It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California seceding a reality ? Your thoughts ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
For some time now there has been talk of California seceding from the United States, a Cal-exit. What are the implications you see? The positive aspects ? And would you favor secession ?

Feel free to illuminate us on your opinions and why.
Has California become a mindset toxic to the 49 other United States, are you in favor of their liberal mindset and policies.

Do you think there would be a mass exit of money and wealth, and do you think they would import primarily poverty.
The trend seems of a cash-exit to neighboring states.

Or perhaps a north south separation with the south only seceding ?
And do you think California would succeed on it's own, independent of the Greater United States ?

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I think they would be absorbed by Mexico at some point if they did secede.
If U.S. history is used as a precedent, secession will not be tolerated by the Federal Government.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I think they would be absorbed by Mexico at some point if they did secede.
If U.S. history is used as a precedent, secession will not be tolerated by the Federal Government.

Worse, after they drive out all of the middle class and are broke, they will lease out to China and Russia. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Chinese military presence (troops and missiles) in California?

Yeah, that is exactly how it would go.

You think the Cuban missile crisis was bad, let a foreign power move a few hundred thousand troops onto your continent.
edit on 2-8-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

We are the most visited state in the U.S. I would not mind at all branching off from the U.S. Keep our money here where it belongs, and have our own government. I am Okay with that. Cali is a great place to live, you can Ski and surf in the same day! The only thing I hate is traffic, but I am used to it.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
If California left, how soon would Oregon and Washington try to go with them?

What would happen to the large portions of those states that really aren't leftist?

How would be broker that?

And how quickly would we shut off water rights?

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
January 1st, 2018: California becomes independent nation.

January 2nd, 2018: California is invaded by china, becomes official territory of china.

Really though, how would california protect itself, how would interstate taxes work, transit, would someone living in california no longer be an american citizen. If they wanted to move to texas would they have to apply for citizenship?

I watched some tard on tucker this morning talk about how awesome this would be, surprisingly he had no answers for any questions. Stupid people don't think about the "hard" stuff, they just get a dumb idea in their head and then stroke it for their own enjoyment.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

What would happen to the large portions of those states that really aren't leftist?

"What would happen to the large portions of those states that really aren't leftist"?

That is why I question a north south choice in secession.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

We pay for water here, and I doubt that water rights would be done away with. The rest of the U.S. gets plenty from CA. What we really need to do here is make more desalination plants , and lots of them. There is a great big Ocean with a ton of water.
edit on 2-8-2017 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

Keep our money here where it belongs, and have our own government. I am Okay with that.

Sounds like an advocate of states rights speaking there.

link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

January 2nd, 2018: California is invaded by china, becomes official territory of china.

Really though, how would california protect itself, how would interstate taxes work, transit, would someone living in california no longer be an american citizen. If they wanted to move to texas would they have to apply for citizenship?

I watched some tard on tucker this morning talk about how awesome this would be, surprisingly he had no answers for any questions. Stupid people don't think about the "hard" stuff, they just get a dumb idea in their head and then stroke it for their own enjoyment.

You are acting like Cali and the U.S. would not be allies. You don't see China invading Mexico or Canada. I also don't see the U.S. pulling out all of its military here. We have a lot!
edit on 2-8-2017 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

link   
californian " independance " would be a farce

they have only one REAL " bargaining chip " - agricultural produce - and the other 47 CONUS states could easily elimate that in the time it takes to pass the acts of secsession

can california build enough electricity generation capability in the same time ?

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Or their electricity?
They get a lot of that from other states.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Not ever gonna happen.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

originally posted by: MisterSpock

You are acting like Cali and the U.S. would not be allies. You don't see China invading Mexico or Canada.

We would certainly be allies, if not by force, due to the location of the great nation of california being a vulnerable access point to the united states.

But that aside, what about the costs. California would need to budget much more money for defense, border security, and things like picking up the tab for formerly federal funded interstates. There are a ton of costs involved. Costs that would quickly make their larger positive economy turn them into a struggling nation. I doubt anyone who's actually sat down and put pen to paper to do the math would come out the other end as a pro calexiter.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Never gonna happen, it's just a fantasy of a small group very vocal of nutjobs. I remember someone else's comment on the subject saying what are we going to do when China invades, throw joints and dildos at them? Crude but spot on.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
They can try, and maybe succeed, but the result will be that they lose a ton of population, then get invaded and taken over. No way the US will allow the loss of that much territory ever, much less let it slip back to Mexico...as if that would ever even he a thing. Basically its a pipe dream at best and delusions from diluted people lol.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Never gonna happen, it's just a fantasy of a small group very vocal of nutjobs. I remember someone else's comment on the subject saying what are we going to do when China invades, throw joints and dildos at them? Crude but spot on.

I know its not going to happen, I am not stupid, this thread was kind of a what if.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

How do you guys do that with a $1.6B budget deficit?

Understand, any money you get from the Feds will be gone and also your responsibility. If my research is correct, you get back close to what you send in, so it's not like you're getting a huge windfall to close any budgetary gaps.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Your economy would tank and business would leave in droves.

The LA riots are a good example of what lies beneath your welfare state culture. Utter Chaos.

Btw, if you ever somehow did that, you would go from being a state, to an occupied country overnight and wake up with less rights than you went to bed with.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

And what are you going to pay us for that?

And why should be defend you on top of everyone else?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join