It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay - I'm tired of these new tabs every time I try to post to a thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Look, I run websites, and I know that creating these additional tabs enhances this forums views and hits, but by the time I finally notice how many I now have opened, I spend 10 minutes closing them. PLUS they take up memory which then slowly slows the computer down.

Please, stop opening a new tab, just let me post in the tab that I already have open.

Fred

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: fredrodgers1960
Is it your browser, perhaps?
I use Firefox, and I don't get that issue. I'm not getting it now.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I finally notice how many I now have opened

How is it an ATS problem when you admit to have opened many tabs?

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I don't have the issue you are having either so perhaps it could your browser settings which are opening a new tab each time. I know in Google Chrome settings it is an option to open each new page in a separate tab.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The only time a new tab is supposed to open is when you click on the last reply in the MyATS screen. The rest of the time the threads should be opening in the same tab (clicking thread title, or last post from the Recent page). If you're getting new tabs clicking on anything from MyATS, you should scan your system.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: fredrodgers1960
Look, I run websites, and I know that creating these additional tabs enhances this forums views and hits, but by the time I finally notice how many I now have opened, I spend 10 minutes closing them. PLUS they take up memory which then slowly slows the computer down.

Please, stop opening a new tab, just let me post in the tab that I already have open.

Fred

If you run websites why are you having a problem I have 0 issues with? None of what you are talking about happens to me. So its not ATS. Check your browser settings and such.

edit on 2-8-2017 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2017 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
It´s possible to set this up so it will only spawn one tab and then load every link in that single tab. Problem being, many people who are used to this, will now have to use "open in new tab".

In my opinion, users should decide if they want automatic new tabs or not.

a reply to: kurthall

If you run websites why are you having a problem I have 0 issues with?

Totally unrelated to his problem. Just because someone is a car mechanic with his own shop, doesn´t mean his car will never break down.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

No such issue ever. Its apparently something you are or not doing. We dont get such issues.

And you said you run websites? You cant figure out why we dont have the same problem our way??????

Good luck though!*

*PS -if youre not back-clicking while responding...its known to keep creating new tabs....just arrow back.
**PPS- Compose in Word or some other doc. program...when it looks good...cut n paste into your ATS reply/post box
edit on 2-8-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
@MysteriousStranger

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The only time a new tab is supposed to open is when you click on the last reply in the MyATS screen.

Emphasis added.

This is what he´s doing, stop being smartasses if you can´t comprehend the problem.
edit on 2-8-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
@MysteriousStranger

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The only time a new tab is supposed to open is when you click on the last reply in the MyATS screen.

Emphasis added.

This is what he´s doing, stop being smartasses if you can´t comprehend the problem.

Don't see where the original poster said anything about it only happing when he does the MyATS screen, SO not sure why you jumped on someone about that. Maybe guess that I may be having the same trouble comprehended like you said to the mod.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: OzManHero
I was quoting Zaphod as he gave the only explanation. The post was directed at mysteriousstranger.

Maybe guess that I may be having the same trouble comprehended like you said to the mod.

Duh.

Edit: I believe I had enough conversations with Zaphod so he can judge who the post was pointed at. As it should be even more clearly by the very first letters in my post that you somehow achieved to ignore...:

@MysteriousStranger

edit on 2-8-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: OzManHero

Miscommunication then...must be something to us both in explaining.....because doing the same thing...I create no multiple open tabs...as dont many other members.

Member Kurthall said the same thing as I as well above.

Mod Zaphod58 mentioned checking his computer....as did I in its something on his end.

Its o-k!
Thank you!...........MS

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Hey V! Its all good...understood. Peace!

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Really? If you go to MyATS and click on the names behind the thread names that take you to the last post (not page 1)....
(as described by Zaphod) you don´t get multiple tabs?

If that´s the case, you need to check your computer.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Browser setting, not a site one. I do open multiple tabs, but I choose to do so. Unless I do, it's the same one. Check your settings.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   

It's a browser setting change it and you will be fine.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

If it were a browser setting, it would not be the standard one.

You (as the webmaster) can setup links so they all will open in one tab with the "target"-tag. It´s done in the HTML/CSS part and has nothing to do with ones browser setting.

IE/FF/Chrome do not always yield the same results for the same page because they parse the content differently.

But what do I know...

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

You (as the webmaster) can setup links so they all will open in one tab with the "target"-tag. It´s done in the HTML/CSS part and has nothing to do with ones browser setting.

IE/FF/Chrome do not always yield the same results for the same page because they parse the content differently.

But what do I know...
The last post link on the myATS page is coded to open a new window or tab so that is not a browser setting.

target='_blank'

That's from the html source and it's an instruction to open a new window or tab. You may be able to override that with a browser setting, depending on your browser, if you want to hack into your browser settings. This explains how to hack into Firefox settings to override the html code:

Is there any way to override HTML's target=“_blank” behavior as an end user?

Users who want to change this behavior need to type in about:config in a tab in the Firefox web browser. This should open the Firefox configuration. First time users need to accept a disclaimer. They then need to filter for the term browser.link.open_newwindow. The default value of that entry is 3 which opens links that would normally open in a new window in a new tab.

To force Firefox to open links (no matter if they have been designed to open in a new tab or window) in the same tab one would need to change the value to [1] which will open all links that would normally open in a new window in the same tab. Changing the value to [2] would open new windows in a new window (duh).

Value of 1: Opens links that would normally open in a new tab or new window in the current tab or window
Value of 2: Open links that would normally open in a new window, in a new window
Value of 3: Open links that would normally open in a new window in a new tab in the current window (default)

That of course will override the open in new tab behavior completely, on all sites that have "new tab" links, not just ATS. If there's a way to override it on just ATS I'm not sure how to do that.

edit on 201787 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

But what do I know...

Of course a webpage can set things up a certain way, but this site doesn't automatically do that. Unless I specifically work to open a new tab, a link opens on the same tab I was using.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Go to your MyATS. Click on a persons reply. New tab every single time for me. Firefox and Chrome. I have several links that I am following and I now literally have to close each tab before I click on another one. In fact, this is a new tab that I'm typing in.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join