliberal Capitalist-Corporatist authoritarians
edit on 2-8-2017 by XAnarchistX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Question:

What nation currently holds more of the US debt than any other?

Question:

How does the US currently offset much of that debt, and what would it do the US economy if it became much more difficult to offset that debt?

Question:

On its own, California is ranked as the eighth largest economy in the entire world, how do the rest of the world's lower ranking nations defend themselves?

Question:

Where do you think the busiest US ports on the west coast, gateway to one of the answers above, exist?

Question:

What do you think would happen to the remaining US economy if those ports suddenly became part of a "foreign country" more than willing to charge HUGE import and export tariffs?

You really think ports in Washington and Oregon would be able to scale up capacity fast enough to keep the US economy from collapsing?

Oh, and that naval base in San Diego?

Maybe it's acquired, or maybe it gets leased back to the US

For big bucks or a sweet deal.
edit on 2-8-2017 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
a reply to: Lucidparadox I think there would be 'Rich White Flight'

There apparently has already been a large middle.class flight from California. I think you're right. Not only would you see some upper class earners (taxpayers) flee, but probably corporate flight as well.

It would be a disaster.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: butcherguy

I think they would be absorbed by Mexico at some point if they did secede.
If U.S. history is used as a precedent, secession will not be tolerated by the Federal Government.

Worse, after they drive out all of the middle class and are broke, they will lease out to China and Russia. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Chinese military presence (troops and missiles) in California?

Yeah, that is exactly how it would go.

You think the Cuban missile crisis was bad, let a foreign power move a few hundred thousand troops onto your continent.

That's THE reason it won't be allowed.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   
A lot of the off the hook policies have already made their way to the Pacific NW, a place where that used to not be tolerated and still is not tolerated in many places in the region.

The seceding may slow the ones causing the above from crossing over into the region but the food prices will skyrocket. That is as a lot of food comes from California. I don't believe that will be limited to the West coast either.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join