It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did You Ever Learn Something Here on ATS??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
You know, I think we can all say we've learned a thing or two here on ATS, but sometimes those learning moments are more profound than others.

Sometimes we all get caught up in emotion, posting from the hip. Other times, someone will say something which just doesn't seem right and rather than respond we dive off into the books and interwebz in search of the truth. Tonight was one such night for me. Convinced I knew something, I discovered a whole different part of the world I never knew about, one rich in history.

I'm a sucker for learning about history anyway, but I am especially appreciative when I am humbled by my own 'thinking otherwise'. It is one time I am never afraid and proud to offer a peace offering...even say I'm wrong even (though I didn't need to do this on this occasion).

I marvel at how much there is to learn here on ATS. It is by far one of the most "thinking" websites on the net. Some crazy, some profound, some nonsense, some combative, some wise, some sheer brilliance and even some idiocy sprinkled in, BUT...all of it makes you THINK! It wouldn't be the same if everyone was right, or nice even. It is a slice of the world we live in, warts and all. What an amazing place!

Despite all the naysayers who decry politics and the like, we learn...all of us, IF we take the occasion to "read" even if we don't like it. Honestly, I can't even count the number of times I've read a post from someone I can't even stand to read and suddenly am enlightened by something they say.

I can honestly say I really do try to read every post on a thread (all pages) before responding, though sometimes, I will admit, it's hard, but I am often softened in my response by reading the subsequent posts. This place just amazes me. When I joined up, just over 4 years ago, I wasn't sure I'd like it, or fit in, but now....I don't know, now I'm humbled in a way sometimes. (rare for me, I know).

I don't know, even now, if I 'fit in', but I know I can't imagine not coming to a place like this where there are so many bright, different, eclectic, contrary, imaginative, dissenting, expansive, crappy, funny, out-there, inquisitive and just plain good...minds.

Thanks, ATS!

Did YOU ever learn something here on ATS?

I did.

That is all.

edit on 7/31/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Learned how to make damned good Paprikash. Matter of fact I haven't seen the mod who posted the recipe around for awhile. FurryApe or something like that? All I remember is a Gorilla avatar....

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   

I have modified several of my positions from dialogue with and postings from other members on ATS. There is a great deal of wisdom here even from those that I would generally disagree with on most issues. Ultimately, I have been able to better define what is more important to myself and refine what I believe.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   

More than anything, I've learned more about myself. My short time here so far, has translated into the real world in many positive ways. Thanks ATS..

I'm forever learning and growing.. till infinite or till I'm 6 feet deep.. whichever comes first.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I've learned that you're just asking for it if you mention chemtrails or secureteam10.

edit on E31America/ChicagoMon, 31 Jul 2017 00:59:22 -05007amMondayst12am by EternalShadow because: correction

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   
As I noted, I can't even count the number of times I've had to take a breath and tell myself to just read what some person I've crossed swords with on a regular basis has said...only to be surprised.

We all feel passionately about our beliefs and experiences, believe we're "right". Always. I've come to realize I'm not always right (not just because of ATS, but it's helped). KH, you've hit a chord...I've always said "the day we stop learning is the day we die". So perhaps we're of the same cloth in a way. In any case, I believe that mantra.

I traveled the World to see things I would never otherwise see, to experience things others from my small home town would never experience...to broaden my horizons. And what I learned was how little I really knew, and how much I truly had to learn.

I see so many different slices of the World here, so many cultures, so many opinions, some small and some ever expansive. Some are right, some wrong, but all are insight. Sight into the mind of a person, a culture and a way of life. That's not something you can buy in a book, or see on TV (crap TV, TV is crap).

People take the time to type the words they do. It means something to them, or they wouldn't type those words. Anyone can just talk 'smack', but to write it down in a (mostly) coherent fashion takes inspiration. If someone has the passion to write it, then (with some exceptions) we should have the interest to read it.

One day, sometime in the distant future, I hope that someone will read my words and think in wonder about what inspired us during our time. Oh, I don't know, maybe just crazy ramblings, but I believe all the same.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Ummmm...I don't even know what 'secureteam10' even is...!

(off to research)

p.s. I could be back with a snarky comment, and enlightened comment, cowering under my bed or just laughing my ass off on my front porch in the rain...you never know. But, it's ATS, right?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   

I agree, the day you stop learning is the day you die...

The moment you think you know it all, is the same moment you know nothing...

The more you know, the more you realize you don't know...

Only a stupid person knows everything...

Insert cliche quote here...

Insert another cliche quote here...

edit on 31-7-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I've been a lurker for around 12-13 years. I have learned a huge amount by visiting frequently. I have my eyes opened to certain topics, learned to think out of the box and consider many different view points on others. I have seen the site go from being very alt left/anti establishment in the time of GW Bush, to very alt right/ anti establishment in the time of Obamma, to whatever it is now under Trump (least said the better I feel). I have loved the paranormal forums, conspiracy discussions, and yes, even some of the political debate (but emphasis on debate, not the whole I'm right/you're wrong shouting matches many feel pass for debate these days.)

I love being able to check in during important and uncomfortable news events as members can observe and report on many different sources at once meaning that it is one of the biggest and best ways to know what is happening (recent terror events in Britain are a good example as I live fairly close to one of them and know the exact area extremely well so was able to provide some location context into discussions).

Thank you ATS - for the Good, the bad and the very very Ugly!

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:35 AM
link   
How many times I've just known some other person just "hated my guts" (and the feelings were mutual), only to find out that, despite it all, they actually respected me for just never giving up, for always protecting my team(s) and never giving in. Only after I'd basically accepted abject failure (in my mind) would I find out I'd actually prevailed. Those moments are the hardest on me. Some of them brutal, both physically and mentally.

ATS is a white slate of sorts. We can wipe the board clean. We have the opportunity to look around and truly see what I call "balance". We can accept it, or fight on. I don't mean to suggest mediocrity is some sort of a balance point, because it is not. There is momentum, but momentum can be found in truth whereas untruth's wither in time.

I've often come closer to the truth (on such a wide variety of topics) here, more so than anywhere else. True personal enlightenment, inspiration and guidance is always found within, but pure "knowledge" and understanding comes from the outside. Seems ATS is pretty good on this front.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I love ATS. It has opened my eyes and mind and taught me alot about myself-and I am very thin skinned but getting better. I am so grateful to be learning so many new things about people and this life-some good, some bad. It is by far my favorite on the internet. I am still too insecure to start a thread so I am in awe of those with that much self-confidence-even if it's just the mud-pit and personals opinions (those are good to learn from, too.) I do think we need more ladies on here though-just to even out the heavy testosterone.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Some of the ladies here on ATS are some of the fiercest combatants of all!!

Testosterone is no match for some of them! (heck, I've even had to go out and chop some wood, pump iron and eat a raw steak before I could finish some responses here!)

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Over the years i have learnt numerous facts and snippets of info here,that i either did not know,or had not reason to think on.ATS is Very valuable in that way.You can click on a thread about one subject,but among the replies you find interesting informative lil nuggets on other subjects too,a lot of the time.Recipes and culinary inspiration,music,health matters,the site is so versatile and really has something for everyone.

And of course its an awesome blessing to be able to read in the ufo and paranormal and metaphysical forums,and to share one's own experiences too.I've come to realise also that it's better to agree to disagree when worldviews and opinions are irreconcilable,and respect that.The member one cannot find political or metaphysical common ground with,still has a lot of other aspects to them,and often they pleasantly surprise one with what they post on other matters.

There is not one day when i come onto this site that i don't learn something,and most often it is reliable info because info is vetted here,picked over with a fine tooth comb not just accepted the moment its posted,that is valuable.
edit on 31-7-2017 by Raxoxane because: Paragraphs

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   

I am always learning from ATS.

But I also remain a cynic. The journey of learning may begin with ATS but the resources spread out through the world and through time.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I do learn but recently my learning has gone down significantly.

I use ATS to learn.....

When I write a thread its usually the product of a day or twos research into a given topic and I use ATS as a means to consolidate my learning and present my findings. So I learn a lot from that.

Its the same with posting on other threads, I tend to end up doing quite a bit of research on a thread if I start to really get into it.

There is one big problem with "learning" from ATS and that is its reliability and bias, ATS is very much steeped in revisionist alternative history rather than what is considered historically accurate. Now this is a good thing in that it can help us question things and see things from a new perspective but I really think we have to be careful we don't go way off the deep end and lose touch with reality.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Ummm...I've learned a great deal of things in my ahem...daily...visits here...

Allot of what I've learned is confirmation or expounding on thoughts I'd pursued previously...

I suppose the largest lesson or rather...experiment I've had the pleasure to be a party of is the fascinating aspects of human nature...more to the point...exploring how manipulative people are...
Beyond that...how easy most are manipulated...how malleable emotional states are...how fantastically easy it is to control another persons or groups emotions...It's beyond profound how easy it is to hijack and steer behavior...

ATS is an experiment...one in which we are played and in which we also become the player...

This site is a behavioral scientists dream...

Thank you for participating...

YouSir

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I learned that some people think Masons worship Baphomet and eat babies.

They learned it was true.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ideas, inspiration and motivation for my scrips and screenplays invariably come from ATS.

Usually from the UFO, Paranormal, threads but the Gray Area produces some gems.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Yes, there have been numerous times that I have learned things here on ATS, and that learning runs the gamut of in-depth historical information, theories and events that I've never heard of that are fascinating, new ancient civilizations, and even things as "mundane" as knowing that I'm not the only one who thinks a certain way on a subject, or that there are times when logical and intelligent discussion with other people can be nearly impossible.

ATS is exactly that--it is a learning experience every single time that I visit, even when the only thing that I learn is that my sarcasm or direct way of speaking doesn't translate well via typed text. I love it when I find adversaries with whom I agree on topics (reaffirms that I'm not some ideological idiot), and when I find like-minded people with whom I wind up disagreeing on some things.

In any event, apparently like you, I come to ATS at least five days a week to learn and to grow in my own knowledge and understanding. Without ATS, I would be constantly researching nearly as many topics as I do, so it is definitely causing growth on my end.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Ideas, inspiration and motivation for my scrips and screenplays invariably come from ATS.

Usually from the UFO, Paranormal, threads but the Gray Area produces some gems.

When you need to add some hidden in plain sight Illuminati/Masonic symbols in your films, let me know.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join