It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Observe Gravitational Anomaly on Earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Symmetries are the holy grail for physicists. Symmetry means that one can transform an object in a certain way that leaves it invariant. For example, a round ball can be rotated by an arbitrary angle, but always looks the same. Physicists say it is symmetric under rotations. Once the symmetry of a physical system is identified it’s often possible to predict its dynamics.

Sometimes however the laws of quantum mechanics destroy a symmetry that would happily exist in a world without quantum mechanics, i.e classical systems. Even to physicists this looks so strange that they named this phenomenon an “anomaly”.

OK. I'm following so far. That scary "quantum mechanics" has popped up. In quantum land, symmetry does not always hold. That is how quantum computers work. Following so far.

Now however, a new type of materials, the so-called Weyl semimetals, similar to 3D graphene, allow us to put the symmetry destructing quantum anomaly to work in everyday phenomena, such as the creation of electric current.

In these exotic materials electrons effectively behave in the very same way as the elementary particles studied in high energy accelerators. These particles have the strange property that they cannot be at rest — they have to move with a constant speed at all times. They also have another property called spin. It is like a tiny magnet attached to the particles and they come in two species. The spin can either point in the direction of motion or in the opposite direction.

Huh? Wikipedia - Weyl semimetal.

There is a manufactured semimetal that works on the quantum level. Weyl predicted chiral (handedness, like left- or right-handedness) massless Fermions (regular matter stuff, has weight, etc) from quantum equations. Following along although I have never heard of Weyl semimetals. The semimetal carries an electric charge. And they are crystal. Kind like piezo electrics, OK. Following... they can spin in either direction. Gotcha.

[Chirality] would come with separate symmetries attached to them and their numbers would be separately conserved. However, a quantum anomaly can destroy their peaceful coexistence and changes a left-handed particle into a right-handed one or vice-versa.

Appearing in a paper published today in Nature, an international team of physicists, material scientists and string theoreticians, have observed such a material, an effect of a most exotic quantum anomaly that hitherto was thought to be triggered only by the curvature of space-time as described by Einstein’s theory of relativity [i.e., black holes]. But to the surprise of the team, they discovered it also exists on Earth in the properties of solid state physics, which much of the computing industry is based on, spanning from tiny transistors to cloud data centers.

New calculations, using in part the methods of string theory, showed that this gravitational anomaly is also responsible for producing a current if the material is heated up at the same time a magnetic field is applied.

IBM.com, July 19, 2017 - Scientists Observe Gravitational Anomaly on Earth.

What?!!! They have created electricity from gravity?! Using a Weyl semimetal (crystal) they took a quantum anomaly to "convert" gravity to an electric current?"

Am I reading this correct, ATS?

Because if you can go one way... you should be able to go the reverse direction, right? That would make using an electric current able of shielding gravity?? In ordinary semiconductors to boot!

Or has TEOT spent too much time here on ATS thinking about FTL travel and Big Black Triangles??

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
So if I rotate magnetic balls, free energy?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
thats pretty awesome stuff......i probably understood most of it....i hope lol

ok.....so UFOlogists have posited weve had this tech since at least the 50s.....right? We know the Nazis were working on alternative propulsion systems (nazi bell, mercury fuel etc)

and plus what about Teslas work? he basically admitted to having discovered a form of electricity that behaved very differently from Line electricity and it also didnt seem dangerous as he could bathe in its perfusive glow and suffer no noticeable ill effects.

so using novel materials to convert energy ......i think its been around a while no?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

This is old news ...

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I read it as doing the opposite, electric current could convert to gravity.

They used Gravity to produce electricity the inverse is use electicity to create excess gravity.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

The equations that describe the universe at the smallest and largest scales — like how the tiniest elementary particles dance — predicted a slight incongruity, a tiny unbalancing in the numbers of certain particles under certain circumstances. But physicists have yet to observe this phenomenon — with the name of mixed axial-gravitational anomaly — and confirm the prediction. The imbalance is negligible except when the warping of space-time is extreme, like next to a black hole.

Deccan Herald - July 25, 2017 - For a better understanding of black holes.

Seem relatively recent. (D'oh! Didn't mean the pun! Just saying it seems new).

But instead of a black hole they used Weyl semimetal. And did a macro world from quantum in the process.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Try re-reading your post but from a goofball perspective!

a reply to: tribal

IDK. I was looking for "chiral light" to go post something wonderful on the Alien Communication thread and ran across "mixed axial–gravitational anomaly" and IBM's research paper. Having not heard of the material or the anomaly figured who better to ask than the fine folks here at ATS!

Figured a few would say, "Chill dude! Old news" and put me back on two feet. This is from within the last week.

The gravitational anomaly popped out from equations that describe how particles called pions moving at close to the speed of light could decay into gravitons, the fundamental particles that carry the force of gravity. Usually, the laws of physics prohibit pions from falling apart in this way. But under Einstein’s theory of general relativity, the curving of space-time can tip the balance to allow this decay to occur. A pion consists of two smaller pieces: a quark and an antiquark.

Source - "For a better understanding of black holes" article.
edit on 31-7-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: formatting

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

They used Gravity to produce electricity the inverse is use electicity to create excess gravity.

They appear to be saying that heat + magnetic field = current, due to an anomaly (breaking the symmetry of spin) that was previously only believed possible under certain other conditions.

Not sure how this has become "we can convert gravity to electricity, so we must be able to convert electricity to gravity!"

ATS has a fair number of scientists with in-depth knowledge of the matter and I would really rather enjoy being told that I'm completely wrong and this does indeed translate into synthetic gravity generation. I do rather like the idea of anti-gravity cars in my lifetime.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

That was me jumping the gun!

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

DP

ETA: I jumped the gun by turning it around. That was my thinking. I now see that it is probably wrong as the asymmetry come from flipping chirality allowing pion decay to happen. They got a current out not from gravity but conditions similar to the effects of gravity near a black hole's event horizon. Not an actual tap of gravity.

Still better than actually having to create a singularity to test that anomaly!
edit on 31-7-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: reuse, repurpose, recycle

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
So if I rotate magnetic balls, free energy?

In theory, you could take a large body of water, create a hole somewhere, put a propellor in that hole and attach a dynamo to that propellor. The dynamo has magnets that induce an electric field in wires. They you would get free electricity in those wires from the potential energy of water and gravity from the Earth.

What's happening here is that they are getting a perpetual current in these metallic crystals as long as they are being heated up and a magnetic field is applied at the same time. But they are probably putting more energy into the system than they are getting out. This current is due to chirality in some sub-atomic aspect. Maybe like how plastic windmills spin in the breeze due to the assymmetry of the blades.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Are we to assume that 2nd law of thermodynamics gets banished to oz land once that quantum clown smiles down on gramps Hawking.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

What?!!! They have created electricity from gravity?! Using a Weyl semimetal (crystal) they took a quantum anomaly to "convert" gravity to an electric current?"

Am I reading this correct, ATS?

Just modern nonsense. This effect was described by Nobel Laurette P.W. Bridgman way back in 1961. He showed that, using purely thermodynamic arguments in the field of thermoelectricity, that a time varying temperature (i.e. heating up material here) would induce an electric field in the material, and current would flow with the right arrangement. Magnetic, electric, and thermal effects are all interconnected in various ways, described by a number of thermoelectric and thermomagnetic effects known since the late 1800s. Gravity has nothing to do with it.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

No, it doesn't get banished. It is actually what is being measured by IBM (current).

But grandpa Hawking gets a closer look at what is behind the Event Horizon's curtain and how it works (at least theoretically).

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I have to admit, I am still getting my head around this.

Some of the terms such as 'spin' in quantum terms, are not the same as 'spin' in the macro world we are familiar with (In quantum terms, 'spin' is more like a charge than a rotational movement).

From what I understand, I don't think that the process would be reversible. For example, where electricity and magnetism convert freely into each other, things such as petrol being converted to vehicle motion is not reversible.

The biggest and most immediate advantage from this discovery is probably to spintronics (where each electron can theoretically carry more information than a single bit).

I also haven't 'done the numbers' but the anomaly would be vanishingly small in magnitude, so, no practical gravitational manipulation just yet.

Also, I'm not sure that the electricity generated from heating and magnetism via the anomaly would be great enough to identify it from the electrons produced from photoelectric effect.

edit on 31/7/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Gravity still needs an initial 'push' from a source of energy. The amount of energy you put in won't be same next time around.

This thread is pseudo science. Basic understanding of physics can prove this wrong.
A sphere is simply the most efficient object in the universe, it can expand and contract to harness energy. hence why atoms and electrons are depicted and seen as spheres, planets are spheres, etc, etc... bottom line is tho the amount of energy you put into a physical object of a law of physics means you won't get the same amount of energy back again. Those law applies to gravity as well.

A good example of this is lights used in third world nations where you hook a weight to an anchor chain, whined it up and let gravity 'create' the electricity for a LED light bulb. but gravity had nothing to do with the creation of the electricity, some other outside force had to pull that weight AWAY from gravity, a human, using energy itself.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Can this mean gravity and magnetics could be very related?

Maybe if like the earth and its atmosphere there is a threshold in quantam or magnetic field in something at a quantam level? Like space physics differs from earth due to gravity and or the magnetic field. Go a scale lower and same thing happens. Gravity or magnetism within that quantam threshold work differently like earth and space.

Also how similar or is this to the tesla energy idea but tapping into a different part of the magnetic field within?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I am going to suggest something Fringe...It seems possible in potential we can generate an Electro-Magnetic Wormhole.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Gravity still needs an initial 'push' from a source of energy. The amount of energy you put in won't be same next time around.

This thread is pseudo science. Basic understanding of physics can prove this wrong.
A sphere is simply the most efficient object in the universe, it can expand and contract to harness energy. hence why atoms and electrons are depicted and seen as spheres, planets are spheres, etc, etc... bottom line is tho the amount of energy you put into a physical object of a law of physics means you won't get the same amount of energy back again. Those law applies to gravity as well.

A good example of this is lights used in third world nations where you hook a weight to an anchor chain, whined it up and let gravity 'create' the electricity for a LED light bulb. but gravity had nothing to do with the creation of the electricity, some other outside force had to pull that weight AWAY from gravity, a human, using energy itself.

Good ol piece of pi.

3.14 must be important.

Wouldnt it be something if a black hole was a conglomeration of nothing but photons, sheathed by a layer of ....higgs boson particles?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

They used Gravity to produce electricity the inverse is use electricity to create excess gravity.

I'm thinking this could be directly tied to zero point energy... hmmmm intriguing to say the least

top topics

<<   2 >>

join